PSP Custom Firmwares and other Hacks

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

teraflop122

Post by teraflop122 » Fri Dec 29, 2006 6:47 pm

No console is better that the other. They do what they were intended.
I'm afraid I must respectfully disagree with your view on the matter.

The moment two different pieces of hardware are designated as having the same purpose, they can be compared directly. For instance, the GameCube and the Dreamcast were built for almost identical purposes- playing games. Neither could be considered a movie player, and both had some crude form of online capabilities. The Gamecube had more powerful hardware, stored more data per disc, and pushed more polygons than the Dreamcast. Logically, you could argue that in terms of hardware, the Gamecube was the better console.

I'm not saying that any of the arguements in this thread have been valid- I completely failed to take into account such things as screen refresh rates and user difficulty in my previous posts- but opinions can yield philosophical truths through intelligent arguements.

...Come to think of it, I really don't have enough information to argue one way or the other about the PSP and the GP2X.

vb_master

Post by vb_master » Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:17 pm

teraflop122 wrote:GameCube and Dreamcast... blah blah... Neither could be considered a movie player, and both had some crude form of online capabilities. [insert random tech specs here] Gamecube was the better console.
Panasonic Q

ShockSlayer
Niblet 64

Post by ShockSlayer » Fri Dec 29, 2006 8:00 pm

vb_master wrote:
teraflop122 wrote:GameCube and Dreamcast... blah blah... Neither could be considered a movie player, and both had some crude form of online capabilities. [insert random tech specs here] Gamecube was the better console.
Panasonic Q
Like anyone ever bought that!

SS
http://twitter.com/ShockSlayer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Fri Dec 29, 2006 9:38 pm

when it comes to emulators (I dont use homebrew, just emulators) PSP > GP2X
once again, matter of opinion! the psp screen is wide aspect which means pretty much every single emulator either has to be scaled to fit (looks like crap) or run at native res which leaves you about 3" viewable area. plus its hardware refreshrate is slower than the gp2x's. the only hardware advantage the psp has over the 2x is the 3d accelerator because a gp2x can clock almost as high (normal 266 up to 295-300+ in some cases) plus is ARM processor which means that in some cases it can do dynamic recompilation ( i think thats the words im looking for) to make some things run faster. plus it REALLY depends on what you like to emulate, if you want crap n64 emulation and good psx emulation instead of emulating pretty much every console psx and before at perfect or near perfect speed (depends on the emulator, most arevery good)

nickerous

Post by nickerous » Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:58 am

Well, that wasn't hard at all....Less than 30min, I had my first PSX game running.

But....the SNES isn't working now...where do I need to put the 1.50 programs?

jperryss

Post by jperryss » Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:04 am

nickerous wrote:Well, that wasn't hard at all....Less than 30min, I had my first PSX game running.

But....the SNES isn't working now...where do I need to put the 1.50 programs?
They should work if you put them in the GAME150 folder. At least, that's how I did it.

Also, you may need to switch to 1.50 kernel in the recovery menu. TBH I don't really understand the recovery settings too much, but I think I read that somewhere.

Harshboy
Portablizer

Post by Harshboy » Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:07 am

Once you get everything up and running, from the point you finsish ripping your game to putting it on the memory stick it can take only 5 minutes.

Anyway, your gonna want to use snes9xTYL me for 1.5 (Even tho your on 3.02 OE-B) Make sure your GAME folder is set to the 1.5 kernel tho (Do this by starting the psp while holding R) Hope that helps :wink:

demonofaj
Portablizer Extraordinaire
PSN Username:ajsen1gma
Steam ID:demonofaj

Post by demonofaj » Sat Dec 30, 2006 11:10 am

I really recommend just using the 1.5 kernel all around...turn your PSP all the way off. Hold R, then turn it on...you'll see a blue screen. Go to 'configuration', and then go to kernel, and press right till you see 1.5, hope that helps.
"Life's a female of the dog species, then you die.."

nickerous

Post by nickerous » Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:01 pm

Ok, so I turn on the PSP while holding R and it will go to the 1.50 kernel. Then I can run all the 1.50 programs, right? Then to run the PSX game, I have to reboot without holding R to enter the 3.02 kernel, right?

Also, every PSX game I load says it cannot run the game on the first try. If I reenter the game, it will run on the second try. The first try gives me a 8000004 error. What's up with that?

jperryss

Post by jperryss » Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:10 pm

nickerous wrote:Ok, so I turn on the PSP while holding R and it will go to the 1.50 kernel. Then I can run all the 1.50 programs, right? Then to run the PSX game, I have to reboot without holding R to enter the 3.02 kernel, right?
I honestly leave mine at 1.50 and everything runs fine. Like I said above, doesn't seem to make sense (since the PSX EMU is part of the 3.02 SW) but it works.
Also, every PSX game I load says it cannot run the game on the first try. If I reenter the game, it will run on the second try. The first try gives me a 8000004 error. What's up with that?
Can't help ya. A few things I have learned though:
-Reading the directions helps. I couldn't figure out what I was doing wrong until I realized I had to put the KEYS.BIN file in the game folder :oops:
-When you do the savegame hack (using a HEX editor) you gotta be careful what you put in place of the SCUS_XXXXX section. The OP suggested using the serial# of the game, which is prolly the safest bet. I tried putting an abbreviated version of the game name in there, and the games wouldn't run for me.

Harshboy
Portablizer

Post by Harshboy » Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:11 pm

Umm, no thats not what you do. Ok, turn off your PSP.

Turn PSP on while holding R
You will see a purple screen, Scroll down to "Configuration" and press X
Look for "Game folder Homebrew" Make it say (Currently: 1.5 Kernel)
Make sure in the Advanced menu it has the following order of Firmwire version (in this order):

Now exit the Recovery mode by selecting Exit and pressing X. Now let it go into the XMB (The normal PSP screen) Both the PSX and SNES Emulators should work.

Never Hold in R from now on unless your screwing around with plugins or something (not recommended) Enjoy :D

As for Game names (Like SCUS_13377 :lol: ) use a program like PSX2PSP 0.6. It's nice. I'm pretty sure gamesaves will appear as the same if you use a Game number converter like that. I dont know, i hope i helped.

nickerous

Post by nickerous » Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:26 pm

Harshboy wrote:Make it say (Currently: 1.5 Kernel)
Make sure in the Advanced menu it has the following order of Firmwire version (in this order):

Never Hold in R from now on unless your screwing around with plugins or something (not recommended) Enjoy :D

As for Game names (Like SCUS_13377 :lol: ) use a program like PSX2PSP 0.6. It's nice. I'm pretty sure gamesaves will appear as the same if you use a Game number converter like that. I dont know, i hope i helped.
Ok, the homebrew says 1.50 and the firmware is in that order. Now, I can put the SNES and any other 1.50 programs in the GAME folder (or is it the GAME150 folder) and they should run, right?

jperryss

Post by jperryss » Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:43 pm

nickerous wrote:Ok, the homebrew says 1.50 and the firmware is in that order. Now, I can put the SNES and any other 1.50 programs in the GAME folder (or is it the GAME150 folder) and they should run, right?
I put them in GAME150 and it works. I think that's what you need to do.

Harshboy
Portablizer

Post by Harshboy » Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:47 pm

If you did what i said, you can put any 1.5 (and 1.0) homebrew into the GAME folder (not GAME150) and it will run.

nickerous

Post by nickerous » Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:37 pm

sweet. It works now. SNES is a little slow, but very playable on the games I've tried. Any other consoles that are close to full speed?