NES system + games, inside an NES advantage

Includes Atari 2600, Nintendo 8-bit, Sega Master System, MSX and more!

Moderator:Moderators

G-force
NES system + games, inside an NES advantage

Post by G-force » Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:03 pm

Just finished this early this morning in a caffeine induced madness. :) So here you go, a (nearly) full NES system in a NES Advantage gamepad.

It's a lot like my NES mini, only it has no cartridge slot, and it uses an NES Advantage controller instead of a normal NES controller pad. It still kicks butt though, check out the list off all the games on there
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Super_Joy_ ... t-in_games

It has a player 2 port, and yes, supports a lightgun! I stole the port from an NES extension cable bought for $3, then cut the cable and used the female connector from that.

No fancy LED mods this time, sadly :( The controller has LED's that blink when you press A or B though! It's pretty neat.

This got started when a guy came into the game store I work at and had a famiclone he wanted to get rid of called a "Family Boy". The store couldn't take it, but I sure could, and did! :D Only $5. It had a rather large board inside, so I went with an idea I wanted to do for a long time, and bought an Advantage for $5. For the player 2 port I went ahead and got an

Now the Family Boy was neat because it has 2 spots for a Famicom connector, and one had a cartridge soldered straight into it.
The cart had some built in games, but they sucked. Badly. So I desoldered that and replaced with with one of those "FUN TIME" 76 game multi-game-cart's. I didn't bother with a cartridge connector because I wanted this to be nice and easy, and I didn't see how a cartridge wouldn't lock up with someone pounding on the game like you do with a arcade style board like that. :P

I used a cell phone charger that outputted 5V to power the system, so that I didn't have to have a regulator in there, and thus no heat build up! Plus the cell phone charger conveniently folds up, and is lighter than normal power supplys.

I originally had a cartridge slot in the design. I even cut the shape out of the casing for it. But then changed my mind and superglued plasic over it, and hid my mistake with a Nintendo logo from a cartridge cover. Nice eh?

The player 1/2 switch got modified into a power switch after some nice cutting of traces. Why did it even have that option to control both players 1 and 2??? Contra? That'd be impossible to control 2 people at the same time... Ah well, it made for a convenient power switch!

Some wiring pics...

I'm off to shoot some ducks! Leave a comment please, I enjoy them :)

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:38 pm

Nice work as always, man! Looks great.

CTFan

Lorelis-san

Post by Lorelis-san » Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:13 am

That's what I call a great idea!

Looks sweet, nice use of an Advantage. A cartslot at the back would've made it just awesome though - but I guess a 72-in-1 cart would do for a while. Also, the "Nintendo" logo at the back to cover up the hole - now that's a sly trick. Most people would think it's just decoration!

Great idea, great work, now that's a good combination!

shmagoogin77
Portablizer

Post by shmagoogin77 » Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:41 am

you never seize to amaze us G-force :D

cowsgoquack101
Steam ID:cowsgoquack101

Post by cowsgoquack101 » Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:58 am

Bravo man, bravo!

Encore!

lifeisbetterwithketchup
Steam ID:lifeisbetterwithketchup

Post by lifeisbetterwithketchup » Fri Jun 29, 2007 12:24 pm

Impressive! Your mods are some of the best!
Rekarp wrote:
mako321 wrote:What makes you head ninja, anyways? :wink:
Cause I am Abe F#!@ing Lincoln. :mrgreen:

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:07 pm

wow, my family boy looks completly different on the inside! i have an extra advantage controller actually, mebe ill do the same thing but add a cartslot! dunno, i have enough to work on as is lol

jperryss

Post by jperryss » Fri Jun 29, 2007 3:29 pm

Very nice work!

Some may remember awhile back I was contemplating a NES-in-an-Advantage mod, inspired by your NES-in-a-controller mod, except I planned on using an original NES board (original hardware FTW!). The NES mobo size is extremely close to the size of the Advantage. It could be done, but you'd probably have to add at least 1/2" to the depth of the Advantage (who cares, it's an acrade stick not a game pad ;)) but it could certainly be done.

BTW here's two pics courtesy of tom61. The size really is close.
http://flickr.com/photos/tom61/36208571 ... otostream/
http://flickr.com/photos/tom61/36208571 ... otostream/

Turbo Tax 1.0
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by Turbo Tax 1.0 » Fri Jun 29, 2007 9:40 pm

slick g, pretty cool looking nes I like it a lot :D
when life gives you lemons make flux
snesp mk4

Metallica Man X
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by Metallica Man X » Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:14 pm

Marvelous, simply marvelous!
The answer to 1984 is 1776!
"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

dudex77

Post by dudex77 » Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:52 pm

Wow. That is pretty sweet but it sucks that theres no cartridge slot but hey you have a lot of built in games so it doesnt matter. Also the cart slot would probably end up being really screwy with the advantage being an arcade stick
Kurt_ wrote: I would use tact switches but I want the mushy feel. Mushy = God. (I typed that correctly).