Couple o' PSP questions

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

TheOnlyOneHeFears
Portablizer
Couple o' PSP questions

Post by TheOnlyOneHeFears » Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:09 am

I'm getting a PSP tomorrow off a mate for about £50 as he doesn't want it, and I've got a few questions regarding downgrading/custom FW etc.

1. The PSP has firmware 2.81 on it. Am I right in thinking I can upgrade to 3.03 and then downgrade to 1.5?

2. What custom FW would you guys recommend? I know the latest version is 3.40 OE-A, but I've heard stories about it being buggy and error ridden. Would it be better to get 3.30? I want to use my PSP for homebrew, emulators and PSX emulation.

3. Can you play ISO files of UMD games on normal PSP firmware (i.e. not custom)? Basically, could I use ISOs on the PSP in it's current state?

Cheers guys :)

Harshboy
Portablizer

Post by Harshboy » Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:17 am

1) Yes, upgrade it to 3.03 and Downgrade it (But be sure you have an Unpatched version of GTA:LCS - Unpatched Version has the 2.0 Firmware Update on it, not 2.60)

2) 3.03 OE-C is the best, install that. I have 3.40 OE-A and it's also fine

3) No

TheOnlyOneHeFears
Portablizer

Post by TheOnlyOneHeFears » Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:20 am

Cool, cheers for the quick reply. I'll get GTA:LCS off eBay, unless I can find a cheap second hand one.

Can 3.03 OE-C do everything I want to do?

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:25 am

Extra thread has been vanquished with the power of CAPTAIN PLANET! :lol:

Also, I'm running 3.40OE-A on my PSP, and I haven't experienced any bugs or problems whatsoever. If anything, I would recommend it over any 3.30 custom firmware, simply because the PSX emulation is better on 3.40, both in performance and compatibility. That's just my opinion, though. :) Good luck!

CTFan

Harshboy
Portablizer

Post by Harshboy » Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:27 am

Have fun getting one of those Unpatched GTA:LCS games :wink:

And yea, no bugs at all on 3.40 and i even have custom themes on it, etc.

DK

Post by DK » Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:55 am

I've got 3.40OE to, and had no major problems. Only peeve is that its sorta having problems finding my photos, but I think that might be my fault.

Harshboy
Portablizer

Post by Harshboy » Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:59 am

BIG INFO:

It seems that the game Lumines allows homebrew (Only Hello World atm) to run on all Firmwares (1.00 to 3.50)

I was just reading this on DC Emu. They say HEN and a Downgrader should be expected for release soon.

Read About it - DC Emu

TheOnlyOneHeFears
Portablizer

Post by TheOnlyOneHeFears » Sun Jun 24, 2007 11:03 am

Captain Planet FTW! :P

Yeah, I read about the Lumines exploit on PSP Hacks this morning. Everyone is clamouring to buy the game, eBay prices will go through the roof soon. Still, it's great news for the PSP scene.

Twisted Warthog
PSN Username:fragd0g
360 GamerTag:onionknight110
Steam ID:flint1011

Post by Twisted Warthog » Sun Jun 24, 2007 5:19 pm

Wait so your saying you can run homebrew on the newer firmwares now Harsh?

sgtpepper

Post by sgtpepper » Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:31 pm

Not to hijack this thread or to sound like a noob, but it appears that you guys answered his questions and know what you're talking about. So I need some help too!

First of all, I am completely new to PSP homebrew and such, because I have just now been able to downgrade from 3.5 to 1.5. I then installed custom firmware 3.40 OE-A because you guys all recommended it. From this point I have questions about three things-

1. Running emulators for N64 and NES

For N64 emulation, I'm planning on using the newly released Daedalus that apparently has pretty good Goldeneye support. For NES emulation, I'm not sure what to use! Either way, I have no idea what other additional software is needed to use emulators.

2. Running UMD ISOs from my memory stick

I want to be able to run ISOs in order to conserve battery life and not have to carry around all my UMD discs, but I have no idea where to start. Please help! :cry:

3. I also want to know of any other homebrew apps that you guys recommend/use. There are so many out there, I don't know where to begin...

Thanks in advance!
 My iBook's modded logo!
Jobs vs Gates Google Fight!

schmellyfart
Portablizer Extraordinaire
Steam ID:schmellyfart

Post by schmellyfart » Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:25 am

psp-hacks.com wrote:Goldeneye is also running in R12. Although the intro sequence is running very quickly and with few noticable graphical issues, a lot more work is needed to it running at a playable framerate in-game. I think it’s a good start though, and something to get excited about for the future :)

You dont need any additional software to run the emulators. Just the emulator and the ROM is all you need.

2. First, If you have anything on the mem stick back it up, then format the mem stick within the PSP. Its important that you format it within the PSP because doing so will create all necessary folders for homebrew and whatnot. The format should have created a folder with the name of ISO in the root of the mem stick. That folder is where you put all of your .iso's, .cso's, and another format that I forget the name of.

3. I use:
=Daedelus R11 (havent had a chance to install R12 yet.)
=Callisto: Fun, well done side scrolling shooting game
=No Gravity Demo: Another shooting game
=PSPTris: tetris port
=SNES9X: Kinda slow :( but there may be a faster emulator
=PSPVBA: same as SNES9X
=KETM W/ Star Wars mod/skin/whatever: Top scrooling shooting game. like 1942
=NesterJ
=Built in PSX emulator
=PSP Revolution: DDR simulator. like stepmania.
=PVP Pong online
=color puzzle:simple puzzle game
=Bomberman Arena
=Setgool: Yet another sidescrolling shooter
=Etch-A-Sketch
=PSP Kanji

Hope this helps :)

Darth Fett
Location:On my giant space station. Firing on earth in 3...2...1...

Post by Darth Fett » Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:12 am

I too have a question.We all know the PSP can go online, but one of my sisters wants to know if it can play Runescape.
Laugh and the world laughs with you; It's inhabitants are an entirely different story.

Harshboy
Portablizer

Post by Harshboy » Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:52 am

No! (THANK GOD FOR THAT)

sgtpepper

Post by sgtpepper » Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:54 am

Ok well I got everything homebrew related working, but I've got one last question. What high capacity battery should I buy for my PSP, because at this point I have the original battery (1800 mah). The Sony replacement hardly seems worth it if it's only 2200 mah, so I'm looking for other options.

However! I have found this rather shady looking website that has a lot of extremely cheap stuff, including what seem to be official PSP batteries. They're so cheap I'm tempted to buy one, and accept the fact that I might be throwing money away!

First, the original battery, 1800mah for $8.45, and it even has good reviews!
Then, the high capacity Sony battery, 2200mah for $8.51, with a single user giving it two stars...
Last, a generic battery that is claiming to be 3600mah, at only $9.17!

So while all of these are extremely tempting, I think I might order one of the original batteries and see what results I get. If all goes well, I'll try one of the other ones.
 My iBook's modded logo!
Jobs vs Gates Google Fight!

Harshboy
Portablizer

Post by Harshboy » Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:24 am

Only buy another original one.

1) The 2200 won't give you more than 10 minutes of time :lol:
2) The 3600 doesn't even power the PSP for as long as the Official 1800 :lol:

I've heard a lot of people just saying to buy another Original 1800 because they are the only good ones.