Commodore 64...

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

benheck
Site Admin

Post by benheck » Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:34 pm

I haven't started one... YET. Officially. Been talking about one.

-Ben

Indigno

Post by Indigno » Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:05 am

No, but there are two of them lying around in the attic, I would do something with it, but I have too much respect for those two particular systems to take them apart (Can you say first computers?). The only way I could bring myself to take one apart is to buy another one.
Getting a tan while everyone else is in a blizzard... >.<

jeroen

Post by jeroen » Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:46 am

Sparkfist wrote:
jeroen wrote:Speaking bout this. Does anybody know any way to hook up a sd card slot too a c64 dtv? If not thanks anyway.
Here, you'll have to scroll down to find it. There is a draw back though, you have to have either C64 DTV 2 or the Hummer, as the peripheral requires the cartridge slot.
Will it work with a c64 dtv version 3 cause pal ones are either 2 or 3. 3 is just an update of 2 if I understood correct.

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:48 am

Jeri Elwood did mention that version 2 would have contact to add a cartslot. So yes you should be able to use it. I also read that version 2 would support PAL TVs.

I looked some more, I might have been wrong, I looked closer and didn't see SD (mistook SID for SD). They do have a card on the front page that can take IDE or compactflash cards. So you could take that and solder the contacts from the card to the contacts on the C64 DTV v.2 (or 3).

I'll keep looking to see if they have an SD cartridge.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

jeroen

Post by jeroen » Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:42 pm

Yeah version 2 is hummer and pal dtv. But there is also a version 3 wich is pal. So I was wondering if that would work to.

joevennix
Portablizer

Post by joevennix » Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:59 pm

I've had one of these for a while now, picked it up on clearance at the Shack for $10 if I remember correctly. I haven't hooked up a keyboard yet, don't have one to spare, but I am looking forward to it since I have started learning BASIC. Doubt I'll ever make a laptop, though.

*$cuba $teve*

Post by *$cuba $teve* » Tue Oct 10, 2006 10:35 am

Sparkfist wrote:Jeri Elwood did mention that version 2 would have contact to add a cartslot. So yes you should be able to use it.....
I wonder if She added a expansion port for the dtv v2.0, unlike the nes, the c64's expansion port can be for usefull and fun hings. Like super cpu, ram link, ETH64 and IDE64 (with G.E.O.S., WHEELS, Contiki, Q-link reloaded and every c64 game/program).

Figure out how to power all that and you woud have the perfect c64 laptop.
:wink:

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:07 pm

I don't know about an expansion port, the only thing like that that I'm aware of is the IED connection you can make, but that's really only for the Disk Drive. There are a ton of addon periphieals that you can plug into the cart slot. So you should be able to do a good number there, but you likely wont get the same result out of the DTV/Hummer as you could a true Commodore 64, they have the same limitations on overclocking as the NOACs do in comparison to an NES.

As for powering. The DTV/Hummer takes a simple 5v (just like the sun), then if you were to connect something like the Compactflash thing on to it you'd have expansion, then there are the one or two serial ports you can wire up, and then if you really wanted to be retro you can pick up a 1541 Disk Drive and use that to add more games/saves/programs.

By the by anyone know where I could get one of those new COAC? I know about the RadioShack Hummers, but I don't want to buy something like that from there if I can help it. The price would be helpful too.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.