Are you a thrifstore Junkie? What did you get recently?

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

humanman42
Are you a thrifstore Junkie? What did you get recently?

Post by humanman42 » Sun Feb 11, 2007 11:29 am

I am a thrift store junkie. For the more part every video game system or accessory I have is from one. That or I had it since I was younger, 80% of it is from a thrift store though. My most recent buy,

a Fairchild
for $11.90

I also got a playstation light gun i hope to use with my computer, and electric socks! they keep your feet warm! $3. and 6 sega games, Sonic 1 & 2, Sonic Spinball, Ecco The Dolphin, Instrument of Chaos...starring Young Indiana Jones (lol, that name sucks), and Kid Chameleon. All the Sega games were $7 for the lot.

What have you got recently?
“Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock-n-roll.”
Shigeru Miyamoto

wallydawg

Post by wallydawg » Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:20 pm

I love thrift stores. As a collector, I'm grabbing everything I can now (even if I don't want it) for my collection and trade bait. Video game collecting is a hot trend right now, I'm proof of that. While I have been playing games for as long as I can remember (my first video game memory is TI Invaders for TI-99/4A) I just started collecting last summer. More sooner than later people will find out about these places making it near impossible to find anything. I'd suggest to grab what you can now before it all dries up.

If I'd post what I got in the last month I'd be here for a while, so I'll just give a quick summary of my usual thrift store finds. About 90 percent of my Genesis games I found at thrift stores, 99 cents each. Best find from there would have to be Streets of Rage 3.

Both my snes came from thrifts as well. One is extremely dirty but it still works great. I know someone with a broken power port on his, so i'm trying to trade boards with him and solder on a new one. It was only $3 anyways. The other was $13, clean as new, and came with a bunch of 64 stuff, like power cords and controllers, to boot!

My best find so far would have to be a boxed Little Samson for $10. The last two CIB ones on eBay sold for $175 and $130, respectively. A loose cart only usually goes for around $60.

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:25 pm

Haven't gone in a while, but last time I went I picked up this blue box called the "WOW Thing". It's an external standalone box that handles SRS WOW effects. (Media Player does this too. Turn it off while playing an MP3 and you'll see why it kicks so much butt.)

The only problem is, IT DIDN'T HAVE THE POWER SUPPLY WITH IT! I can't find the voltage and polarity it needs either. :( (The port just says "power", and the sticker on the bottom just has "SRS Labs Part #" on it. Meh it was only a buck...

humanman42

Post by humanman42 » Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:42 pm

wallydog wrote:Both my snes came from thrifts as well. One is extremely dirty but it still works great
Wow, that looks just like a SNES that was in a thrift store close to me. I went and looked at your profile to make sure you didn't live around me.
bicostp wrote:The only problem is, IT DIDN'T HAVE THE POWER SUPPLY WITH IT! I can't find the voltage and polarity it needs either. :( (The port just says "power", and the sticker on the bottom just has "SRS Labs Part #" on it. Meh it was only a buck...

You can get a universal power plug that should do the trick, you can control the voltage from 3.3 up to 12. you can get them for $10 if you shop around. They have a ton of differant connectors you can swap out. I would say get one of those, start at 3.3v and go up till it works. Then once you got the voltage, find a old wall wart at a thrift store that matches the voltage, and another that has the same plug, solder together, you are done. I have done this many times. Its an easy fix.
“Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock-n-roll.”
Shigeru Miyamoto

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Sun Feb 11, 2007 12:48 pm

havent got much to speak of at thrift stores or goodwill or anything lately but i did get a snes mini for free from my uncle and a bunch of random non game related crap at an auction

ganonbanned

Post by ganonbanned » Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:27 pm

there are none with in 45 minutes of my house, sometimes I travel to good will though. the one up north by my grandma and grandpas always has something good, last time I was up knuckles Chaotix CIB $3, vectorman 1&2 CIB 50 cents each and halo 2 strategy guide $2.

my dad got a popeye arcade game by nintendo at an auction for a few hundred dollars. its in really good condition to.
Last edited by ganonbanned on Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Darth Fett
Location:On my giant space station. Firing on earth in 3...2...1...

