Book Marketing

Hey, making some projects from my book? Got a question about something? Wanna share what you've done? Here's the place - go for it!

Moderator:Moderators

EmreNU
Book Marketing

Post by EmreNU » Fri Feb 04, 2005 2:52 am

I just typed in "ps2p" in google and was overwhelmed with all of the forum, blog, and news site postings I found about Ben's PS2p (reaching all the way to Japanese sites and even Sweedish forums). This is sort of a hindsight observation, but if the PS2p had come out in a couple weeks from now, there would have been tons of people checking out the PS2p and the book as well. Hopefully people who checked out the PS2p a couple months ago read about the book and know it's coming out soon.

I'm pretty tired right now so it's hard to formulate sentences, but what I'm trying to say is that perhaps it would be effective if there were another "grand unveiling" that caught a lot of attention to coincide with the release of the book... what that would be, I'm not sure. Maybe a Nintendo-all-in-one? Haha :)

G'night,
Emre

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Fri Feb 04, 2005 9:38 am

I'm sure that many of those that helped to Slashdot this site and forums saw the new Ben had about his book, after all he already had the Project 42 portables up and had mentioned them being in his book.

It will be of no strange coincidence that we get another 100 or so members by March. Bens just getten more popular lately.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

HK-47

Post by HK-47 » Fri Feb 04, 2005 12:29 pm

Well it seems that all blogs and things like that are interconnected. Someone makes a single mention on lets say... slashdot, then all sorts of stuff like hackaday, engadget, joystiq, are carrying the story. Though I do agree we'll probably have another grop of members by the time the book becomes more known.

Lucretius

Post by Lucretius » Fri Feb 04, 2005 7:09 pm

Sparkfist wrote:It will be of no strange coincidence that we get another 100 or so members by March.
Hey, that's me! Wait... Aww, I'm a statistic. :?

I suppose I joined because I saw what this community had been doing, I wanted to be in on the scoop. Lord knows I could never attempt a project of that caliber or even close, between time and money, of which I have miniscule amounts. But I love to see what others achieve and...

Hey...

Why is that mod pressing a red button, and why can I feel the ground giving way, as though a trap-door was performing its intended task?...

:shock:

WHOOOOooaaaaa!
-Luke

jaytee

Post by jaytee » Fri Feb 04, 2005 8:53 pm

Well, I do seem to remember Ben mentioning designing an N64p, though I haven't heard much lately.
Given, that won't attract as much attention as the PS2p, its still something to be slashdotted.

And I wouldn't be surprised if Ben's book's release got slashdotted either.

And as we all know, slashdot is the ultimate source of all electronics hype.
2 "pong" systems, Atari 2600, Odyssey2, Intellivision III, Top Loading NES, GameBoy Pocket, Sega Genesis 3, Sega Nomad, Game.com, N64, Playstation, Dreamcast, GameCube, XBox

HK-47

Post by HK-47 » Sat Feb 05, 2005 11:45 am

Lucretius
Location: I have no idea where I am...I Think I'm a little lost...could you point me to Antarctica?
He, he... You like Calvin and Hobbes too? Lol... Thats a great comic... :D

benheck
Site Admin

Post by benheck » Sat Feb 05, 2005 6:26 pm

The main reason I made a PS2p was to garner interest in the hobby and drive interest in my book - I make no bones about it. It so was expensive and difficult I wouldn't have done it otherwise.

Why does everyone think I've ditched the N64p? I routed the parts yesterday and it should be done by next weekend.

And there WILL be a N64 VS the Nintendo DS feature with it as I've done with some of my past systems VS the Gameboy.

HK-47

Post by HK-47 » Sat Feb 05, 2005 6:29 pm

benheckc wrote:The main reason I made a PS2p was to garner interest in the hobby and drive interest in my book - I make no bones about it. It so was expensive and difficult I wouldn't have done it otherwise.

Why does everyone think I've ditched the N64p? I routed the parts yesterday and it should be done by next weekend.

And there WILL be a N64 VS the Nintendo DS feature with it as I've done with some of my past systems VS the Gameboy.
Sweet! Cant wait to see it! :D

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Sat Feb 05, 2005 6:39 pm

Hey Ben if your doing a N64p vs. Nintendo DS, why didnt you make a PS2p vs. PSP. Is it because you havent got your hands on a PSP yet?
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment

I am a geek.

xxxeagle

Post by xxxeagle » Sat Feb 05, 2005 8:56 pm

Yea I cant wait to see it I wonder where youre gonna put the Zbutton.

Lucretius

Post by Lucretius » Sun Feb 06, 2005 9:19 am

HK-47 wrote:He, he... You like Calvin and Hobbes too? Lol... Thats a great comic... :D
Yea, a friend just sent the pic to me, and I couldn't resist... :twisted:
-Luke

HK-47

Post by HK-47 » Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:30 pm

gannon

Post by gannon » Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:33 pm

lol

HK-47

Post by HK-47 » Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:34 pm

Check this out: http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1 ... 797,00.asp
They released a portion of the snes chapter!

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:42 pm

Wow those journalist must really like the SNES.

Also I loved the last line in the first one about whiping out your SNESp and flonting it in front of some poser with a PSP.

I am a geek.