Panasonic-Fifteen-in-one, can it make a good portable?

Includes Atari 2600, Nintendo 8-bit, Sega Master System, MSX and more!

Moderator:Moderators

11up
Panasonic-Fifteen-in-one, can it make a good portable?

Post by 11up » Fri Jun 22, 2007 2:52 pm

I found this weird NES clone at a thrift shop sometime back, I've been wondering if a NES cart slot could be rigged to it. I found out it's a Panasonic plug and play fifteen-in-one I have seen at Wal-Mart before. The clone's case kinda resembles a Dreamcast controller. Apparently made for use in portable DVD players, due to the smaller A/V jacks used on it, although it came with a little converter box for use on TVs as well. (All of the games suck, except for the Motorcycle one that reminds me of Rad Racer and Mr.Potato.)
The converter box makes a great Headphone jack when I plug one of my DC's A/V plugs into it with the Headphone jack on the other end :D . (I need to keep this concept in mind when I make a portable, plus I can add a potentiometer to it for volume! :D)
Here's a pic of the guts anyway, don't mind the torture it's endured, I used some the pcb for other stuff and know where the connections went. I've had little patience lately to get rid of the epoxy crap they put over the chips. :x
So, if it's possible to add a NES cart slot to it, I would be grateful if someone could show me which chip to sand that crap off of and what pinouts I need. If a cart slot can't be rigged to it, oh well. I'll eventually find me a cheap Super Joy III laying around somewhere.
I'll have more pics soon if needed.
What's in your soda?

khaag

Post by khaag » Fri Jun 22, 2007 4:03 pm

Umm, don't quote me on this, but I don't think you can remove those black blobs becuase IIRC, they are the chip. I may be wrong though...
[url=http://thekevbot.com]Portfolio[/url]
[url=http://twitter.com/thekevbot]Twitter[/url]
[url=http://blog.thekevbot.com]Blog[/url]

Skyone

Post by Skyone » Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:11 pm

khaag wrote:Umm, don't quote me on this, but I don't think you can remove those black blobs becuase IIRC, they are the chip. I may be wrong though...
No, they're just a layer of epoxy over the real chip.

Good luck with getting it off, you'll need it. :P

Thegamer3000

Post by Thegamer3000 » Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:42 am

It looks like you'll have to take off the epoxy on the chips to somehow wire up a car slot. (Good luck)

Are you sure the games are NES? And personally.... It looks like a little more trouble than it's worth.
Use your talents for God's Glory!

Progress on Handheld Sega Genesis 90%

Progress on Handheld NES to sell 40%

11up

Post by 11up » Sat Jun 23, 2007 12:05 pm

One thing that would be nice to know would be which chip is the one I can rig the cart slot to. :lol: But I'll just have to sand off the epoxy off of all three of them, and find out for my self.
After careful examination of the color palettes, sound, graphics, etc in all of the games, it's distinctly a NES clone, for sure.
I appreciate the luck Skyone and Thegamer3000, hopefully I won't destroy any of the chips' prongs.
What's in your soda?

tom61

Post by tom61 » Sat Jun 23, 2007 4:51 pm

11up wrote: But I'll just have to sand off the epoxy off of all three of them, and find out for my self.
<snip>
hopefully I won't destroy any of the chips' prongs.
They don't have prongs like a normal packaged chip. The chips under the blobs are bare silicon, if you sand down all the epoxy you'll probably destroy them. They will likely have no identifiable marks on them either.

kylechu

Post by kylechu » Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:10 pm

what was this clone called? Did it happen to be made by dreamgear?
\

11up

Post by 11up » Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:28 am

Whoa, I didn't know that tom61, it's a good thing I've been too lazy to touch that sucker lately or I probably would have destroyed it :shock: .
Would it be possible to just solder a cart slot going to the circuits coming out of the IC, instead of scraping off the epoxy and possibly destroying the IC. If so, I need to find some pin-outs and get busy.
Kylechu, it's call a Panasonic 15-in-1 just like the title of this Thread, made by Panasonic, I saw them at wal-mart for 15 bucks last I checked. I'll edit my first post to include a pic of it's case when I can.
What's in your soda?

arfink

Post by arfink » Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:09 pm

I had one just like this, but it had Colecovision games on it. I tried to figure out a pinout, but the chips don't even use all the address lines that the NES would need, they only map the ones that the particular game needs. So, no, even if you could map out the address lines, they would not all be there, so the cart slot would be deficient.
Emulation isn't accurate. There is no substitute for real hardware!

marshallh
360 GamerTag:marshallh

Post by marshallh » Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:15 am

Looks like you're out of luck. NOAC makers are getting more efficient and load games straight from glop-top ROMs.

andoba

Post by andoba » Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:01 am

Be careful removing the epoxy resin, the IC's aren't soldered and you might break the thin gold wires that connect the IC with the PCB.

Felino

Post by Felino » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:11 am

Forget it man, thats like trying to solder a lamp onto your processors die, not going to work, they weren't made for carts.
Charlie wrote:I always wanted to try wall flips, but I'm too attached to my neck.

Billybb347

Post by Billybb347 » Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:01 am

kylechu wrote:what was this clone called? Did it happen to be made by dreamgear?
Found it on Walmarts site if anyone is still interested. They labeled it as a Polaroid 15-in-1.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product. ... id=3913739
SNESp Progress:
Have Screen fits perfectly, now to figure out how it works...
Motherboard (Fried) FC Twin & Mini SNES
Batteries 7.2V 2000mAh & 2x 9.6V 700mAh
Case ZN-40
Electronics came!

Nick

Post by Nick » Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:30 pm

I got this and I was also figuring out how to use it. I never figured it out and now the pcb is gathering dust in my closet.
Refusing to change my avatar since like freakin 2007.

soundwave

Post by soundwave » Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:55 pm

I'd suggest confirming that this is a NOAC, and find a pinout before you whip out the soldering iron.