Post by Darth Fett » Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:56 pm

The best I've got recently is FFVIII for $5. 8)
Laugh and the world laughs with you; It's inhabitants are an entirely different story.

typamc95

Post by typamc95 » Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:39 pm

A GOAC for 5$
Skyone wrote:
typamc95 wrote:There called Roto-disc.
http://www.mariowiki.com/Roto-Disc
Game, set, match!

Skyone

Post by Skyone » Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:44 pm

FFVIII for 5 dollars? o.O

I think the best I've gotten was a "broken" Xbox for 8 bucks. It was a power connector problem, fixed it in a few minutes.

Jongamer
PSN Username:Geekystig790
360 GamerTag:Mesu Gitsune

Post by Jongamer » Sun Feb 11, 2007 7:45 pm

lets see, I have found a SNES, 2 different model genesis systems, an atari vcs aka 2600, ps1, NES, N64, and dreamcast, and a GBO with battery door and ext filler, a gamegear, 15 or so boxed atari 2600 games, and a ton of NES games, probably around 25+ different good ones, probably 5 snes, a pirated jap version of SMB 3 in famicom style cart with an authentic Honey bee adaptor by what i think is hudson, a gba/ds action replay max.

whew thats all i found from summer until now at variouse stores,

and all consols were priceed from 5-8 bucks, atari boxed games were 2 bucks a peice, nes game prices vary from. 50¢ to about $10, SNES $5-$25 (super metroid was to blame for that.

I almost scored a complete DK green N64 Bundle for 25 bucks, but did have any money on me at the time so i ran home came back and it was gone. =(

Gamelver

Post by Gamelver » Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:53 pm

Just came back from a certain used record/game store and I thought I'd mention here that I got a Sega Nomad for $20 :D!

It didn't come with a wall adapter, because they said it was faulty, but I'm 99% sure that's fixable (gotta find an adapter that fits, first, and is the right voltage :P). I used to have a Nomad but then the LCD started getting some orange spots on it, and then it took up roughly 1/6 the screen (which got really annoying). So here I am, with a <s>brand new</s> Sega Nomad :D!

This should be a suitable excuse for reviving this thread ;).
Without games my life would have no meaning.
Well, I guess it would, but it would be a lot less fun!!!!!!!

Retromaster
Portablizer

Post by Retromaster » Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:00 pm

I made a thread like this.
I got two playstations and a lot of other cool stuffs at goodwill.
I got tons of ribbon cable and an rf miodulator and..... santa clause!!! (he follows me arround...he scares me!!)
http://portableuniverse.forumcircle.com/index.php? http://mtac.profusehost.net/ Image SAY ALLO TO MY LITTLE FRIEND!!!i finally used google!!

Metroid fan

Post by Metroid fan » Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:17 pm

I recently bought sonic 2 (genesis) and mario 2,tetris 2, and zelda (not 2) for NES all for 10 bucks.

johnbjuice

Post by johnbjuice » Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:19 pm

GAH!!!

all thrift stores sell around here is cheap clothes...and 1000s of copies of tomb raider (its really strange). Well, at least this shirt was only a buck.

Gamelver

Post by Gamelver » Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:56 pm

Ok, well I've fixed up the Nomad and it works perfectly :D...

of course, [Christopher Walken Voice]I stabbed myself in the thumb with my soldering iron[/Christopher Walken Voice] I hope someone gets that reference : P but it didn't hurt TOO bad and now I've got a working Sega Nomad again :D! Should be perfect for the 5 hour drive tomorrow :)
Without games my life would have no meaning.
Well, I guess it would, but it would be a lot less fun!!!!!!!