Jones and I Looked for a WII (Amazing Adventures)

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

benheck
Site Admin
Jones and I Looked for a WII (Amazing Adventures)

Post by benheck » Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:15 pm

No one can really call us biased, wii went out of our way (5 miles) to find a Wii-osk to play the new system on.

First Gamestop. No diice. Just an Xbox 360. Hm, why no Wii? It's the swank side of Madison, you'd thiink they'd have one.

So wii scooted over to Target. Again, nada. They did have a PSThii setup, even though it was in pause mode or something. Wii figured out how to make iit work and played some Motorstorm. Lame load times. The guy behiind us asked the clerk iif he needed to come early for the Wii. Too bad there wasn't a demo to play, huh?

Jones grabbed a frii Wii demo diisk, which we decided to watch after the hunt.

Then we went to Prii-Played and Ben, that's mii, bought a used DS in miint condiitiion. Thus, Nintendo didn't get a red diime. ha ha ha. Now I am readii for Castlevania Portrait of Ruiin. We thought about asking if they'd have any used PS3's tomorrow morning, but didn't know if they kept guns behind the counter so deciided against it.

Finally wii hit Best Buy. Outside we thought a Hooverville had popped up, but rather it was a line of people waiting for, we assume, a PS3.

Actual people waiting in line, with tents no less, for a PS3. There were about 6-8 tents in total.

Wii then went inside. Lo and behold, they had a Wii kiosk! BUT there was no controller. The system wasn't even hooked up. No, just a video running telling us how cool the Wii was.

Jones has a photo, wii'll try to get it up, it's a crappy camera phone, but it depicts the empty controller-less Wii kiosk, with a PS3 booth and a 360 booth in the background, both occupied and drawing interest. Nintendo: hint - controllers would help.

Wii then realized that since you need to bii 3 feet from the screen for it to work, this would put the person a ways back from the kiosk and the cable would stretch over the aisle, clotheslining 6 years old as they scurried towards the PS3.

Finally wii went back to Verona and watched the Wii demo disk. Since wii didn't get to play the system, wii decided to pretend wii were playing:

Jones saves WW2 again for the first time.

Here's mii wanting to play baseball. Didn't have a bat, so I grabbed anything made of wood. Then I realized it was tennis.

So there you have it. Wii tried to play Wii. Maybe on Sunday wii'll have better luck. Check our next podcast for all the juiiicy iinfo!

-Ben

atari2600a

Post by atari2600a » Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:32 pm

Have you tried asking a Best Buy employee for a WiiMote?

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:04 pm

I don't think hii would have wanted to liive his license biihind the counter. I know I wouldn't do that. I think that's foolish, not to mention sillii. :P

jones
Compound Intelligence
PSN Username:jarjarisgod

Post by jones » Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:41 pm

atari2600a wrote:Have you tried asking a Best Buy employee for a WiiMote?
The Wii wasn't even hooked up. Wii checked. It was merely there for show. It was quite interesting to see the other 2 systems being played and the Wii display drawing no interest due to it being lobotomized. It's almost like Nintendo doesn't want people to have a chance to play it prior to plunking down money for one.

Plus, have you ever tried finding a Best Buy employee? The one wii tried to hunt down tonight (to ask some generic questions about the number of PS3's and Wii's they would be getting) was on his phone and then disappeared. They're like trying to catch smoke (kind of like Sirius Black).

SpongeBuell

Post by SpongeBuell » Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:56 pm

I know it's a bit of a drive for you, but try the gamestop in Janesville. My roommate is from that area, and he said he played a wii there (then again, I think he mentioned knowing some of the employees there)

I was at the Mall of America a few days ago, and played a wii there. It was good, but I really wish they chose a better game for display.
Life of Brian wrote:
RYW wrote:RYW:

Rare
Yellow
Weasel
I'll be honest with you - I would have never guessed that.

