PSP Or Nintendo DS?

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

Twisted Warthog
PSN Username:fragd0g
360 GamerTag:onionknight110
Steam ID:flint1011

Post by Twisted Warthog » Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:37 pm

Yeah i've tried metroid prime hunters it is pretty sweet but is it sweet enough to buy another DS?

Metroid fan

Post by Metroid fan » Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:41 pm

Uh probably but you will need some other games for it to be fun. I just have a lot of the 1st party games and they are fun.

Twisted Warthog

Post by Twisted Warthog » Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:49 pm

Oh yeah does anybody know how much the PSP and Nintendo DS Lite are in Canada?

johnbjuice

Post by johnbjuice » Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:51 pm

I know the DS is cheaper. :D

Seriously - the PSP is just not worth it. Unless you want a media player or PS1 emulation, then its just not worth it.

DS/GP2x FTW!

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:18 pm

johnbjuice wrote:PSP is just not worth it. Unless you want a media player or PS1 emulation
It also has an N64 emulator that plays Super Mario 64 at about full speed with sound off. I thought the PSP was crap, but then I decided to get one (N64 emulator broke the tie between it and DS) and I have been very impressed by it. My dad used it to watch movies off the memory stick on a flight, and he had it on the 4th backlight setting (aka: battery eater) and watched it for about 6 hours with a 1 hour charge half way through, and it still had about 25% battery left when he got home. Just don't watch UMD's on the high backlight setting, it almost dies from just one movie (without headphones).

Twisted Warthog

Post by Twisted Warthog » Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:27 pm

I heard you had to do all this stuff for it to play N64 games like downgrading?

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Wed Apr 18, 2007 5:38 pm

Twisted Warthog wrote:I heard you had to do all this stuff for it to play N64 games like downgrading?
Depends on the firmware you get. You need to downgrade to 1.5 and then you can do homebrew, but not newer commercial games. So you upgrade to an OE firmware (3.30 OE is highest right now) and then it has a 1.5 mode for homebrew, and runs at its number for stuff that needs it (so 3.30 OE runs like 3.30 for commercial games). I never had to downgrade to 1.5, mine came with a custom firmware (thanks hailrazer), so I just had to upgrade to the newest custom one (3.10 OE back then). If you get one, make sure it has a firmware less than 3.03, or else you can't downgrade it. And then don't upgrade it to anything but a custom firmware.

lifeisbetterwithketchup
Steam ID:lifeisbetterwithketchup

Post by lifeisbetterwithketchup » Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:01 pm

Keep in mind that I have a GP2X and a DS, and all I've ever done with a PSP was downgrade and homebrew-ify one of my friends'.

DS
+amazing library of games
+touch screen/dual screens which allow for more creativity in games
+good battery life

-expensive to get hombrew or "homebrew"
-less-than-spectacular 3D graphics (2D graphics look fantastic though.)
-least powerful handheld

PSP
+fairly easy to get homebrew on
+most powerful handheld
+full-speed PS1 emulation
+videos in widescreen

-mediocre commercial games
-blurry screen when playing 2D games (or so I've heard)
-lousy battery life
-widescreen (bad for emu's)
-uses Memory Sticks, more expensive than other forms of flash memory

GP2X
+ridiculously easy to get homebrew on (drag-and-drop)
+best homebrew community
+4:3 aspect ratio (good for emu's)
+uses AA's

-very few commercial games
-lousy battery life
-no 3D acceleration
-no good music player out-of-the-box (it can't play freaking WAV's)
Rekarp wrote:
mako321 wrote:What makes you head ninja, anyways? :wink:
Cause I am Abe F#!@ing Lincoln. :mrgreen:

johnbjuice

Post by johnbjuice » Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:14 pm

I had a PSP...the homebrew was SO ANNOYING! Downgrading, upgrading, messing with the system so much, always in fear that you'd brick your PSP... :(

That's why I like the GP2x better, despite its lack of PS1 emulation. It is SO much easier and has a much more DEVOTED community of homebrewers/modders. More people isn't always better.

Besides - who actually has access to enough PS1 roms to put them on your PSP? Seriously - I once had my games backed up on my PC, but geez they take up like at LEAST half a gig each! If you want portable PS1, make a PS1P. If you want any console portablized then make it from scratch! I mean geez - this is BenHeck for heaven's sake!

nickerous

Post by nickerous » Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:59 am

I play my PSP constantly. Not only can you emulate every system below the PS1 (well, N64 isn't too good right now), but with one of the OE firmwares, you can load every PSP game ever made.

And getting the homebrew thing to work is not that hard. I got a 1.50 system off of ebay last December. I've updated 3 times, every time things went off without a hitch. If you can follow directions, updating is a breeze.

And the memory sticks are cheap thru ebay. Got a 2gig for $20 last month. 4gigs are going for $40 and 1gigs are going for $10-15!

Currently, I have a 2gig stick with NES, SNES, GBC, GBA, Genesis, and a couple PS1 games on it. Still got over 100mb left on the stick. I had a GP2x, but quit playing it when I got the PSP. Now, it's on ebay right now.

In fairness, I'll be the first to admit I didn't give the GP2x a fair shot. I got it when it first came out...couldn't do too much with it...the control stick sucked....it was really hard just to get the card to load up at times....video would crash cuz of low battery life...watching vids really drained the batt life. I was really disappointed. I haven't played the thing since Aug/Sept of 2006. Got the free PSP in Oct. Never looked back at old GP2x.

(course, it really helped that I got a psp for free....I then went out and bought the 1.50 system and sold the other system just last week. Ain't ebay great!)

Twisted Warthog

Post by Twisted Warthog » Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:26 pm

Well Nintendo fanboys are going to be mad but i bought a PSP haha. I think its great im sure ill buy a DS Lite too when i have the money but right know this PSP is seeming pretty sweet. Once i get a memory stick im going to get me some N64 action but i have to downgrade since my PSP is Version 2.71, also im going to get me a new nub and faceplate soon too.

Twisted Warthog

Post by Twisted Warthog » Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:26 pm

Well Nintendo fanboys are going to be mad but i bought a PSP haha. I think its great im sure ill buy a DS Lite too when i have the money but right know this PSP is seeming pretty sweet. Once i get a memory stick im going to get me some N64 action but i have to downgrade since my PSP is Version 2.71, also im going to get me a new nub and faceplate soon too.

Twisted Warthog

Post by Twisted Warthog » Sat Apr 21, 2007 6:27 pm

Dammit double post sorry ahaha.

So Many Kinds of Bagels

Post by So Many Kinds of Bagels » Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:23 pm

Okay, here's my take on it:

I don't sit on a train for 3 hours every day, so I can watch movies on DVD.
I have an iPod, so I don't need to buy Memory Cards for a handheld to play music.
If I want to buy a handheld, I'm going to buy it for the games I see for it, not for older games emulated on it.
I like Nintendo's franchises and games better, simply put. Ever since the first Mario, Metroid, and Zelda games, I've stuck with those and liked them. GTA and the like never appealed to me.

So if you're at all like me, I guess you'd get the DS. I just think 3/4 of the PSP's hype is that it can pull off all this crap that you can do at home. Like all other Nintendo systems, the DS isn't really meant to be a handy entertainment center. If you want a handy entertainment center, get a PSP.
Valve is the best company.

nickerous

Post by nickerous » Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:06 pm

Their both great systems. I don't think a person would be unhappy with either if they had nothing to begin with.