Game companies can't make up good names?

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

sammy
Game companies can't make up good names?

Post by sammy » Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:51 am

If you didn't understand why Nintendo made up the name Wii or what the hell it means. Then try understanding this: Why is the PS3 controller called Sixaxis?

Well don't go saying that it's because there are 6different axisses (is that how you spell it?) cause their are only 3.
Yes you heard me, up/down, left/right and forward/backward. If anyone can make up a 4th dimension or even a 6th one then I'm sorry I posted this but it just doesn't seem right...

Here's a picture from a Dutch website to let you see it:
http://www.powerweb.nl/img.db?1732395

Does anyone here know why they DO call it 6axis?

SpongeBuell

Post by SpongeBuell » Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:56 am

I would like to say that they probably included the joysticks as well, but those 3 joysticks/DPads are 6 axes right there. Never did the math on that one before :?
Life of Brian wrote:
RYW wrote:RYW:

Rare
Yellow
Weasel
I'll be honest with you - I would have never guessed that.

totokan

Post by totokan » Wed Oct 11, 2006 2:59 pm

Hey, Wii is an awsome name! It lends itself to the best jokes!
"I'm going to nintendo world to get a wii"
"Sadly, I don't have two wii."
et cetra.
Shhh! I'm not officially back yet.

gamemasterAS
Steam ID:lolz1337face

Post by gamemasterAS » Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:53 pm

totokan wrote:Hey, Wii is an awsome name! It lends itself to the best jokes!
"I'm going to nintendo world to get a wii"
"Sadly, I don't have two wii."
et cetra.
:D The joke will start to be not funny....But only after you make the gamestop guy kick you out for them. :lol:

Indigno

Post by Indigno » Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:41 pm

You know, they made fun of "game boy" too.
Getting a tan while everyone else is in a blizzard... >.<

Gump-in-space

Post by Gump-in-space » Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:53 pm

Funniest joke I heard: After seeing the amazing controller from Nintendo, going to Sony's booth only to find that Sony has applied the same technology to their own controller, the message is clear. Sony has ripped off Nintendo's Wii. :lol:
Gamelver wrote:aw, I thought they were gonna be Gameboys inside the bricks :P.

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:40 pm

OUCHIES! :shock:

:P

I think they called it the "Wii" so it would be universally known between different countries and their languages/dialects. That and it's easy for small children to say, so they can get in on that market...

Oh, and mice that work like the Wii controller have been around for quite some time. And of course there was another controller for a Nintendo console that worked the same way before... *coughpowerglovecough*

Life of Brian

Post by Life of Brian » Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:22 pm

Eh, not quite the same...
dragonhead wrote:sweet. ive spent a third of my life on benheck!

*o*

Post by *o* » Wed Oct 11, 2006 10:33 pm

THE SONY SIXAXIS CONTROLLER HAS SIX AXES OF MOVEMENT!!

sorry to yell but i had to get my point across...rotational axes count as axis just as much as horizontal and vertical axis!

The six axes are:

Y: Forwards and back
X: Left and right
Z: Up and down

A: Y axis rotation
B: X axis rotation
C: Z axis rotation

so ther you have it the PS3 "sixaxis" control does indeed have six axes of movement
Penn & Teller wrote:It's BULLS#%@

benheck
Site Admin

Post by benheck » Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:17 am

SIXAXIS OF EVIL!

It's also a palidrome, spells the same forward and back.

It's also stupid.

Was Sony so broke making blue diodes they couldn't afford to, I dunno, REDESIGN THE CONTROLLER? For my money, design-wise, the PS3 is by far the ugliest POS coming out. The Spider-Man font sucks too.

jones
Compound Intelligence
PSN Username:jarjarisgod

Post by jones » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:34 am

I'd like to know why everything has to have a name anymore...

Naming the system is fine, but the controllers??? Come on!

Also, the Sixaxis has to be one of the dumbest names for anything video game related ever. The sad thing is, it probably took the majority of the Sony marketing department 3 months to come up with that name...

sammy

Post by sammy » Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:12 pm

Anyone know what the first controller with a name other than '...pad' was? I think it was the Dual Shock though I'm not sure...

I think it's fun to have a lot of different controllers. It really changes the way you play. I play Soul Calibur 2 totally different on a PS2 then on a Gamecube just because the buttons are not the same.

Different controllers are fun, Sony should have kept the banana. It's kinda lame that they have been using the same controller for 3 consoles now. I'm really fond of the Xbox 360 controller though, it's way better than the old ones really light and all.

Oh yeah, and about the sixaxis... I don't know... Your mouse has 2 axes (if you don't believe me, take out the ball if you have an old mouse) though it also has the ability to make rotational movements. Conclusion: the rotational axes are unessecary for rotational movement, so Sony will not have them included most likely. I'm not sure though... :roll:

MESAJARJARBINKS
Location:where did i get the name "eclipse" ah well doesnt matter...

Post by MESAJARJARBINKS » Sat Oct 14, 2006 10:37 pm

*looks at F.E.A.R,Infected,madden,BIA,medal of honor and call of duty*

what are you talking about?
<sarcasm>

note: i like FEAR,MADDEN,BIA,MEDAL OF HONOR AND CALL OF DUTY...never played infected
Steve irwin-died of stingray (WTH?)
R.I.P.

Indigno

Post by Indigno » Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:10 pm

Naming a truly new and innovative controller like the Wii-mote or the power glove (as much as a flop as it is) is fine, but it annoys me that Sony pretty much ripped off the idea from nintendo and then tries to look "cool" and innovative my giving it a name that's "edgy" because it has two X's and is a palindramawhatchamacalit.
Getting a tan while everyone else is in a blizzard... >.<

Black Six
360 GamerTag:Black 5ix

Post by Black Six » Sun Oct 15, 2006 6:57 am

sammy wrote:Oh yeah, and about the sixaxis... I don't know... Your mouse has 2 axes (if you don't believe me, take out the ball if you have an old mouse) though it also has the ability to make rotational movements. Conclusion: the rotational axes are unessecary for rotational movement, so Sony will not have them included most likely. I'm not sure though... :roll:
If it didn't have the ability to sense all six axes of movement, I doubt they would have called it the 'Sixaxis.' And besides, I'm sure the same sensors that sense the movement along the axes can sense the rotation too, it's just a matter of whether or not game developers make use of it.
"It's not that life's so short, it's just that you're dead for so long." -Anonymous
Threads Closerized: Lost Track, Whoops