Skyone

Post by Skyone » Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:33 pm

¬_¬

If you didn't get to play it, what was the point of this thread? To use over-use a bad pun? I did find that picture of you with the wood amusing, however. :P

floivanus

Post by floivanus » Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:39 pm

The Wii wasn't even hooked up. Wii checked. It was merely there for show. It was quite interesting to see the other 2 systems being played and the Wii display drawing no interest due to it being lobotomized. It's almost like Nintendo doesn't want people to have a chance to play it prior to plunking down money for one
umm... not to sound like a wise-cracker, but ooh, I'm about 90% sure that it's the stores job to hook up any display units/promos, and companies jobs to send them the units, they can't very well patrol all the electronic/game stores in the US even, so.... yeah, I don't think so. The store employees didn't hook the system up, and Nintendo most definitely asked them to, companies wouldn't send product out to NOT be sold. Best buy's fault, not Ninti's.

atari2600a

Post by atari2600a » Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:42 pm

Actually, I think Nintendo sends out a guy in every (or every few) cities to maintain the demo kiosks. (I've been lurking around on their job listings...:P)

Skyone

Post by Skyone » Thu Nov 16, 2006 11:44 pm

atari2600a wrote:Actually, I think Nintendo sends out a guy in every (or every few) cities to maintain the demo kiosks. (I've been lurking around on their job listings...:P)
Nope... I was talking with the EB Games Clerk as he was setting up the kiosk.

Agreeing with floivanus, it's Best Buy's fault, not Nintendo's. :?

atari2600a

Post by atari2600a » Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:05 am

:evil: Damn lazy Best Buy employees! <Family Guy-like flashback>This reminds me of the time I was trying to get one of them to talk to me so I could find their cheapest Parallel printer cable so I could hack my 'one time' Walgreens camera!(long story) It took me like 25 minutes!!! Of course they do have good prices & a great selection...</Family Guy-like flashback>

Turbo Tax 1.0
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by Turbo Tax 1.0 » Fri Nov 17, 2006 6:22 am

Skyone wrote:
atari2600a wrote:Actually, I think Nintendo sends out a guy in every (or every few) cities to maintain the demo kiosks. (I've been lurking around on their job listings...:P)

but i think they need a nintendo rep or something like that to "check" on it before they can hook it up. or at least that is what the guy up at funcoland said was the reason why they couldn't hook it up yet
when life gives you lemons make flux
snesp mk4

jones
Compound Intelligence
PSN Username:jarjarisgod

Post by jones » Fri Nov 17, 2006 8:44 am

Turbo Tax 1.0 wrote:
Skyone wrote:

but i think they need a nintendo rep or something like that to "check" on it before they can hook it up. or at least that is what the guy up at funcoland said was the reason why they couldn't hook it up yet
Exactly my point. Thank you TurboTax 1.0 for illustrating my point.

Ben and I found it rather shocking that wii could not find a playable Wii on the West-side of Madison (believe it or not wii do actually want to play one).

Even more interesting is the fact that wii found not 1, but 2 PS3's to play despite the fact that there are supposed to be so many more Wii's available at launch. Wouldn't one think that would translate to the Wii having more kiosks available? Just a thought.

I really am beginning to think that Nintendo's strategy is to only put kiosks where the fanboys will go to find them and not put them where Joe Sixpack can find them. That way Joe Sixpack can't try it out for 2 minutes, say this sucks, and walk away. Whereas if they can somehow get him to buy the system without playing it he is then forced to put more effort into learning to play it. They know the fanboys will buy it no matter what, so they don't have to worry about them. Right or wrong that's just my 2 cents.

benheck
Site Admin

Post by benheck » Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:20 am

Exactly Jones.

BAIT

AND

SWITCH

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:45 pm

I've played on a Wii and it's really strange. Well I'm sure people and kids will have a great time moving around like they're have a fit or something, it's not for me. Steering a damn truck via tilting the controller is so bizaar that it just irritated me, esspecally because the damn D-pad is used for boosts.

If a good number of gamers feel like me about the Wiimote then Nintendo's just alieinated a good number of gamers from using/buying a Wii.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

NES_fanatic

Post by NES_fanatic » Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:54 pm

Either Ben was stinking drunk when he wrote this, or somebody else figured out his password.