Is my new dreamcast dead?

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

XPCportables
Is my new dreamcast dead?

Post by XPCportables » Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:55 pm

Well I just got a dreamcast from game X change a couple of days ago. I quickly opened it up and custom painted it. I did not buy any games for it yet though. I went back to game X change and picked up Shenmue today. I was so excited that as soon as I got home I put in disc 1 before doing anything else. Then, to my horror, it went from the SEGA screen back to the browser. I clicked on the game button and it said "Please insert a game disc" So I put in disc 2, it booted properly and told me to put in disc 1. I put disc 1 back in and it did not boot again. After this, I put disc 2 back in and it would not boot either. I then tried all of the discs, and none of them would boot. I examined the backs of the discs, and all four of them are in flawless condition, not a single scratch on any of them. Is my dreamcast's laser dead?

Kyo

Post by Kyo » Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:50 pm

this may sound really stupid because its so obivious, but did you try cleaning the laser?

XPCportables

Post by XPCportables » Thu Jan 04, 2007 10:34 pm

yes, with a Qtip and rubbing alcohol. but it did not help.

Hokusai

Post by Hokusai » Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:38 am

Try using filterd water instead. Alcohol some times leaves a film like layer on the surface.
Famicom Fanboy WEEEE!!!

Gump-in-space

Post by Gump-in-space » Fri Jan 05, 2007 5:08 pm

Sometimes even flawless disks fail, as my disk of Sega Rally 2 goes back to the browser even though the disk is perfect.
Gamelver wrote:aw, I thought they were gonna be Gameboys inside the bricks :P.

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:41 pm

I'm pretty sure disc 1 is bad. Have you tried playing a music CD or something on it?

Krepticor

Post by Krepticor » Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:17 pm

yea one should always check the system before they mod it...

Also, If all else fails you could buy one at a flea market. I have had wonderful luck there, find a flea market special and gut it for your case...

sorry It really sounds like you GD-ROM went ka-blooey afterthe second disc thing... anyway, another option is to look for a dreamcast on eBay with a good GD-ROM, that may help,

But yea clean it first, then think about my ideas

~Krepticor
I refuse to dignify myself with an intelligent and witty signature

XPCportables

Post by XPCportables » Fri Jan 05, 2007 11:09 pm

I have a friend who got a dreamcast years back, and he never played with it, so it is in almost mint condition. I'm buying it from him for $20 then I'm going to swap the cases and take mine back to gameXchange and get some games or something.