Xubuntu question

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

ZN13
Steam ID:Z_Nelson13
Xubuntu question

Post by ZN13 » Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:37 pm

Does anybody know if I would be able to put Xubuntu on a Compaq Presario 1244 Laptop? Someone's selling one on craigslist for 25$, but it has no OS, so...
Why is it that every time I post in a thread, it dies?
:lol:

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:56 pm

Google know all. :wink:
From the specs on that site, its fast enough and he got it to work with another distro, and I think that was a few years ago (so hardware support is better). Only problem you might have is that there won't be a driver for something (because laptops are just that way), but then you could just "obtain" Win 98SE for it if Linux doesn't work. The way I see it is that it 99% likely it had it originally, so theres nothing wrong in getting it again.

ZN13

Post by ZN13 » Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:30 pm

I had found that page, but I think he's using slackware. But using the all-mighty google I was able to find stock specs, and I might need to upgrade the ram, but then it should be able to go.

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:55 pm

RAM is usually the most needed thing with older computers, those people in the past didn't stuff enough in. We bought 2 Thinkpads (300 and 400MHz) a couple months ago, the 300MHz is mine (its smaller) and the other is for my younger siblings to play older games on. They both had 32mb built in and a 32mb and 64mb stick each. So I swiped the 64mb from the other with the 32mb in mine, so mine is at its max of 160mb and the other is at 96mb, which is plenty for single tasking old stuff. I want to put linux on mine, but not having a CD or floppy drive for it makes it hard. I think I'll put the hard drive in the other to install it, since it has a floppy/DVD combo, its just not much of a priority for me right now.
Tell me if Xubuntu is good, I haven't had a chance to install it on anything yet and it doesn't have a live CD.

ZN13

Post by ZN13 » Tue Jul 31, 2007 11:19 pm

Well I e-mailed the guy and I'll probably buy it if he still has it.

@ vskid-I'm downloading the live-CD tonight and I'm going to try it out on my desktop, more specifically on the F: drive. I'll let you know how it is.

ZN13

Post by ZN13 » Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:41 am

Well I got the laptop, and it has full 160 Mb Ram :shock:
The 128 Mb stick is worth 30$ alone, and I paid 25$

But anyways, it has no battery, so I'm getting one on-line, and there was a charger issue but I think I have it temporarily resolved. Now I just need a Wi-Fi card and I'll be set.

So now I'm just curious to see who's got what running on what.

parkie

Post by parkie » Fri Aug 10, 2007 11:54 pm

Hint: Ubuntu runs using gnome and xbuntu does not it uses another one which requites a lot less to run it. So it should run fine :D