Video card problems

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator
Video card problems

Post by Sparkfist » Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:05 am

Ok first off this is a G3 Power Mac, second it's running a PCI ATI Rage Pro 128 graphics card, and three I'm not changing to a PC.

I've had problems with getting a video on to a monitor for awhile. Last time I bumped the back end of the case into my desk and it started working. Today I'm having trouble getting it to work. I've banged on the case (worked before), used a different monitor,reseted the grphics card, and restarted it numerous times. In every attempt I've failed.

I know some members here use Macs and so I'm asking if you know what the problem is caused by. If possible I'd like to avoid buying a new graphics card, however if that's what is causing the problem I'll bit the bullet and buy one.

Thanks for you're help.

P.S. Just so I know for future reference, does the windows key on a PC keyboard act like the command key on the Mac keyboard?
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:22 am

Is it a beige G3 (in a PowerMac 7xxx style case), or one of the newer blue towers?

I don't know; maybe the card is broken?

No, the Windows key does not work like the command key. It brings up the Start menu when hit. (or it can do other functions such as lock the PC, open a command prompt, or minimize all windows to display the desktop.) I sure hope you're not trying to use a PC keyboard on a Mac... :P (I doubt you are, but there have been people who tried.) The Control key on a Windows PC is a closer equivelant to the mac's command key.

sgtpepper

Post by sgtpepper » Sat Oct 14, 2006 12:41 pm

If you really care to get it working, a new Rage 128 on ebay is $10-$20...

And yes, it would be nice to know which G3 Power Mac you're talking about. Personally, I know the blue and white tower one A LOT better than the older beige ones. :roll:
 My iBook's modded logo!
Jobs vs Gates Google Fight!

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Sun Oct 15, 2006 8:09 am

Sorry, it's a Blue & White 350MHz Rev.2 model.

Also Bic, I'm using a USB keyboard, not trying to jam a PS/2 into an ADB port. I just like my USB keyboard better then the Mac ADB keyboard I bought. Oh and yeah I only need one USB for my mouse and keyboard (has builtin USB port). I'd just rather not buy a Mac USB keyboard. just so I can boot a CD/into signle user mode.

Edit - Thought I might ask as I'm asking more then just a video card question. Can I use any USB 2.0 PCI card in a G3 Mac, or do I need to use one that says it's Mac compatible? I'd like to have more then just USB 1.1 on this computer, it's slow enough as it is.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.