DUN! My portable for MGC, the PSPNES

Includes Atari 2600, Nintendo 8-bit, Sega Master System, MSX and more!

Moderator:Moderators

G-force
DUN! My portable for MGC, the PSPNES

Post by G-force » Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:29 pm

I literally finished this thing the second I walked out the door. I didn't even turn it on until I reached the car to leave for my bus to MGC. :P Amazingly, it worked perfectly! I even played it throughout the three days I was gone, and had no trouble with it, other than a little needed wear-in on the d-pad. The batterys even lasted up till a few hours after I got home. That's pretty dang good battery life I would say! About 6-8 hours probably.

Ben played it for a bit when we met him at, and even said he liked it, which would make it a success I guess :P

I kept the famicom cartidge connector on there for two reasons. 1: I had more multi-game famicom carts that had more games than I did cartridges, and I had no way to play them on an american connector (I do now, thanks to a Gyromite cartidge.)
2: It saved me work. Thats a lot right there. Plus, it fit the design better, the width of an american slot wouldnt allow me to do the batterys on the right and left, and that was the only way to have them go.
3: I designed this while sick with the flu. My design and reasoning were rather interesting in that state :P
4: I found a converter that had nice casing around it, and didn't look like arse when it was plugged in, so I use that for any american games I might need.

The most interesting part, the insides.

I did an LED mod on the screen (intec 2.5" LCD from a game controller/LCD combo), and it turned out quite well! I couldnt tell a difference at all after doing it. in fact, ask anyone at MGC, they couldn't tell either.

The magnets seen in each corner hold the case shut instead of screws. That way I cna show the guts easily. It's not really meant for changing batterys, since that yellow jack is for charging the batterys inside. I have a 5V cell phone charger for that, which I believe will work, but I am not sure. At the very least, I could play off a wall outlet with it, since the whole system runs off 5V.

It has the standard built in games for a super joy 3, which is mainly what I play, except for ninja gaiden and those famicom carts with neat mario hacks on them (flying mario, wiiiiii!)

There are build pics if anyone is interested. Questions and comments are welcome! Unless they're negative, in which case get the heck out of here :P

Skyone

Post by Skyone » Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:38 pm

I'd rather have no activity in the forums than that crap! :P

I love it, looks very sturdy - keep it the hell up!
Last edited by Skyone on Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nonsense Man

Post by Nonsense Man » Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:44 pm

Why are there 4 buttons if it's a nes portable??

Krepticor

Post by Krepticor » Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:49 pm

Turbo buttons...
I refuse to dignify myself with an intelligent and witty signature

Turbo Tax 1.0
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by Turbo Tax 1.0 » Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:00 pm

and how'd I miss it.

perfectly smooth case and bondo work as usual from you. I love the simple and awesome tinyness of it the magnets are a cool idea too. I wanna make a NESp now to bad I tend to copulate up NOACs :P
when life gives you lemons make flux
snesp mk4

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:07 pm

I said it then and I'll say it now: That thing is beautiful. :D How did you manage to drill such perfect speaker holes? The good 'ol PCB drilling method again?

CTFan

G-force

Post by G-force » Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:24 pm

Krepticor wrote:Turbo buttons...
Yep! Most people don't know about controllers with turbo for some reason. I only know of them because of game ads in comic books.
Here are the few examples I could find with google.
It works a lot like "slowmo" buttons, when the button is held down it rapid presses the button faster than humanly possible. It's very handy for some games, and just plain fun to goof around with. Example: In mario you have a box with multiple coins in it, you have to jump over and over to get all the coins out. Instead, just hold down this button, and it does the work for you, and it times the jumps better than you could do it "manually".

I added it because the controller IC I had supported it, and I had the extra buttons from the PSX controller.

Turbo Tax 1.0 wrote:and how'd I miss it.

perfectly smooth case and bondo work as usual from you. I love the simple and awesome tinyness of it the magnets are a cool idea too. I wanna make a NESp now to bad I tend to screw up NOACs :P
Ha ha, I hadn't posted this yet when you asked there. You'd have to be psychic.

What's weird is I have no trouble with NOAC's, even though I treat them like crap. I even tore a trace going INTO the glop top this time! :shock: I thought I was screwed, I couldn't even see a trace anymore, but not one to give up easily, I held it up to the light bulb and saw a thin hair of a trace, so small I couldnt see it without the light backlighting the board. I managed to scrape away the glop-top and flux it to death, and get a wire on there. It worked! :D
CronoTriggerfan wrote:I said it then and I'll say it now: That thing is beautiful. :D How did you manage to drill such perfect speaker holes? The good 'ol PCB drilling method again?

CTFan
Thank you! And yeah, PCB method. I even used the same piece from my PS1 portable. Just clamped it on there and drilled, took no more than 5 minutes. In fact, everything went fast on this. It was probably my fastest unit so far.

gannon

Post by gannon » Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:26 pm

I still like calling it the FluNES :P (although it is like a slightly bigger PSP)

schmellyfart
Portablizer Extraordinaire
Steam ID:schmellyfart

Post by schmellyfart » Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:56 pm

Amazing. Simply amazing.

Skyone

Post by Skyone » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:51 am

Oh, can you take some pics with it on? :P

TheOnlyOneHeFears
Portablizer

Post by TheOnlyOneHeFears » Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:46 am

Beautiful, as always. You're always the one that raises the bar when it comes to portables, especially with bondo work :) How hard was the LED mod on the Intec screen? Did it save much battery life?

EDIT: Would you mind updating the NES sticky G? Quite a few people have made more portables, and there's been more info going around too. Cheers :)

Lorelis-san

Post by Lorelis-san » Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:07 am

Now that's a sweet piece of work there! Keep up the good work!

A decal or 2 wouldn't hurt though

sdh

Post by sdh » Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:13 am

I (heart) PSPNES

shmagoogin77
Portablizer

Post by shmagoogin77 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:58 am

that thing is just plain sweet :D
what are the dimensions of it?

gamemasterAS
Steam ID:lolz1337face

Post by gamemasterAS » Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:35 pm