Hard Drive Woes

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

HomicidalBarber
Hard Drive Woes

Post by HomicidalBarber » Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:27 pm

So heres the deal, I have this 60 gig hard drive that I was trying to install. (its my friends, he said it was broken) We install it correctly and it doesnt spin. The computer knows its there and we can view it from device manager but it says its 8 gigs and it wont initialize. Anyone know what to do? Thanks for your input.

-Tim

marshallh
360 GamerTag:marshallh

Post by marshallh » Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:33 pm

I don't know if this applies, but I bought a 8gb SCSI hard drive for my server a while back and it wouldn't spin up until I jumped a few pins. See if you can find the manual for the drive, and see what options you have for delayed spinup.

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:34 pm

What brand is it?

First, try the disk management tool. (In XP, Right-click My COmputer, select Manage, and then "disk management".) If there's only one partition, then you can remove it and try making another. BE CAREFUL! You don't want to accidentally erase your good disk.

If that doesn't do anything, you could try to zero-out the hard drive. Basically you download a boot floppy from the hard drive manufacturer, and it writes zeroes to the entire disk, skipping bad sectors en route. Go to the manufacturer's website and look for the diagnostic tools disk for your model. If you do use any of these tools, it's best to unplug your good hard drive until you're done working on the other one.

You said it doesn't apin? Maybe the bearings inside the drive wore out. If that's the case, it's no good.

If all else fails, make an Afrotech hard drive speaker!

HomicidalBarber

Post by HomicidalBarber » Sun Oct 15, 2006 11:45 pm

Ya I tried the whole disc manage ment thing Bic, I will look into that marshall thanks. By the way I love afro tech mods