New Project: Ps1 Portable

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

HotDog-Cart
Portablizer
PSN Username:Lythinca
Steam ID:scythe_king
New Project: Ps1 Portable

Post by HotDog-Cart » Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:13 pm

After getting a ps1 with 3 games and all the accessories needed to play. I just decided I'll make a portable, or try. Its summer. Heck I'll give it a chance :).

Parts Owned:
Ps1
Controller
Games
*Screen (I will be using it for another portable, so I gotta make it detachable or something).
Battery (I dont know if it will be enough voltage)
Cords

Parts needed:
Skill (Haha)
Confidence
Precision
*New Case (Maybe)

Wish me luck!

parkie

Post by parkie » Sat Jul 07, 2007 6:45 pm

Hotness!
Good luck

HotDog-Cart
Portablizer

Post by HotDog-Cart » Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:25 am

Update:
I've already opened the case and removed the RF shielding and such. My new case for the portable is like 60% done, as I'm using the same case as I used in my sega portable. (I ordered a new one from polycase.)
In my case I just have to cut holes for memory card (coming later, as I dont have one), and holes for controller, and a hole for the disk drive. (The disc will be spinning OUTSIDE the case)

After that, I have to connect everything, run it all off batteries (may not happen for a while..heh) and then fasten everything down. (Use screws? Glue? Tape?)

HotDog-Cart
Portablizer

Post by HotDog-Cart » Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:18 pm

Bump. I got a question. Is it okay for the bottom of the plastic that spins the disk, to sit on the ps1 board?

Like, I took the rf shielding off. So is it okay for the bottom of the laser and disk spinner part to sit on the ps1 board directly? or should I have something between the 2?

TheOnlyOneHeFears
Portablizer

Post by TheOnlyOneHeFears » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:30 am

HotDog-Cart wrote:Bump. I got a question. Is it okay for the bottom of the plastic that spins the disk, to sit on the ps1 board?

Like, I took the rf shielding off. So is it okay for the bottom of the laser and disk spinner part to sit on the ps1 board directly? or should I have something between the 2?
I'm pretty sure it's fine. I'm in the process of making a PS1 portable too, and during testing, I just put the CD drive directly on top of the motherboard, and soldered a switch to the lid sensor, and it ran perfectly well. The good thing about the PS1 mobo is that most of the stuff is surface mount, so you've got quite a bit of clearance between the board and the spinning CD. You might want to watch out for the moving laser though, it could get caught, but that didn't happen with me. The only thing I found was that it wasn't particularly stable, but that was probably just for me, as I didn't secure the CD drive. I presume you will hot glue it/use screws of something?

schmellyfart
Portablizer Extraordinaire
Steam ID:schmellyfart

Post by schmellyfart » Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:43 am

Your gonna need some, not a lot, but some :P space for the laser to move back and forth

HotDog-Cart
Portablizer

Post by HotDog-Cart » Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:28 pm

Update:

I finished cutting out the back of the case so the disk tray thingy will go there. Fits perfectly :).
I also broke 3 parts of my exacto knife :(.

Finished cutting the parts in the case for the screen.

I also got very scared, as I just tested my ps1 and I got no picture on the screen. But after re-adjusting the AV cable it worked. :)

Left to do: Cut holes for controller, and power. Secure everything in. Secure controller in place.

Felino

Post by Felino » Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:31 am

What the hell is an exacto knife?
Charlie wrote:I always wanted to try wall flips, but I'm too attached to my neck.

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:34 am

It's a small knife with interchangeable blades that's used for crafts and stuff.

http://portablesofdoom.org/page.php?page=basics

;)
Last edited by bicostp on Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HotDog-Cart
Portablizer

Post by HotDog-Cart » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:59 pm

LOL. :D

So Many Kinds of Bagels

Post by So Many Kinds of Bagels » Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:40 pm

Well, seeing as three of the four parts you need are abstract and cost nothing, you seem pretty ready. :D I like the detachable screen idea, whether or not you were forced into it.
Valve is the best company.

Felino

Post by Felino » Wed Aug 08, 2007 3:23 am

How am i suposed to know, i am ausie!

:P
Charlie wrote:I always wanted to try wall flips, but I'm too attached to my neck.