Portable Wii

Includes PS2, Xbox 1, GameCube (but not the Phantom Game Console)

Moderator:Moderators

EnterTheHatrix
Portablizer
Portable Wii

Post by EnterTheHatrix » Sat Nov 18, 2006 3:58 am

Hey guys,

I've started planning for the Portable Wii, and I've come across a problem...

The Wii only supports 60hz mode and 16:9 ratio, and I can't find any portable screens that support those, they're only 50hz and 4:3.

Can anyone recommend a screen?
gamemasterAS wrote:Solder is also bad for you, says on the spindal that its known to cause cancer in the state of California.
vskid wrote:I'm safe, I live in Utah. :P

ATOMICMAN

Post by ATOMICMAN » Sat Nov 18, 2006 8:56 am

us ebay

look for a audiovox ex50

they are pretty cheap and are widescreen

i was going to use one for my portable (n64) but i dont need 16:9.

Skyone

Post by Skyone » Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:20 am

Yep, the audiovox ex50, as stated. Good luck on your adventures!

EnterTheHatrix
Portablizer

Post by EnterTheHatrix » Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:27 am

I'm in the UK.. That's exactly what I'm looking for, but do you know where I can pick one of those up here?
gamemasterAS wrote:Solder is also bad for you, says on the spindal that its known to cause cancer in the state of California.

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Sat Nov 18, 2006 9:44 am

the wii can do a 4:3 aspect ratio too. all it requires is a setting change

Skyone

Post by Skyone » Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:04 am

^_^

I don't know if you want to go in store to buy one, they can cost $150.

EnterTheHatrix
Portablizer

Post by EnterTheHatrix » Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:25 am

Still doesn't solve the problem of being in the UK, because I can't find any widescreen 5" screens of any sort anywhere.

I'll have a look for change of 4:3 mode, but there's still the problem of overlay on 60hz mode which makes it pretty unusable.

Skyone

Post by Skyone » Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:37 am

Oh, UK, I thought you said Canada for some reason. :D Just saying, those auctions ship World Wide...

ATOMICMAN

Post by ATOMICMAN » Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:58 pm

yeah look on the us ebay site and ask the seller if he/she is willing to ship to the uk

most will as long as you pay with paypal and not with escrow, check, or anything else

EnterTheHatrix
Portablizer

Post by EnterTheHatrix » Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:44 pm

My current plans are making it so that this is more of a portable Wii station than a handheld Wii, since you can't use Wii Pointer whilst holding the Wii.

The good thing is, you could build a screen and battery into the same thing and have it so it's just a sleeve you plug the Wii into, so you can take your Wii with you within seconds, rather than having a dedicated Wii and a dedicated Portable Wii..

Should I have a dedicated Wii though, does anyone have any idea what I could do to make it handheld as opposed to just being a portable station?

atari2600a

Post by atari2600a » Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:06 pm

Well you could hack the remote, put the infared sensor from the remote on a headband or something, & just slap the infared sensor bar somewhere above or below the screen...

EnterTheHatrix
Portablizer

Post by EnterTheHatrix » Mon Nov 20, 2006 2:29 pm

atari2600a wrote:Well you could hack the remote, put the infared sensor from the remote on a headband or something, & just slap the infared sensor bar somewhere above or below the screen...
I was actually thinking Sunglasses or something with a built in IR than a headband... Maybe a Wii cap... There's still the motion detection problem with the nunchuck since It can't move independantly from the base unit.. The Wiimote is no problem, I could just move the whole handheld around (which may be sluggish, but it could work).

EnterTheHatrix
Portablizer

Post by EnterTheHatrix » Thu Dec 14, 2006 3:44 pm

This is my idea finally designed.

The screen doesn't flip up because I think the whole laptop thing is stupid. Basically, it will just stand upright, no laptop crap. If there was a keyboard, I'd consider the laptop, otherwise, the hinge is just added work. The Wii slots in and has a hole for ventilation and for the USB ports, and a power input on the back side.

cowsgoquack101
Steam ID:cowsgoquack101

Post by cowsgoquack101 » Thu Dec 14, 2006 4:41 pm

Yeah but when the Wii internet browser comes out it'll be useful. But yeah I see your reasoning.

lifeisbetterwithketchup
Steam ID:lifeisbetterwithketchup

Post by lifeisbetterwithketchup » Thu Dec 14, 2006 6:50 pm

cowsgoquack101 wrote:Yeah but when the Wii internet browser comes out it'll be useful. But yeah I see your reasoning.
Can you even use a keyboard on the Wii? I'd test it out, but I don't have a USB keyboard handy.
Rekarp wrote:
mako321 wrote:What makes you head ninja, anyways? :wink:
Cause I am Abe F#!@ing Lincoln. :mrgreen: