Troubleshooting Your N64

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

joevennix
Portablizer

Post by joevennix » Sun Mar 18, 2007 2:04 pm

I don't really understand what happened, but somehow my N64 works again! I shorted the 12V and ground a while ago, and put it on the shelf. It didn't work today when I tried it, but I swapped out the expansion pak for a jumper pak and badabing it works fine! So if all else fails, try a different pak.

ShockSlayer
Niblet 64

Post by ShockSlayer » Sun Mar 25, 2007 5:25 pm

I think, the n64's main power goes through the jumper pack. SO if you mess it up you probably only mess up the jumper pack sometimes....

SS
http://twitter.com/ShockSlayer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Metal Mario

Post by Metal Mario » Sat Jul 28, 2007 8:58 am

My Nintendo 64 for went to "sleep", but woke up later on by itself. I played it for a while, then it died. :cry: Wonder how that happened?

ShockSlayer
Niblet 64

Post by ShockSlayer » Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:07 am

Was it out of case, and on any kind of fabric?

Also, dont run an n64 for more than a few secconds without the full stock n64 heatsink, or good replacements

SS
http://twitter.com/ShockSlayer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Valgaz

My N64 was my friend - I named her Monique

Post by Valgaz » Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:44 pm

Hey guys!

My n64 wasn't fried. My N64 was murdered. An idiot friend of mine stuck a naked SNES cartridge into her slot and from that point on she never said anything again, so I think she's dead. The LED still lights, the screen flickers briefly with a greenish brownish color and then turns black. I guess that means one of the chips are gone. I opened her up and all three chips warm up but the coprocessor gets really hot, so I think that's what got sizzled. Anyone know what may have happened after that foreign cartridge was inserted into her slot?

lol

I'm still going to keep it because it hasn't lost its sentimental value yet. It may become a project in the future. I had some really nice case designs for it if I ever got it fixed. I wasn't going to portable-ize it but I was going to make a redesigned case with cooling to preserve it.

Monique how I miss you so! That software substitute can never emulate your lovin'.

Nortier

Re: Troubleshooting Your N64

Post by Nortier » Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:07 pm

If the led doesnt light up are you screwed? And would step 3 work on a system that doesnt light up?

eurddrue
Location:I am so caught up in real life I have to be done for a while. I'll still check in but dontexpectmuch

Post by eurddrue » Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:01 pm

Nortier wrote:If the led doesnt light up are you screwed? And would step 3 work on a system that doesnt light up?
Possibly, but your probably screwed.
Banned indefinitely if you desperately need to contact me STOPPHONESPAMPLOX Please dont be a dick and call for something random like "HEY YURDRUE DOO U HAZ SPAM?"
wallydawg wrote:
chainfire95 wrote:220V I believe
I think we should check to see if you can withstand 220 volts

XCVG

Post by XCVG » Mon May 18, 2009 2:52 pm

Would putting 12V across the 3.3V line, even for a second, destroy an N64?

marshallh
360 GamerTag:marshallh

Post by marshallh » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:22 pm

XCVG wrote:Would putting 12V across the 3.3V line, even for a second, destroy an N64?
Yes.

If your RCP heats up within a few seconds of turning it on, you're toasted.

um yea
PSN Username:Fiberglassman1

Post by um yea » Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:08 pm

i get the same thing as Valgaz when i turn it on is it save able? :cry:
There are 10 kinds of people in the world those that understand binary and those that don't.
tom61 wrote: You should have PMed him about his sig instead of posting a reply to an old thread. In base 2 (AKA binary) one-zero (10) is two.
Binary is as easy as 1 10 11!

Valgaz

Post by Valgaz » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:55 pm

um yea wrote:i get the same thing as Valgaz when i turn it on is it save able? :cry:
nope :( . it is the n64 chips that got fried.

Oxzgen

Post by Oxzgen » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:00 pm

Gamelver wrote: ...

-Check for little specks of solder that could be shorting something on the board. If it's on one of the main chips, that could ruin the N64, but if it's on a smaller component, just remove or desolder it, and try again.

This really helped me. Don't give up on your N64 if you see solder on the main chips. The N64 is a lot more resilient than people on this forum give it credit for. My chip leads were plastered with solder splat in more than one area. You have to look really close; just a tiny amount can screw it up.

I had turned it on and off multiple times, and found the splats. After scraping the crap off, my N64 worked again!!! Make sure you use a wooden toothpick when messing with the leads, as a metal screwdriver or the likes will likely rip the leads apart. I started with the screwdriver and quickly saw how much damage it had the potential to cause. Good luck to all of ya!

BTW: My red LED still turned on, there just wasn't anything outputting on the screen.
Porta64~
Total: [0% | | | | | | | | | - 100%] 90%
- Case: [0% | | | | | - - - - - 100%] 50%
- Circuitry: [0% | | | | | | | | - - 100%] 85%

BumbleGrey64

Post by BumbleGrey64 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:27 pm

I'm still having trouble making it work again. I think I may have broke the LED, and I heard if the LED doesn't turn on, nor will the entire console.

(The console is naked)

EDIT: It's working now! :D
What's there to say? I haven't made anything special!

marshallh
360 GamerTag:marshallh

Post by marshallh » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:53 pm

The LED runs off the 3.3v rail, so if the LED doesn't light up, none of the rest of the system is getting power either.

Now if the LED comes on but the game doesn't boot, then you have a problem. It could be a soldering mistake, fried chips, unstable voltage, etc..

blaze3927
Portablizer
360 GamerTag:notjames

Post by blaze3927 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:08 am

Just re-confirmed the rumors that the n64 does sleep, removing all power for an hour saw it run good,
Australian Kaillera server
[url]hhttp://i56.tinypic.com/ncb0wi.gif[/url]