PSone : S-video and some other queries

If you're making a portable you probably need something to watch it on. (Unless you want to guess what's happening in the game, but I wouldn't advise that) Anyway, this forum is your "Hacking a pocket TV/screen" one-stop solution. Share your experiences and knowledge here.

Moderator:Moderators

bacteria
Portablizer Extraordinaire
PSone : S-video and some other queries

Post by bacteria » Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:50 am

I am a noobie, I love modding (I have done a fair bit on the GP2x forum), but my electronics skills are not good; I rely on common sense rather than a technical knowledge on such things!

Took apart a PSone screen and got composite working (thanks to this forum); trying to connect a console (GP2x) via s-video. I know there was a posting on this ( http://benheck.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=16565 ) however I couldn't work it out. There are 4 s-video wires from my s-video cable - black, red, green and bare wire. Any chance a kind soul could please post pics of where each wire goes where please; also there was mention of removing part of a capactor(?), not sure how to do it - do you pop it off with a screwdriver?

Your help would be gratefully received!

Couple of other queries please about this great PSone screen - I would be grateful for comments please:

1) any way to adjust the colours from composite input (images are a little on the red side - connected to N64 or GBA, which is what I tested them on - would be nice to have colours right!). Any options here, or do I have to put up with what I have?
2) sound not working; one wire from the right channel goes to pin 9 or 10 (can't remember which), other solders to where please (and is it the same for the left channel?) - could only get crackles when I tried to hook it up.
3) rather than using the 7.5v mains power, if I used 5 x 1.2v rechargable AA batteries (NiMH) would that be ok, or should I be aiming to use 6 instead? (I don't want to fry anything).
4) are NiMH batteries the best ones for this?
5) i have a GBA with tv out which uses 7 or 7.5v too; can I split connections on the batteries so I only use 1 set of batteries instead of 2 sets (saves lots of weight).

Many thanks! :wink:

paul4990

Post by paul4990 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:13 am

sorry but the psone screen only supports Composite and RGB

to use s-video simply wrap the luminance and chrominance together and hook it to composite.

bacteria

Post by bacteria » Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:51 pm

paul4990 wrote:sorry but the psone screen only supports Composite and RGB

to use s-video simply wrap the luminance and chrominance together and hook it to composite.
Thanks for the reply.

There are 4 wires from an s-video cable. Where do the other 2 cables connect to? Is your suggestion any better (or is it the same) as using a composite > s-video adapter? Is there any way to improve colour accuracy?

Thanks!

lifeisbetterwithketchup
Steam ID:lifeisbetterwithketchup

Post by lifeisbetterwithketchup » Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:50 pm

bacteria wrote:There are 4 wires from an s-video cable. Where do the other 2 cables connect to?
The other two are both ground.
Rekarp wrote:
mako321 wrote:What makes you head ninja, anyways? :wink:
Cause I am Abe F#!@ing Lincoln. :mrgreen:

marshallh
360 GamerTag:marshallh

Post by marshallh » Sat Apr 21, 2007 5:44 pm

http://www.tkk.fi/Misc/Electronics/circ ... video.html

Combine the two Luma/Chroma wires from your S-video cord with the diagram at the link. Presto, you have composite video, which the PSone lcd can handle.

bacteria

Post by bacteria » Sun Apr 22, 2007 4:58 pm

Ok, thanks for explaining the S-video. The S-video > composite cable converter does this job. I presume it isn't possible to adjust the colour intensities of composite pictures.

Any replies guys on the other questions please (batteries, etc)? Thanks!

Interestingly, I see the GBA can output RGB if using the tv-out hardware (transverter), and a few wires soldered onto the board. Interesting....I have one of these and an old original GBA lying about... :wink:

segasonicfan

Post by segasonicfan » Fri Apr 27, 2007 3:17 am

there should actually be a small cap between the luminance and chrominance lines, you shouldn't simply solder them together. I believe the cab should be rated around 680pf, but anything less than .1uf should work.

As for the S-video on a PSOne screen...I detailed this in great length in one of my old threads. It is theoretically possible but without knowing how to program the samsung circuit via I2C bus it isn't doable. I even found a way to input the split signals, but it just connects them internally without setting it to S-video mode via the I2C bus :(

-Segasonicfan