Resistor question. I think...

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

csurban
Portablizer
Resistor question. I think...

Post by csurban » Fri Jun 15, 2007 10:17 pm

Is there any circuitry I can use that will just cut out current when a pot reaches a certain resistance level?

In case your wondering, I'm talking in reference to making a NOAC take a modded gamecube analog stick as its D-Pad. As far as I can tell, when I hook up the stick to the NES's Controller Chip, it registers even major resistance from the pot as a button push.

Anyone have any ideas?
nope... can't think of anything I could possibly want to put in my Signature Block...

timmeh87

Post by timmeh87 » Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:04 am

maybe some weird transistory thing... or a microcontroller for sure.

this all seems pretty roundabout to me. making an analog stick digital? why not design a digital stick.

"Linux is only free if your time is worthless"

gannon

Post by gannon » Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:06 am

Something like using the 2 pots and voltage dividers and diodes for a A/D converter should work I think.

schmellyfart
Portablizer Extraordinaire
Steam ID:schmellyfart

Post by schmellyfart » Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:59 am

my post from a similar thread wrote:Try this.

jeroen

Post by jeroen » Sat Jun 16, 2007 5:57 am

Use a comparator circuit. Then connect the power from the pot (before it enters it) to a resistor with the value you want it to cut off. then wire both to the comparator circuit.

csurban
Portablizer

Post by csurban » Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:36 am

schmellyfart seems to have a good answer but if it is all the same, I would rather not take apart the whole analog stick.

@ gannon and jeroen, I'm not very electrically inclined and am not sure of the electrical components you were talking about :oops: but it seems like you know what you are talking about. Is there anyway you can dumb it down for me a bit? :lol:

Edit: I looked up the parts you mentioned and am still clueless to their usage :oops:

Edit2: schellyfart, I just relized that your idea would not work for my situation. My portable plays NES and N64 games and I would like the GC analog stick for the N64 to be able to run the NES D-Pad as well. :cry:
nope... can't think of anything I could possibly want to put in my Signature Block...

csurban
Portablizer

Post by csurban » Sun Jun 17, 2007 5:12 pm

anyone have a explanation? :cry:

schmellyfart
Portablizer Extraordinaire
Steam ID:schmellyfart

Post by schmellyfart » Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:10 am

You dont need to take the whole analog stick apart, you just have to pop the pots off. They snap on and off with ease.

Umm, use two analog sticks?
EDIT: Wire the analog stick up to the NES and N64 D-pad!

csurban
Portablizer

Post by csurban » Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:33 am

Well *sigh*, I'm not sure I even have enough room for ONE analog stick, let alone two. The whole point was to have the N64 and NES run off off of one stick, but if I alter the resistance of the pots, the N64 will be all screwy.

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:07 am

I had an idea yesterday while sitting at the orthodontist. You could put tacts under the rim thing of the GC analog.

Code: Select all

___1___
 (_______)
 t   !    !    t
Put the tacts where the t's are, and turn it 90 degrees and do the same. Then it'll hit the tact when you push all the way in a direction.

timmeh87

Post by timmeh87 » Tue Jun 19, 2007 4:50 pm

the comparator was also a good idea.

why not just use the d-pad instead of the analog stick to control the NES? ....

"Linux is only free if your time is worthless"