Presenting: The Nintendo Stupendo - finished! For now!

Show off your completed projects, announce your hacking progress, or discuss upcoming events.

Moderator:Moderators

Life of Brian
Presenting: The Nintendo Stupendo - finished! For now!

Post by Life of Brian » Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:40 pm

For a forum with this many members, the "finished" projects just aren't being posted often enough for my liking. I've decided to do something about it - by finally getting off my rear and posting that "finished" thread I promised months ago when I completed my SNES portable!

The specs:
-5" Zenith GameCube LCD
-NES buttons, meaning D-pad, buttons, and start & select buttons
-2nd player port
-A/V out (composite video and stereo sound! A technological marvel! Not really!)
-Headphone jack
-90 degree cartridge connector to help you pass trigonometry
-DC aux. input jack
-battery compartment holds 6 AA batteries

Since pictures are oh so much more interesting than words, here we go:

Like my blue towel backdrop? Yeah I know, I should do photography for a living. It's a gift...

So now for the pros and cons regarding the first full-out portable that I have ever built. I like to think of this baby as a prototype for more awesomeness to come. If I take what I've learned along the way and apply it to the next portables I make, then what do we have? That's right, super-mega-totally-cool portables.

Pros: Super thin - only 3/4" or 1" thick (can't remember and I don't have a ruler). Thanks to the wide design that Ben so graciously provided, it was fairly easy to fit everything in there that needed to go in. Finally putting the pieces together was a little bit of a squeeze, but doesn't that always happen with portables?

Black, red, and silver make for a frickin' sweet color scheme for the SNES. Hands down my fave. Plastic and bent aluminum are way easy to make a case with, meaning the next one I make will be similar. I'll try vacuum forming after that.

Sound can be turned way up. Full stereo too - the SNES had some amazing music on many of its games.

Cons: The paint job! Grr, I worked long and hard on this! And yet, just a few short hours after it was finally done, sweaty hands immediately ruined the paint job. You can see in the pictures where some places are shiny and others are not, and also where some of it is smudged and uneven looking. I swear I waited long enough after painting for it to dry before playing with it. I even put a few coats of clear overcoat on it to prevent this very thing from happening. Well, aside from taking it all apart and doing it over again, the only thing I can do is just do a better job on the next case.

AA batteries just do not last long enough. Although the mAh for my rechargeables are rated at 2500 mAh, they don't seem to have the capacity needed to run such a high drain system. I can only get about an hour and a half before the screen starts distorting with the sound. My solution? I'm using li-ions for my next portable. As for this one, I just run it off of wall power most of the time.

Ergonomics - next SNESp's buttons need to be a little bit lower and I'll finally give in and put the shoulder buttons on the back like everyone else does.

Finally, here's a link to a video of it in action in all of its unedited glory. Straight from my dorm room to you, the Nintendo Stupendo!

Also, here's the link for the "making of".

Edit: Turbo Tax - I just saw your new post! Shame on you for not using the news section! Shame for posting the exact same time that I'm posting mine! Oh no wait I wanted more posts like this...
Last edited by Life of Brian on Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:21 am, edited 5 times in total.
dragonhead wrote:sweet. ive spent a third of my life on benheck!

Skyone

Post by Skyone » Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:44 pm

Uber-thin, very nice! I think the paint job looks fine. Nothing a bit of enamel and buffing couldn't fix. :)

Turbo Tax 1.0
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by Turbo Tax 1.0 » Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:14 pm

awesome, i thought this was done awhile ago still sweet though
when life gives you lemons make flux
snesp mk4

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:22 pm

Turbo Tax 1.0 wrote:awesome, i thought this was done awhile ago still sweet though
:lol: Me too! Although it is a beautiful portable; I'm not complaining about seeing more sexy specs on this marvel! Great stuff!

CTFan

Life of Brian

Post by Life of Brian » Mon Feb 12, 2007 9:39 pm

It was finished a while ago but I never made a final write-up like I wanted to. Thank you guys.
dragonhead wrote:sweet. ive spent a third of my life on benheck!

grahf

Post by grahf » Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:41 pm

Extra geek-points for the NES battery covers 8)

jedi knight

Post by jedi knight » Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:14 am

Awesome portable! I love that color scheme.
Meh, I don't post much.

ATOMICMAN

Post by ATOMICMAN » Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:50 am

you could prolly jam a li-ion battery in that thing. look around for some.

nice colors though =)

Rellizate

Post by Rellizate » Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:31 am

Nice portable! I like the speaker holes.

gamemasterAS
Steam ID:lolz1337face

Post by gamemasterAS » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:34 am

Thats Hot !

:lol: It looks really nice.

Congrads

Gump-in-space

Post by Gump-in-space » Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:59 pm

Incredible. That is awesome.
Gamelver wrote:aw, I thought they were gonna be Gameboys inside the bricks :P.

Retromaster
Portablizer

Post by Retromaster » Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:15 pm

cartman- "KICKASS!!!!!!!!"!!!!!

that is frigging awesome.....
it is much cooler than any other handbuilt portable I have EVER seen.
you are a genious. YOU ARE A FRIGGIN GENIOUS.
http://portableuniverse.forumcircle.com/index.php? http://mtac.profusehost.net/ Image SAY ALLO TO MY LITTLE FRIEND!!!i finally used google!!

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:00 pm

Nice case style, what do you call that? Looks too clean to be Frankenstein, and really I don't know what you'd call one when you make it then add other cases to it. I'd have to give you an A+ for the case quality.

P.S. Leave me a note in the titles thread (Forum42) and I'll update your title.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

Kurt_
Portablizer
Steam ID:kurbert

Post by Kurt_ » Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:35 pm

So if the cartridge is X cm [up] and the SNESp is Y cm in length, would that mean the resultant vector from the top of the cartridge to one side of the case would be the sum of 1/2 Y + X?

Yay! It does work!
Hey, sup?

timmeh87

Post by timmeh87 » Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:35 am

Kurt_ wrote:
So if the cartridge is X cm [up] and the SNESp is Y cm in length, would that mean the resultant vector from the top of the cartridge to one side of the case would be the sum of 1/2 Y + X?

Yay! It does work!
actually that would be a vector from the corner of the unit to the top of the cartridge

"Linux is only free if your time is worthless"