Even newer toy(possibly better than a Libretto or a Jornada)

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

tom61
Even newer toy(possibly better than a Libretto or a Jornada)

Post by tom61 » Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:14 pm

I just got another new toy, a Fujitsu Lifebook p1120. Much more powerful than my Libretto, though not exactly hi-end specs; 900MHz Transmeta CPU, 256MB of RAM, touch screen and built-in WiFi. Unfortunately, the eBay seller forgot to include the harddisk for my Fujitsu Lifebook p1120, and it seems that the p1120 can't boot off a USB CD drive, even though there is a BIOS option for it (maybe requires a specific Fujitsu drive?). So, I popped Knoppix in my main box, connected it and my Lifebook to a 10/100 hub isolated from my network and started up 'Terminal Server'.

Fujitsu Lifebook p1120 booted off pxe running XMMS and playing song off a USB disk. It's odd seeing my main box's CD drive going whenever I launch something on the Lifebook

I'm hoping the harddisk and caddy will come Monday. I've found out that you can install Windows XP(there's a COA on the bottom for XP Pro OEM) from DOS, and how to install Linux from Windows, so I don't have to worry about the non-booting CD issue or the fact that it won't boot from USB harddisk either.

It is thinner than my Libretto, but a hair wider and longer.

Harshboy
Portablizer

Post by Harshboy » Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:18 pm

That's a nice "laptop", but nothing can beat a OQO Model 02

Last edited by Harshboy on Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:32 pm

damn its even smaller than MY lifebook, i have a lifebook B-2610 and its really nice and pretty small

Rototiller

Post by Rototiller » Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:59 pm

pics? my... CERTAIN AREAS are moistening.
what sig? i don't see anything...

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Sun Apr 08, 2007 8:18 pm

Man you guys are making me want one of those things. :(

There's always the FlipStart:
http://www.flipstart.com
Too bad it costs about as much as the OQO.

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:54 pm

How much did that thing set you back? If you modded it so that it could convert to be a tablet pc and back to a laptop, it would be my dream machine, even with the kinda slow processor. I guess my PSP and the thinkpad I'm getting from Dark Savant0 will have to do, for now.

Triton

Post by Triton » Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:27 pm

i got my lifebook sans hdd and sold as damaged/parts or repair because of a cracked hinge and a couple missing screws, cost me 180 after shipping. you can get ones in equal or worse shape sometimes on ebay for under 140

tom61

Post by tom61 » Wed Apr 11, 2007 8:11 pm

Around $370 is what I paid for mine. I'm not really into the whole paying more for smaller and less power, but the size is just right for my needs.

Triton

Post by Triton » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:19 pm

i like your a lot tom, but my mom would have killed me if i got a laptop that small lol, she has to use it too sometimes and she has problems enough with the little 10" lcd lol

OAtH_OS

Post by OAtH_OS » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:55 pm

What OS is that tom61? I see that it uses KDE, but I can't recognize the OS by the Pic. I'd assume a BSD?
I lika Pacman.

vskid

Post by vskid » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:09 pm

tom61 wrote:Around $370 is what I paid for mine.
Dang, thats a nice price. I should save up for one of those. What kind of battery life does it get? It looks to be about the size of a couple DVD cases, right?

tom61

Post by tom61 » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:36 pm

OAtH_OS wrote:What OS is that tom61? I see that it uses KDE, but I can't recognize the OS by the Pic. I'd assume a BSD?
Look at the desktop monitor. It's running the exact same thing, since that's what it booted off of over the network.
vskid wrote:
tom61 wrote:Around $370 is what I paid for mine.
Dang, thats a nice price. I should save up for one of those. What kind of battery life does it get? It looks to be about the size of a couple DVD cases, right?
About two DVDs thick. About an inch and a half longer, and 1/2" wider. The battery I have is supposed to get around 3 hours new, I'll have to try and see. There's an extended battery that lasts 5 hours, it sticks out a little bit when opened, but the flap on the lid covers it when closed.

OAtH_OS

Post by OAtH_OS » Thu Apr 12, 2007 8:58 pm

tom61 wrote:
OAtH_OS wrote:What OS is that tom61? I see that it uses KDE, but I can't recognize the OS by the Pic. I'd assume a BSD?
Look at the desktop monitor. It's running the exact same thing, since that's what it booted off of over the network.
Sorry...? I only looked at the Portable. I should have read what you were doing.
So, I popped Knoppix in my main box, connected it and my Lifebook to a 10/100 hub isolated from my network and started up 'Terminal Server'.
I see now. (BTW why use 5.0? You already had it on a Disk or something...?)
I lika Pacman.

vskid

Post by vskid » Thu Apr 12, 2007 9:03 pm

How does it handle Pandora? I remember you said it was something you wanted in something like this. My PSP is staying with me by a thread, its lucky it has game controls, or it would be gone (possibly to my dad, he is borrowing it now on a business trip so he can watch movies on the plane) and I would be saving for one of these. Maybe I will sell it to him and get one of these, but let him borrow it if he needs and I'll borrow the PSP when I need it. Hmmmm...

tom61

Post by tom61 » Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:51 pm

I got the harddisk and caddy yesterday. The 30GB it was supposed to come with is dead. :evil: I put the 20GB I have left over into the flimsy and complicatedly folded plastic caddy and attached the adapter to it. It works fine with the HD, and Windows 98 managed fairly well in finding drivers for most things (including the touchscreen), but lacks touchscreen calibration and drivers for Wifi and Ethernet, so Windows XP Pro is what I'll put on it in it's place(since it has a COA code for it).
OAtH_OS wrote: Sorry...? I only looked at the Portable. I should have read what you were doing. <snip> I see now. (BTW why use 5.0? You already had it on a Disk or something...?)
'tis Ok. Knoppix 5.0 is just what I had on hand.
vskid wrote:How does it handle Pandora? I remember you said it was something you wanted in something like this. My PSP is staying with me by a thread, its lucky it has game controls, or it would be gone (possibly to my dad, he is borrowing it now on a business trip so he can watch movies on the plane) and I would be saving for one of these. Maybe I will sell it to him and get one of these, but let him borrow it if he needs and I'll borrow the PSP when I need it. Hmmmm...
It should handle Pandora fine, just need to just a Wifi and USB aware OS on it. I just checked the list I made for what I wanted in a portable system, and this meets all of them but decent gaming controls, and that can be solved with a USB game pad.
anotherperson wrote:Wow, that is very nice. The first thing I've seen that puts the Libretto series to the test.

I've been thinking of upgrading from my Libretto 100CT to a shiny U100, but the $1500 or more price tag was putting me off, plus I liked the features of a tablet PC as I read my course notes off my Libretto during lectures...

Libretto 100CT dimensions: 210 x 132 x 35 and 950g
Your Lifebook: 231 X 157 X 35 and 910g

Hmm... I can almost bare that increase in size for the huge drop in price as well as touchscreen functionality. Downsides include a less beefy system relative to the U100, but it trumps the 100CT and is certainly more value for money compared to the U100.

I shall research this further...
Actually, the Lifebook 1120 is thinner than a Libretto 100CT. The extra width and length isn't that much, and shouldn't affect the portablity much (I can't think of anything that would hold the Libretto but wouldn't hold the Lifebook). The extra keyboard size is an enormous help though, touch typing is a lot easier. The screen size isn't that big of deal to me, unless I'm comparing them side-by-side, in which case the Lifebook's screen is huge