Networking Question

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

ghosstt
Networking Question

Post by ghosstt » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:05 am

ok, heres the deal, im putting my PC upstairs, ( i live in 2 story house), and there are some laptops downstairs. if i put the modem upstairs, and run a wireless router up there, will the lpatops downstairs get full signal? or should i buy a wireless cards for the PC so the router is downstairs.

SpongeBuell

Post by SpongeBuell » Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:00 am

I don't know about a full signal, but I'd imagine you'd be fine either way. We have a wireless router in our house, and we get coverage everywhere but the garage, which is on the other side of the house (and through quite a few walls and similar things)
Life of Brian wrote:
RYW wrote:RYW:

Rare
Yellow
Weasel
I'll be honest with you - I would have never guessed that.

Harshboy
Portablizer

Post by Harshboy » Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:17 am

You should be fine, I have my Wireless router (It's a Linksys WRT54GS With Speedbooster) in my room and I get a full signal in my basement using my Macbook and my Dad's Laptop gets full signal too. I can get just about everyones Wireless Internet that is on my street. Even my PSP and NDS can hook up to my house from my friends house which is across the street.

You should be fine.

PS: I also live in a 2 story house (Not counting the Basement) You'd be surprised how far your Wireless Router's Signal can go :wink:

ghosstt

Post by ghosstt » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:10 pm

Harshboy wrote:You should be fine, I have my Wireless router (It's a Linksys WRT54GS With Speedbooster) in my room and I get a full signal in my basement using my Macbook and my Dad's Laptop gets full signal too. I can get just about everyones Wireless Internet that is on my street. Even my PSP and NDS can hook up to my house from my friends house which is across the street.

You should be fine.

PS: I also live in a 2 story house (Not counting the Basement) You'd be surprised how far your Wireless Router's Signal can go :wink:
just bought the same one today. it works great, but can you make your own password? or do you need to use the one they give? and can wii and DS hook up to it?

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:27 pm

depends on the quality of your stuff too. my 3com wifi card can get a signal from my wrt54gc with 5db gain antenna from probably 50 yards outside my house, 80% or better signal from anywhere inside the house. but my cheap ashton digital usb wifi card starts losing signal if you get more than 50-75 foot line of sight from the router, im going to add an antenna to it tho and a 5db gain antenna, that should help :D

ghosstt

Post by ghosstt » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:20 pm

WPA pwns WEP right?

Harshboy
Portablizer

Post by Harshboy » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:30 pm

No idea about the password stuff. Everyone in this neighborhood have the same internet (Well, different speed, but it's all Comcast) and their own wireless set up(I get like 10 Wireless connections if I search lol)

My Wii and DS Hook up to it perfectly.

parkie

Post by parkie » Wed Jul 04, 2007 3:15 am

I run a simple WEP projector at my house, mainly cause i run lots of things that would be harder to set up with WPA set up, But i am sure if you are just running a simple set up go with WPA.