Just got one--game suggestions?

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

So Many Kinds of Bagels
Just got one--game suggestions?

Post by So Many Kinds of Bagels » Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:27 pm

I just ordered a PS1 (along with a Dreamcast, see my other thread) and have never owned one. I looked at a bunch of Top 10 lists and things like that, but I want to know what you guys think are good games. So. What should I get?
Thanks.
Valve is the best company.

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:39 pm

Gran Turismo 1 and 2, Driver 2, Crash Team Racing, Blazing Dragons, Destruction Derby, any of the Jet Moto series, a Gameshark CDX, Ten Pin Alley, Moto Racer, and Battlestations come to mind.

(Can you tell I like driving games? :P)

So Many Kinds of Bagels

Post by So Many Kinds of Bagels » Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:48 pm

bicostp wrote:Gran Turismo 1 and 2, Driver 2, Crash Team Racing, Blazing Dragons, Destruction Derby, any of the Jet Moto series, a Gameshark CDX, Ten Pin Alley, Moto Racer, and Battlestations come to mind.

(Can you tell I like driving games? :P)
Lol, I was just going to bring that up when I saw the parentheses. Thanks. :D

Joes2Silly

Post by Joes2Silly » Sun Jul 22, 2007 6:33 pm

The spyro games were pretty good but a bit childish, other than that you can try to find a resident evil title or final fantasy :wink:

official xbox fiend

jedi knight

Post by jedi knight » Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:44 pm

I have a pretty good selection of PS1 games. Here are my favorites
Driver 1, Crash team racing (better than Mario Kart!), Final Fantasy 7 and 9 (didn't care much for 8), The Spiderman games, Legend of Dragoon, Chrono Cross, Metal Gear Solid (one of my favorite all time games, better than the sequels), Vagrant Story (weird battle system, but pretty nice once you get the hang of it), Megaman Legends 1&2, Parasite Eve, Resident Evil series, Castlevania SoTN, Gran Turismo series, Street Fighter Alpha 3, Marvel v.s Capcom, Brave Fencer Musashi, Lunar series, Wild Arms, Suikoden, Xenogears, and many more.
Okay so maybe I don't own ALL of the games, but I have played them and highly recommend them.
Meh, I don't post much.

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Sun Jul 22, 2007 8:58 pm

jedi knight wrote:Crash team racing (better than Mario Kart!)
Until your friends came over and only 2 people could play, unless you had the money for a multitap and it supported it. So if you had friends or a few siblings, Mario Kart 64 mops the floor with it. :wink:

11up

Post by 11up » Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:03 pm

All of the games mentioned above are worth grabbing. Especially Granturismo 1 and 2, one of my only reasons for owning a PSX, it's that good. (Can you tell I'm nuts about racing games too? Heck, Mario Kart DS was what made me want to get a DS in the first place :lol: ) But didn't you guys forget to mention Crash Bandicoot Warped? :wink: One of the Playstation's best games I think, a must have! :D

EDIT: Jedi Knight, Crash Bandicoot Warped was actually a good platformer, it was just the rest of his games (Other than Crash Team Racing that you mentioned) that sucked. :wink: And have you ever actually played CBW?
Last edited by 11up on Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
What's in your soda?

jedi knight

Post by jedi knight » Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:11 pm

vskid wrote:
Until your friends came over and only 2 people could play, unless you had the money for a multitap and it supported it. So if you had friends or a few siblings, Mario Kart 64 mops the floor with it. :wink:
That's true...Although most of the time if i play multiplayer it is only 2 player.
And at 11up, I didn't think that any of the Crash games were good other than the racing game.
Meh, I don't post much.

So Many Kinds of Bagels

Post by So Many Kinds of Bagels » Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:51 pm

Wow. Thanks.

Lorelis-san

Post by Lorelis-san » Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:44 pm

2 words...

DEMOLITION. RACER.

It's a great game, well worth seeking out and at least trying. It's a driver, obviously, and it's pretty sweet.

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:18 pm

vskid wrote:
At least Crash Team Racing is almost pure 3D, as opposed to Mario Kart 64's "sprites in a 3D environment" approach. Everything in CTR is a 3D model in one way or another, which allows for more realistic shadow and lighting effects and more flexible and smooth movement. It also has a story mode, a more customizable multiplayer arena battle system, and more unlockable tracks, arenas, and characters.

And yes, it does support the multitap. 4 players on a multitap battle is fun, but when you're crammed into a 4 way split screen the game feels more confined and you're even more susceptible to screen watchers. :P

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:31 pm

Meh, I like the Nintendo characters better. I also like the system that lets others play out of the box. And cartridge=zero load time. And the PS1 doesn't have Goldeneye or SM64. :wink:
But then I've never really liked Sony, the PSP is the only system I've bought of theirs while its still in production, and that wasn't for their games. But thats just my opinion, I'd rather have a Destruction Derby that doesn't look like its made of post-it notes (I swear thats what the PS1 one looked like) and an Italian plumber, others might like having a bandicoot.

THON

Post by THON » Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:54 pm

I agree with Joe. Resident Evil is definitely the way to go. I recommend playing them in the opposite order (Resident evil 3, 2, then original), as they get easier as they go along. The stories are also fantastic. However, whatever you do DON'T PLAY RESIDENT EVIL SURVIVOR. That's a disgrace to the Playstation.

I also highly recommend Dino Crisis 1 and 2, and Tekken 3.

Valium

Post by Valium » Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:57 pm

Twisted Metal 4 and V8: Second Offense are all that come to mind that haven't been said already.

Jongamer
PSN Username:Geekystig790
360 GamerTag:Mesu Gitsune

Post by Jongamer » Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:03 pm

Umm Tony Hawk pro Skater games is the only game series left to suggest. RE2 Kicks ass, but I heard n64 version has EVERYTHING the ps1 version had plus extras and better graphics, and supports the expansion pak.