What do you think of this device, Portable multi system.

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

ransoman
What do you think of this device, Portable multi system.

Post by ransoman » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:59 am

on ebay uk:

Ebay link

It claims to play from it's own cartridges, look like an emulation based device, maybe using sd cards?

Sorry if this is in the wrong section.

SpongeBuell Sez: use BBCode to have words for links, then we don't have to scroll

teraflop122

Post by teraflop122 » Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:10 pm

It looks very clever. Just a GOAC & NOAC stuffed into a plastic case, really. The cartridges must be bought from the manufacturer, but the seller says he can help you with that.

The screen may have bad properties, like slow pixel response time. Also, most things can emulate Gen and Nes without trouble, so not sure if this is worthwhile.

scherzo

Post by scherzo » Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:27 pm

It says at the bottom that it comes with a "Sega Megadrive / Genesis game adaptor". So you can play real carts on it? If that's the case then SWEET!

UPDATE:
I did some research about this thing on the net. It sounds like the NOAC is in the carts themselves. Same goes for the GOAC games. It's in the cart. All the console provides is electricity, screen, sound and input. The true guts of anything that resembles computer circuitry is in the cartridge. Pretty neat if you ask me.

Since these things are pretty cheap, it could be a way to have all you need for a portable fast, minus the console itself; a good stepping stone It uses only 3 AAs too, so it has some builtin way to step up the voltage to 5v. I'm gonna get one.

Indigno

Post by Indigno » Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:38 pm

scherzo wrote:It says at the bottom that it comes with a "Sega Megadrive / Genesis game adaptor". So you can play real carts on it? If that's the case then SWEET!

UPDATE:
I did some research about this thing on the net. It sounds like the NOAC is in the carts themselves. Same goes for the GOAC games. It's in the cart. All the console provides is electricity, screen, sound and input. The true guts of anything that resembles computer circuitry is in the cartridge. Pretty neat if you ask me.

Since these things are pretty cheap, it could be a way to have all you need for a portable fast, minus the console itself; a good stepping stone It uses only 3 AAs too, so it has some builtin way to step up the voltage to 5v. I'm gonna get one.
Then couldn't you buy one of the games and use the guts to make an NES/ Megadrive/ whatever?
Getting a tan while everyone else is in a blizzard... >.<

scherzo

Post by scherzo » Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:15 pm

Indigno wrote:
scherzo wrote:It says at the bottom that it comes with a "Sega Megadrive / Genesis game adaptor". So you can play real carts on it? If that's the case then SWEET!

UPDATE:

Then couldn't you buy one of the games and use the guts to make an NES/ Megadrive/ whatever?
With trouble since the cart probably resembles something like the Radica Genesis, with a tiny chip with the NES rom on it, making attaching a cart connector a real pain (especially for someone like me who isn't great at soldering). It would be nice to use this in conjunction with a RetroCon or Yobo. That's what I think.

Adeptus

Post by Adeptus » Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:08 pm

Sounds interesting... I found this thread that has some links to more info

Apparently has an OLED screen... that would help explain the low power consumption

scherzo

Post by scherzo » Fri Aug 18, 2006 5:42 am

The screen has a resolution of 960 X 240! That's amazing for a 2.5 inch screen. I read this here.

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:54 am

scherzo wrote:The screen has a resolution of 960 X 240! That's amazing for a 2.5 inch screen. I read this here.
Those screenshots look really good. I think the width of the screen is divided by 3, 320x240, as 960x240 would be a very wide screen. I think the reason the width is multiplied is because they times it by the three color lines, I have no idea why they do this though. It also applies to most other LCDs, if it seems way too wide, divide the width by three and see if thats more realistic.

mog123

Post by mog123 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:54 pm

sry to dig up this thread, but a simple question

Can i hook up a SNES, put batteries and stuff, and play SNES games? :)

Gamelver

Post by Gamelver » Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:15 pm

No, sorry....this is an NES/Megadrive on a chip device, not a SNES one....
Without games my life would have no meaning.
Well, I guess it would, but it would be a lot less fun!!!!!!!

Reaperman@home

Post by Reaperman@home » Thu Nov 02, 2006 2:40 pm

we have a couple threads on them. I dug up quite a bit:
http://www.benheck.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=12217
the video of it in 16-bit mode is incredible.

also check out target. they should have a bay in electronics for the new 'coleco' branded (target exclusive) games. they also appear jungletac based and come in a variety of flavors including one packed with gg/sms games.

mog123

Post by mog123 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:02 pm

what i meant is:

Can i hook up an entire SNES, and use the "8in1 console" only for the display?

Reaperman@home

Post by Reaperman@home » Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:15 pm

mog123 wrote:what i meant is:

Can i hook up an entire SNES, and use the "8in1 console" only for the display?
if by 8in1 you're talking about the Jungletac onestation mentioned above then, almost certainly you could.

I say 'almost' because I don't own one to say for absolutely sure, but that's the gist of this "system". the onestation itself is nothing but power/screen/controls and it passes all of them out to the card slot where this thing keeps the game system and games.

mog123

Post by mog123 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:28 pm

i might buy one off ebay, there's one for 5,99 thats cheap for a portable lcd, isnt it?;p

Krepticor

Post by Krepticor » Fri Nov 03, 2006 7:41 pm

mog123 your from europe aren't you?

don't foget the shipping and all if you look at it that way...
I refuse to dignify myself with an intelligent and witty signature