Anyone Tried Hacking this?

If you're making a portable you probably need something to watch it on. (Unless you want to guess what's happening in the game, but I wouldn't advise that) Anyway, this forum is your "Hacking a pocket TV/screen" one-stop solution. Share your experiences and knowledge here.

Moderator:Moderators

figmentfilm

Post by figmentfilm » Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:13 am

Sorry to dig this from the grave, but I was wondering if anybody has managed to grab pinouts for this guy y/t. Mine should be here shortly... just don't want to reinvent the wheel, here.
With hip pads becoming a thing of the past, and LCD TV portables becoming a bit of a rarity, I think the new cheap source of quality LCD is pretty choice!

...answer me or suffer the onslaught of 'can I use a gameboy screen? how about a digital camera? Can I use a TI-83 screen in my portable?"

...first post, but I've been around long enough to know those are not fun questions to field :-p.

Indigno

Post by Indigno » Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:23 am

I don't know. This looks like something I would buy if I saw it at walmart, but not off of the internet. If it usess an OLED and is analogue, then it would be a totally awesome portable screen, and a cheap one, too.
Getting a tan while everyone else is in a blizzard... >.<

figmentfilm

Argh

Post by figmentfilm » Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:18 pm

Well, I gave in and bought one... The screen is beautiful... It's a TD025THEA3 from Philips (under Toppology).
The good news, tracing back the component signal to the cartridge is easy... The ugly... all video sources are seperate from the AV output... in fact... even the audio doesn't trace back from AV out to the speaker.

If anybody has bought one of these and can pass me a game cart to aid my trace with the scope, that would just be spiffy.

What I have noticed is the board itself has one IC with a number I can't find any info on at all (much like the complete lack of spec sheets for the LCD)
I'm not that good with EE, but I don't know of any way to build a component to RGB or vica versa at this level (the IC doesn't trace back to either video source, at all.)
I know nobody has cart pinouts, but I was wondering if anybody who has bought a OneStation in hopes to hack and have given up has a spare game cart kicking around for it. C'mon, I know none of us intend on using it for play anyhow :-p
I love this screen... I hate this toy.
Post back or PM me, thanks

Cheers
Marc

figmentfilm

update

Post by figmentfilm » Thu Nov 09, 2006 12:12 am

OK, figured out the only IC on the OneStation system... finally got a trace abck (damn double sided PCBs!) and found it's a 2822m audio amp...
There are no video connections or rgb/component ties at all on this thing... And based on common ground, no pin will output video to the LCD.
Did they REALLY put a driver in every singe game cart!? There is certainly no driver on the board unless they made it out of a chain of caps, resistors, and a diode.
This perplexes me, has anybody else looked into these things at all?

figmentfilm

RIP Little LCD of joy...

Post by figmentfilm » Thu Nov 09, 2006 9:22 pm

Q friggin VGA 8 bit serial friggin RGB. Oohh yeah.
If somebody figures this one out, it pretty much opens the gates for cell phone and pda screens.
But... I don't think it's going to happen.
Aside from a microcontroller and some major software, I don't see a whole lot of ways to convert Component to the serial RGB this (or any) display of it's kind will need to operate.
For screen hacking, the One Station is officially a bust.

R.I.P Torn apart One Station

On the flip side, for those of you who have one of these useless joys, it has a pot, a 20 cent audio amplifier, a switch, and a headphone jack...
Other than that, it's useless for hacking... unless anybody else has an idea.
Onward and Upward, need a cheap solution for a small LCD!