My Laptop is DIEING

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

Thornwillow
My Laptop is DIEING

Post by Thornwillow » Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:09 pm

I just got a junk laptop. It has Windows XP, 10GBHD and I dont know how much ram but it is REALLY REALLY REALLY SLOW!!!! Anyways, i keep getting these errors every so often. It seems i get them when I try to run too many things at once. Ive had the laptop for 2 weeks now and it just started happening. It used to do this along time and becuase the HD went out of place becuase a screw is missing and my dad couldnt find a screw for it so he duck taped it. Anyways, I keep getting errors in the middle of doing stuff on it, one of the errors, it goes to a blue screen and says that you must shut of the PC becuase it cannot find Windows XP and doing this will nto cause damage to the HD.

sometimes after i shut it off and turn it back on it says Operating System not found. I have to keep restarting it over and over till it works. Like i was downloading something today and i put a CD in and the error came up. I have no clue what the problem is, but I think it may be the Harddrive. Will I have to find a new hard drive? Where will I find a hard drive for it? Its a Compaq Presario 700, i think its spelled Presario. Anyways can anyone help me out?

Also how can you tell how much RAM you have?

gamemasterAS
Steam ID:lolz1337face

Post by gamemasterAS » Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:54 pm

right click my computer and select properties

Skyone

Post by Skyone » Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:28 am

Or [Windows Key] + Pause | Break!

Looks like you've got hard drive problems. I'd think about backing up your data and reformatting. :P

Thornwillow

Post by Thornwillow » Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:57 am

Thanks, but would you know where to buy a Presario 700 hard drive altogether? It really needs it, im thinking of just getting an external hard drive until I can find one. I'll try reformatting but the old owner of this laptop dropped it and the hard drive came out from the fall. So I think the hard drive is just finished. I don't have to worry about backing anything up becuase I haven't really even put anything on it except for acouple computer games. I'll go try reformatting if i can work my way to the desktop. Thank you and if anyone knows where i can find a Presario 700 notebook hard drive, be sure to let me know becuase it would be very helpful.

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:01 pm

Thornwillow wrote:Thank you and if anyone knows where i can find a Presario 700 notebook hard drive, be sure to let me know becuase it would be very helpful.
Any notebook hard drive should work as long as it's physically the same size (or smaller) than the current one. Laptop hard drives are a lot like desktop hard drives, they're generic.

Ben Cebhrem

Post by Ben Cebhrem » Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:58 pm

Yeah, just make sure you pick a 2.5" IDE Hard Disk Drive. Watch that you don't pick up a notebook SATA HDD in other words.

Thornwillow

Post by Thornwillow » Sun Jul 29, 2007 2:33 am

Alright thanks a lot, i'll try that.

Also, this PC I checked and it only has like 112MB RAM or somewhere around there but less then 128, i can live with its speed but I would be more then HAPPY if I could also upgrade that. But I have no clue if its possible or how to do it to a notebook. Do I need a certain type of RAM or can I just get any kind? :?:

Thanks again

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:35 am

Can you take a picture of the RAM module that's already in it? (It's probably a SO-DIMM.) The general way to upgrade laptop memory is to open a panel on the bottom or lift out the keyboard, then put the new memory module into the empty slot at an angle, then tilt it down until it clicks into the holder. It's really not that complicated once you get to the RAM.

Ben Cebhrem

Post by Ben Cebhrem » Sun Jul 29, 2007 10:11 am

You'll want SO-DIMM memeory. If I recall correctly, the Presario 700 does not ship mith a mdule in place, but rather onboard, and you can add either 256 or 512 MB of RAM to it. In any case, go to Compaq's site (if it still exists) and look for the manual- that can spell out the type of RAM you'll need.

Thornwillow

Post by Thornwillow » Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:29 am

Thanks for all the help.

Yesterday my laptop ran all day with no errors, and it was on like 6 hours. and today ive been having trouble. It wont let me on at all. I restarted it for 40 minutes over and over. I need a new Hard drive, and I was at new egg. Would this hard drive work on it? Sorry, but I am totally new on upgrading computers.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 822152501R

Ben Cebhrem

Post by Ben Cebhrem » Mon Jul 30, 2007 2:01 am

Yeah, that'll work quite fine.

Thornwillow

Post by Thornwillow » Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:20 pm

Okay thank you very much everyone, you all helped, if I need anymore help ill be sure to ask here.