hackaday fans, show your love!

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

G-force
hackaday fans, show your love!

Post by G-force » Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:19 am

In the traditional American way of slapping a logo on a t-shirt and parading it around for people to see. Here's how.

This was way too easy. Only takes 15 minutes (after I screwed up the first shirt...), and lets people know you're a hackaday reader. Or you just really like skulls and wrenches. either way, it's a kickass shirt.

You'll need

-A black T-shirt. Steal one from your roommate, or bro, since you could mess up on the first try.
-White spraypaint. You can get this for $1.
-Printer and computer, and a piece of paper.

Step 1, go to hackaday and press the "PrintScreen" button on your keyboard.

Step2, open up MS Paint. Select "paste". Draw a box around the hackaday skull as close as you can. Then right click and "cut" the skull.

Step3, open a new session in MS paint. grab the bottom right corner of the white part, and bring it up and to the left until it's very small. Then paste the skull you previously cut by pressing "CTRL+V" on your keyboard. Then invert the colors by pressing "CTRL+I". Save the image as a bitmap onto the desktop.

Step 4. open the image with MS's Picture Previewer. Select the print icon. Print the skull as big as you can.

Put the paper onto a piece of cardboard so you won't cut the table underneath. Get a nice sharp razor or box cutter. Cut out the eyes and nose and set them aside for now. Then cut out the cross bone/wrench arm things. Finally, cut out the rest of the skull outline. keep in mind you don't need to be precise, this is meant to be messy.

Stick some cardboard inside the shirt so you can flatten it easier, and the front of the shirt won't stick to the back when you paint.

Position the jolly hacker skull paper where it would look best on the T-shirt. Use the part of the skull you cut out to figure out where to position the eyes and nose paper.

Cover the edges of the paper with a trashbag, extra pieces of printer paper, or whatever is lying around. The paint gets everwhere (as I found on my first shirt) so be sure you seal the edges well. I should have taped around the edges on mine, but I was lazy. The paper will want to buckle and lift up. For the most part, thats fine, it gives the skull a messy dirty vintage look. But go ahead and hold down the most lifted parts with whatever is lying around (in this case, some cans)

Then just spray the white paint. Don't bother trying to put it on thick, after a point it will just look the same no matter how much you spray on.

let it dry then put it on! (or if you're impatient like me, just put it on and walk around smelling like a meth lab :P )

just something fun to do. This got me thinking though; we could use a jolly roger type logo for PoD. we could use a soldering iron and dremel in place of the wrenches, and a 3-prong eye socket for the skull. My drawing skills on the PC are newbish at best, so I thought I'd just share the idea.

Oh, and thanks to hackaday, for just plain being awesome. Just wondering, how many people visit there? And how many people have no clue what half the things are on there (like me)? :P

gannon

Post by gannon » Fri Jan 12, 2007 4:41 am

That's better :P

The Earl of Sandwich

Post by The Earl of Sandwich » Fri Jan 12, 2007 9:01 pm

cowsgoquack101
Steam ID:cowsgoquack101

Post by cowsgoquack101 » Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:52 pm

I like Hackaday!

Pretty neat idea. Too bad I don't have any plain black t-shirts.

G-force

Post by G-force » Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:09 pm

@gannon: :roll: :lol:

@earl of sandwich: Thats awesome! I've always wanted to get on there. :D

*o*

Post by *o* » Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:20 pm

WOW! you made it onto HaD!

good work!
Penn & Teller wrote:It's BULLS#%@

mastershake916

Post by mastershake916 » Sat Jan 13, 2007 12:23 am

Greeting from the Team Hack a Day forums
http://www.teamhackaday.com/forum/
Nice shirt!
We have own our shirt going on too, even though technically they are THaD shirts, with a modified logo.
http://www.teamhackaday.com/forum/viewt ... t=1598Your
There's the shirt thread, and here are a couple of the shirts.
http://www.teamhackaday.com/forum/viewt ... 9407#29407
http://www.teamhackaday.com/forum/viewt ... 0718#30718
We'd love to have you register and post your shirt.

Happy hacking!