Hacking a Super Joy 3 board

Includes Atari 2600, Nintendo 8-bit, Sega Master System, MSX and more!

Moderator:Moderators

BloodNess
Location:in front of my computer...staring zombie...err...ly...into the computer screen...
Hacking a Super Joy 3 board

Post by BloodNess » Tue Jun 12, 2007 3:31 pm

hey guys, does anyone know how/where too cut the controller board of the super joy three to fit into an altoids case? the actual board where the games are does fit in it iiif i remove the game cart slot which i probably will, but i would llike to know where to cut the controller board and where to solder so i can fit it inside of the altoids case.

thanks
***«ß£ØOðN€Š$...>>****
finally got motivated again to start a portable, which i have...but with many doubts :S

schmellyfart
Portablizer Extraordinaire
Steam ID:schmellyfart

Post by schmellyfart » Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:09 pm

Let me get this straight. You want to make a SJ3 and a controller fit in an altoids tin?

The SJ3 board is pretty compacet already, can't really trim it without breaking something.

And the controller, well if you cut it, all I can say really is just reconnect the traces that you cut.

BloodNess
Location:in front of my computer...staring zombie...err...ly...into the computer screen...

Post by BloodNess » Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:17 pm

schmellyfart wrote:Let me get this straight. You want to make a SJ3 and a controller fit in an altoids tin?

The SJ3 board is pretty compacet already, can't really trim it without breaking something.

And the controller, well if you cut it, all I can say really is just reconnect the traces that you cut.
yeah the sj3 board im not to worried because it does fit, but its the controller board that im pissed off at...
***«ß£ØOðN€Š$...>>****
finally got motivated again to start a portable, which i have...but with many doubts :S

schmellyfart
Portablizer Extraordinaire
Steam ID:schmellyfart

Post by schmellyfart » Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:48 pm

Yeah just trim the board around the button contacts and reconnect those traces to the controller IC or glop-top.

BloodNess

Post by BloodNess » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:35 am

ook, soo where would i cut/trim/hack?

sorry for being such a noob i have the knowledge but fail to put it to work :oops:
***«ß£ØOðN€Š$...>>****

G-force

Post by G-force » Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:49 am

Can you take a high res scan or picture of the board? I coudl just tell you whats what that way. It's atually very easy to shrink the board, all you do is look at what traces go to what. Ground will be the trace going to the outside of the AV jacks, and to half of all the buttons. The 5V line will come off a regulator or some other power setup, and go to the controler IC (black glop), and also the NOAC. Everything else is easy, just follow the traces for each button. If you'd like, I can show you how I figured out what was what one mine, and you can just follow by example with your board.

BloodNess

Post by BloodNess » Wed Jun 13, 2007 1:21 pm

G-force wrote:Can you take a high res scan or picture of the board? I coudl just tell you whats what that way. It's atually very easy to shrink the board, all you do is look at what traces go to what. Ground will be the trace going to the outside of the AV jacks, and to half of all the buttons. The 5V line will come off a regulator or some other power setup, and go to the controler IC (black glop), and also the NOAC. Everything else is easy, just follow the traces for each button. If you'd like, I can show you how I figured out what was what one mine, and you can just follow by example with your board.
when i have the time i will post a scan, and i would really appreciate it if you showed me :) thanks
***«ß£ØOðN€Š$...>>****

Super Cameraman

Post by Super Cameraman » Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:44 pm

Can't you use an NES controller for the controller? I think they're much smaller, and you can just cut everything off and solder tact switchs to the IC (or that big black chip, right?).

I THINK that would work, right?

-SCM
If you're looking at this post and it was made before 2008, just ignore it.

BloodNess

Post by BloodNess » Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:00 pm

hey here's the controller board, had to scan it cuz i didn't have my cam...um, g-force :oops: do your thing :)

----to avoid double posting----

ook i think i understand, according to schmellyfart, ii cut/trim the board around the buttons, but would i -obviously- need to desolder the ribbon cable that connects the controller to the noac? then like g-force said, i would follow the traces to reconnectwhat remains of the controller board...ook i got that, maybe :roll: ...ook now for the a/v, dc plug, on/off switch that are like shoulder buttons on it, i would desolder them and later reconnect them too?
***«ß£ØOðN€Š$...>>****

G-force

Post by G-force » Sat Jun 16, 2007 8:45 pm

Yeah, you got the idea.

I'd map out the IC, but that pic is far too low-res for me to see where the traces go. Post a higher res pic and I'll be able to help.