Wire a PS1 pad to a PSP

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

nonzero
Wire a PS1 pad to a PSP

Post by nonzero » Sat Oct 21, 2006 11:29 am

After seeing Bens analog mod I was wondering if it is possible to wire an old school PS1 pad into the PSP to control the action?

demonofaj
Portablizer Extraordinaire
PSN Username:ajsen1gma
Steam ID:demonofaj

Post by demonofaj » Sat Oct 21, 2006 12:28 pm

I doubt you can directly connect the IC commands, but possibly 'rewire' the controls, may be posible...maybe try to encompass sort of connector holding the commands...hang on there. :P
"Life's a female of the dog species, then you die.."

nonzero

Post by nonzero » Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:09 pm

IC is out of the question, I was thinking of going with a point to point - hence the original digital Dual Shock pad.

I was looking at this info on the pad and was wondering if the PSPs pad contacts are wired in a similar fashion?

The way I see it, the PSP end would require these wires:

Dpad - 8
Analog - 4
Start - 2
Select - 2
Face - 8
Shoulders - 4
Home/Brightness - 4 (Optional, wired to L2 and R2 buttons on PS1 pad)

Bringing the total to 32 if each wire was point to point.

Seeing as the guide mentions that the face/dpad have common earths this reduces the wires down to 26 - Still a lot to have trailing out of the PSP, if I could use on earth for all of the wires then that figure drops to 16.

Anyone have any controller info or know if the one earth theory is doable?

gannon

Post by gannon » Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:20 pm

I'd say making a converter using a pic and a playstation controller port would be nice, then you could use any playstation compatible controller.

NES_fanatic

Post by NES_fanatic » Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:26 pm

I had thought about this as well fo taking the analog stick mod further, but concluded that there would be waaay too many wires.

nonzero

Post by nonzero » Sat Oct 21, 2006 4:24 pm

gannon - If you know how to handle the PIC related stuff I can take care of the wiring and install.

NES_fanatic - Wire to wire is currently going to use 26 of them, which is taking the piss but its all I have to go on at the minute. As with anything there is more elegance once the intial concept has been tested.

I'll be using copper enamel wire so the external connection can be very small, currently looking for a plug/socket although if gannon can hook up the tech then it all becomes easier.

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:48 pm

What about a USB adapter? It could be possible to write a driver to the PS controller and make it so that it's the input inplace of the hardwired controls.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

Harshboy
Portablizer

Post by Harshboy » Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:24 pm

If someone could make a driver that'd be hot. Implament it into devhook and that'd be even hotter :D

nonzero

Post by nonzero » Sun Oct 22, 2006 5:59 am

Sparkfist wrote:What about a USB adapter? It could be possible to write a driver to the PS controller and make it so that it's the input inplace of the hardwired controls.
Anything that plugs into the USB port of the PSP has to have its own driver/controller on board because the PSP side is client only, not a host. Which leads us on to...
Harshboy wrote:If someone could make a driver that'd be hot. Implament it into devhook and that'd be even hotter :D
There is no software in the world that can convert a client to a host, please correct me if I am wrong.

Currently point to point is the most feasible application of this mod.

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:38 am

Ok, I'm sure there are people that woudl be able to get a USB controller and an IC/Microcontroller/whatever to translate the controller's information so that the PSP could use it. I'll admitt I don't know how to do such a thing but I'm aware that this kind adapter is possible.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

nonzero

Post by nonzero » Sun Oct 22, 2006 10:52 am

Sparkfist wrote:Ok, I'm sure there are people that woudl be able to get a USB controller and an IC/Microcontroller/whatever to translate the controller's information so that the PSP could use it. I'll admitt I don't know how to do such a thing but I'm aware that this kind adapter is possible.
Of course, anything is possible and we are all on a modders forum where we attempt the impossible anyway ;)

As stated there are a lot of things going against this angle at the minute including the PSP client issue (need a coder to program an IC to host the pad), PSP software side driver (need a coder to program the driver and this will only work on 1.50 machines) and all the other related logistics.

Solder and wires is the simplest solution at the moment and thats what I'd like to get up an running first before attempting anything more ambitious.

Gotta work with what ya got and seeing as I don't know a 0 from a 1 (in the programming sense) I prefer my weapon of choice:

*edit* You have gave me something to look into though, rather than going point to point if I can track down the control IC inside the PSP and directly interface to that it would make the job a hell of a lot easier esp. if the ganon PIC kicks off...

nonzero

Post by nonzero » Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:49 am

Looks like ain't ish happening with ganon's PIC, back to the old school method.

demonofaj
Portablizer Extraordinaire
PSN Username:ajsen1gma
Steam ID:demonofaj

Post by demonofaj » Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:52 am

Actually, that PSP2TV thing looks VERY interesting...maybe someone with big bucks can buy one and gut it to see what makes it tick? :wink:
"Life's a female of the dog species, then you die.."

joevennix
Portablizer

Post by joevennix » Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:13 pm

It seems very feasible to me that Sony just reimplemented a regular Dualshock controller inside their PSP, especially if the analog stick's pinout is the same. Can someone trace the buttons and see if they end up being converted into the same number of signals as a regular Dualshock controller puts out?