another portable system...

Includes PS2, Xbox 1, GameCube (but not the Phantom Game Console)

Moderator:Moderators

kasar
another portable system...

Post by kasar » Thu May 17, 2007 6:05 pm

hi guys. (srry for my bad english)

the first thing that i must should to say is great work to anyone has made his own portable and the others are working on their own ones.

i also must say thx to ben for create this great site.

also thx for gannon and jordin_j@hotmail.com who helped me to enable my locked accoun´t (confirmation email never arrived for me ^^)

oh well about my "project"

i built an "ugly box" :lol:

my "ugly box" have

a 640x480 lcd screen it runs on 12 v (xenarc 800m more info here http://www.xenarc.com/product/800m.html)

a modified game cube, it have qoob pro and it can read vervatim +r

it can load "backups" and homebrew stuff like gc-linux for play media files like avi, mp3.... it also have snes emulators,gboy...

it have a 12v batery (yes, all stuff is working on 12v i think it is more easy) the batery is a here Image

it have 12v / 10 amperes and i also get from batery case the batery life indicator. (green led when all is ok and red led when ..... :evil: )

it also have diferent voltages outputs like 1.5v ,3v ,4´5v,6v,9v and 12v for connect any low amp device.

i also built a car adaptor for feed the system without lose battery levels from the system.

i also upgreaded the mono speakers from the portable tv to a stereo (the tv had mono sound before fix :S ) with better cuality and i also aded a headphones-in connector, the entire system have also two fuses.

and it still have all original gc outputs like digital and analigic video conectors and power in conector.

it also have an usb conector for program the qoob stuff with new bios,programs, tools, backgrounds.....

but the project isn´t really good..., it also have some ugly things like, the screen doesn´t support games in 60hz mode, the batery only get arround 1:25 minutes of life. no controller integrated in box, yes it still need a standard one conected in the controller ports. it is very heavy and ugly, and the people think that i´m crazy or/and the portable is a bomb and i´m a terrorist...

i don´t think this is a "portable" i will better say it is a mobile gc station. ^^

at least i can play metroid prime in the bus with good image and sound quality :P

you can see a few photos here (srry for quality, because i made them fast)

Last edited by kasar on Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:04 am, edited 4 times in total.

HotDog-Cart
Portablizer
PSN Username:Lythinca
Steam ID:scythe_king

Post by HotDog-Cart » Thu May 17, 2007 6:19 pm

Thats actually pretty nice.

kasar

Post by kasar » Thu May 17, 2007 6:24 pm

ty. :D

i hope have more time for upgreade it. i want also install the gc broadband adapter for connect my system to internet via wireless adding an integreated rj45-wifi converter (like an accespoint in client mode or something connected to the broadband adapter)

Last edited by kasar on Mon Oct 15, 2007 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

schmellyfart
Portablizer Extraordinaire
Steam ID:schmellyfart

Post by schmellyfart » Thu May 17, 2007 7:48 pm

Good Job! I like it.

hy phrend

Post by hy phrend » Thu May 17, 2007 8:17 pm

yeah i like it. i like the swivel screen on it. the screen just looks like it was made to fit on that lid. :lol:
DCP---Done

kasar

Post by kasar » Fri May 18, 2007 12:37 am

thx again guys.

about the screen im using the original monitor´s Swivel.
i only put a few screws on the plastic box to adhere the swivel.
the tv monitor have 2x video/sound chanels. i will add a video/sound in conectors in the box when i have some time. im also using the monitor remote control for change volume or screen settings

http://www.xenarc.com/product/800m.html

xenarc screens are good for mobile projects because they are designed for work arroud 12v and feed low batery, they are car screens. i know some of those screens are expensive and hard to get. but i wanted finish my project and this screen helped me a lot.

anyway i´m using one of the older and cheapest screen from xenarc. maybe i should buy another a little better because i have a lot of problems with 60hz games, like metroid echoes (i get a black and white game screen). no color on the 60hz image :S. only 50hz works on my system.

:?

kasar

Post by kasar » Wed Dec 19, 2007 4:28 pm

new hardware/sofware update and more image details aded

well, this upgreade "fuked" a lot the external box, so it is now more dirty and horrible, but it also can make another things:

ok , first, i replaced the default monoaural speaker from the screen to 2 stereo ones, you can see the resuls.

right

and left one

i also midified a little some case purposes like the cooler output hole. and power switches

i also modified the right control panel, and aded stereo headphones port and moved this fuse location due space problems and parts accesibiity.

i also aded a new feature, the audio/video in conectors go directly to the second screen chanel , and i can switch main system and av in easly with one key.

