Question about RF shielding

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

*o*
Question about RF shielding

Post by *o* » Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:43 pm

In my room I have some speakers, they are good speakers, when they are run seperately they have no buzz but when they are running they have a loud buzzing noise. I believe this is because the speakers and all their cables are nestled in a pile of other cables and powerboards, so i think the cables for the speakers need RF shielding what do I use for this? Can i use foil? can i use pieces of iron?
Penn & Teller wrote:It's BULLS#%@

NES_fanatic

Post by NES_fanatic » Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:55 pm

That may just be the dreaded 60-something-or-other noise thing that stereo systems do.

(someone else can explain what I'm talking about)

usbcd36

Post by usbcd36 » Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:43 pm

AC power is a 60 Hz (or 50 Hz if you live in Europe) wave. When you put AC power cords near other things, the magnetic fields they induce the same wave in those things. As for shielding, it's the cables that go from your source to the amp that are receiving interference. Make sure that you have shielded cables. Speaker signals are strong enough that the interference doesn't matter to them.

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:02 pm

You can insolate your room from RF by lining the walls with copper mesh. Different mesh block different frequencies, you might have to check to see what you need to be sure. I can tell you that it works, many coperations use it to insolate meeting rooms, and they even proved it on TheScreenSavers (put a cellphone in a case and tried to call it).
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

*o*

Post by *o* » Mon Oct 09, 2006 10:49 pm

The source is an ipod universal dock (apple) with an ipod av cable (apple) i thought the cable was shielded, i guess i am wrong.

P.S. isolatuing my room from rf would be bad i wouldnt have a phone, radio etc. and i need those to live :P
Penn & Teller wrote:It's BULLS#%@