PS2P laser Problems

Includes PS2, Xbox 1, GameCube (but not the Phantom Game Console)

Moderator:Moderators

cody27
PS2P laser Problems

Post by cody27 » Fri Dec 15, 2006 8:52 pm

I've been making a PS2P for the last few weeks and I have came across a problem. The disk will not spin. The laser does everything like normal except the the thing that holds the disk don't spin. So any help would be appresiated and do I have to get a new laser or what.

eastsider_1

Post by eastsider_1 » Sun Dec 24, 2006 8:07 pm

What kind of ps2 are you using?? You have to MAKE SURE that all your connections are plugged in and tight. If your laser worked before, and doesnt now, that may be the case. You may want to buy a new laser on ebay anyway. I have had the same issues with my ps2m that will get done later, but right now I have to get a motherboard and im hacking a 7" portable dvd player screen for GREAT picture. First you should check the little black thing you have to push down to get the ribbon cable in the bottom of the laser is tight. Try cleaning the laser lens with alcohol, make sure you use a Q-Tip and just a DAB of it. You should use Isoprypol Alcohol or what ever that I word is.
PS2M-99% -Final Stages of the 1st O.G. PS2 Portable (Will this ever get done??)

PSTwoSP- 50%
Rewiring Controller, LED Modding Screen

timmeh87

Post by timmeh87 » Sun Dec 24, 2006 10:53 pm

so wait... why is this a laser problem if "The laser does everything like normal"?

it sounds like a motor problem.

"Linux is only free if your time is worthless"

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by hailrazer » Mon Dec 25, 2006 8:51 am

timmeh87 wrote:so wait... why is this a laser problem if "The laser does everything like normal"?

it sounds like a motor problem.
Well if the laser moves back and forth but doesn't find any information to read it won't spin the disc.

I've had several PS2's do this. Once the laser was replaced it would read the security sector and spin the disc.

eastsider_1

Post by eastsider_1 » Mon Dec 25, 2006 10:43 pm

this is pretty much the case. if the laser works but suddenly doesn't, the cables being loose is a major cause, but if not- the laser lights but the motor doesnt spin then you need a new laser. same case with a V9 im selling, but every laser that "works" lights but doesnt spin. A new laser WILL fix this problem, however, spending $58 on a new laser is costly, but will be worth it in the end.
PS2M-99% -Final Stages of the 1st O.G. PS2 Portable (Will this ever get done??)

PSTwoSP- 50%
Rewiring Controller, LED Modding Screen