well this is the charger in, it really need to be charged before rock/n/roll because it need a lot of power to work , and the charger only have 500 ma
(the battery will be charged better and the battery life will be longer with the slow charge)

well, this is also a new purpose, this is the qoob chip usb programer port, and the rj45 lan port, i moved the original cube lan port to outside the main plastic box, the rj45 port is very useful for download something with the linux inside the cube and it be able to create a remote hard disc for the cube on a remote pc (the gc don´t have hdd by default ^^)
it also can host a web site or load executables (.dol) by the lan port and another usefull purposes

due i lost the rf antena addon, and the video output need be "jumpered" when the video cable is not connected, i created this regulator, it allow modify the video power and adjust it to get the best image resluts,i also moved the original dvd case lid switch the outside, it is under the black adhesive.

well, the diferences are more visible now, the box is really dirty and chaotic, i had problems with the old acic batery (it has a little acic drops inside the box ,and it fuked one qoob and some cables, but the another modules survived, lol :P. then i replaced the batery by a sealed one, and i cleaned a bit the inbox space cleaning some acic parts out of the circuits and walls.

i also "jumpered" the screen and the game cume power in one connector so it turn on now at same time (the gc and the screen need 12 volts, so with the same volts is no problem, it only get more amps)

i also replaced the old and weird orange led (default gc led) by a blue one, it seems get more light now and i prefeer that color to the orange one.

now you finally can see a big dvd inside the case. the cube only can read 1,35 gb of the disc, but anyway it is better for the best media compability and for read some data from some discs.

you also can see another blue fuse inside, it have 2 fuses, the another one is in the first images

well this is a data disc on the qoob, you can choose the executable to load, very usefull with emulators and homwbrew.

the qoob also allow you backup to pc original games using the broadband conection , i included the broadband inside this portable system

well, this is my startup screen, lol ^^

as you can see in this image , the portable gc is loading a linux kernel.

it is very usefull, i have no keyboard on the cube, but i can control it by remote using the keyboard of my pc using "putty client" and the lan conection to connect to the game cube.

i also loaded on this linux some usfull modules like a media player.

this is the media player, it can play a lot of know format at a fine resolution and without crashes or waits, it is good for watch your favorite media on anyplace.

and this one is a snes emulator loaded on the portable.

there is a lot of homebrew, emulators and interesting stuff for the cube. so if you can use them for the travels it can be very interesting.

well, no more images for now. i hope you has enjoy with them.

thanks for watching my project, happy xmas and nice work there guys

extremesonic

Post by extremesonic » Thu Dec 20, 2007 12:12 am

It is surprising how extensive the GC homebrew scene is. I have gotten a lot of use out of the little box.
SNESp - 100%
Protable X - 15% - I need money :(

jedi knight

Post by jedi knight » Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:56 pm

That's pretty cool! Its like a luggable homebrew machine. I like the swivel screen.

On another note though, is there a Nintendo 64 emulator or a Playstation emulator working on the GC yet?
Meh, I don't post much.

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:13 pm

Sweet, nice mod! 8)

CTFan

kasar

Post by kasar » Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:52 am

thx guys
jedy knight wrote:is there a Nintendo 64 emulator or a Playstation emulator working on the GC yet?
yes, i´m using also a n64 emulator, but i not found none for psone or psx, i saw only a abandonded project for a psx emulator for gc.

if you want the n64 one here , i uploaded a pack for you.

download pack

if some one want the media player, any other emulator or homebrew for gc please notice me, i have a few GB in my hard disk with a lot of gc stuff ^^
Last edited by kasar on Sat May 16, 2009 7:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

jedi knight

Post by jedi knight » Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:51 am

Hey, thanks! Does this work on a SD Media Launcher? I've been thinking about buying one.
Meh, I don't post much.

kasar

Post by kasar » Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:02 am

jedi knight wrote:Hey, thanks! Does this work on a SD Media Launcher? I've been thinking about buying one.
np man, only tell me if you need something ^^

about the sd launcher:

mmm , i´m not sure, i think it should work.

but why not get a qoob pro?

i know it cost a little more than the sd adapter and it can be a bit dificult to get.

but it is very easy to update and it have a lot of configurable options.

and it do not need a disk with the update or a serial cable conection

the usb connection is one of the best purposes about this chip.

you also can burn a data dvd with a lot of .dols and homebrew and the qoob will bring up a menu for let you to choose. as you can see on this image
at least for me is the best chip for gc

and if you need help help opening the gc i also know all the steeps, if you don´t have the nintendo unscrew you can open it only using a
"bic pen(the most cheapest thing on the world i think :D)" and a burner

and for solder, i´m sure you will able to do it without any problems (my hands are weak and moving all the time, but as you can see my gc survived to the qoob and a lot of extra modding, only look the photos, hehe my friends said: poor cube!, why did you destroyed it?^^)

dudex77

Post by dudex77 » Sat Dec 22, 2007 12:36 pm

Well looks like I'll never have the first hand made portable in Spain then. What part of spain are you from anyway?
Kurt_ wrote: I would use tact switches but I want the mushy feel. Mushy = God. (I typed that correctly).

kasar

Post by kasar » Sat Dec 22, 2007 2:38 pm

dudex77 wrote:Well looks like I'll never have the first hand made portable in Spain then. What part of spain are you from anyway?
PM sent 8)