question about harshboys diagram

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

csurban
Portablizer
question about harshboys diagram

Post by csurban » Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:40 pm

what does the 2k Ohm resistor do for this setup? reduce interference?
nope... can't think of anything I could possibly want to put in my Signature Block...

Skyone

Post by Skyone » Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:51 pm

That would actually be my part of the diagram. ;)

The 2k resistor is the RSET resistor that sets how high the voltage output is. With that said, it's obvious enough that it is a variable voltage regulator.

csurban
Portablizer

Post by csurban » Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:08 pm

ohh... i see. the device dosent output 3.3v nativly. well anyway, you seem to know a lot about this stuff so i got a question. I'm using the TI 3.3v converter PH... somthin and have a 100uf cap on it. the only difference is that mine is connected to ground and the 3.3v converter OUTPUT not the INPUT as shown in your diagram. It works fine but I've got some lines on the screen im trying to fix and wanted to know if this mix up could be the cause of it. I dont want to take it apart again cause its all done but if you can assure me that this is some sort of prob, I'll check it out.
nope... can't think of anything I could possibly want to put in my Signature Block...

SteelFox15

Post by SteelFox15 » Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:24 pm

The capacitor is supposed to be across the output for the PT78...233 whatever it is, don't switch it to the input. Some people have said that the interference issue can be fixed with a small inductor and diode on the input, so you may want to try that. See here for the diagram.

Here's the original thread.

csurban
Portablizer

Post by csurban » Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:26 pm

would this inductor work? and anyway... how would this work? It's got 4 wires .

Skyone

Post by Skyone » Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:05 am

That looks like some sort of... dual inductor? :P

If you look closley at the 4 'wires,' you should see two are green, and two are copper (hopefully).

If I'm thinking right, just use either 2 copper pins or 2 green pins... remember, I'm really tired, so I'd wait for confirmation. ;)

timmeh87

Post by timmeh87 » Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:09 am

yeah, for sure.

or, if you want to make it twice as inductive, hook the two coils up in series.

"Linux is only free if your time is worthless"

csurban
Portablizer

Post by csurban » Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:06 pm

I tried many different ways of hoking it up but I had no luck. the N64 acted the same way as before. is there any way with a multimeter to check if it reall yis an inductor? Or does anyone else have an idea what might be wrong? im at my wits end!