Lucid Dreaming

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

Bay_Wolf

Post by Bay_Wolf » Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:49 pm

Kenny_McCormic wrote:i almost had it today then my dad woke me up for school
Knowing my luck thats what will happen to me on my first lucid dream.

Regards

benheck
Site Admin

Post by benheck » Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:03 pm

I usually have lucid dreams, often my current situation is translated right in. IE, if I have 20 bucks in my wallet the evening before during a dream I have 20 bucks. For some odd reason, 90% of my dreams occur in shopping malls and the woods (and I detest shopping malls)

I have found a way to create wild dreams, at least for me. If it's ever convienent to try, go right ahead.

Ahem.

Drink A LOT the night before, get pretty drunk. Then wake up about 2 hours before you normally would (I do this quite often regardless, the wakiing up early I mean) Slam a can of caffienated soda, then go back to sleep before it kicks in. Since most REM sleep and dreaming occurs right before waking, the last 2 hours will be the most dream-heavy.

I have found this leads to more vivid, interesting dreams. But that's just me. Again, only try under normal circumstances (ie, you were drinking the night before anyway) I wouldn't want to lead to any debauchery.

-Ben

PS: To keep a lucid dream going (and not wake up) look at a close object in your dream and concentrate on it. This can keep the dream from "fading away", perhaps because you're anchoring yourself.

Nucklez

Post by Nucklez » Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:56 pm

I have a condition that I've seen called Sleep Paralysis. I'll randomly wake up at night, and I'll open my eyes, but none of my muscles will work. I can move my eyes and that is it! I can't turn my head, or even lift one finger. I can see everything, and I can even tell you what time it is when I finally wake up if my head is pointed at the clock. If that isn't bad enough, it is almost accompanied with some sort of nightmare. Since I am still technically asleep, I am able to halucinate sounds and images. For instance, I'll wake up and hear children screaming for help in the next room and there isn't a damn thing I can do about it. I've heard people breaking into the house several times, and I've even seen dark figures in my room, usually coming to kill me from they way they are acting. Then there are times when it is peaceful, and I can clearly see and hear my wife sleeping, and the fans running but I just can't move. It usually only lasts for a few seconds to a few minutes. If I really don't like what's going on, I'll try REALLY hard to scream. I only make a sort of mumble, but if it wakes my wife up all she has to do is say my name or touch me and I'm instantly awake.

I said all that, to get to this. I had read up on Sleep Paralysis, and saw some suggestions on a doctors website that has the same problem. When I wake up and I'm paralyzed, I can simply think about rolling over off of the bed. If I don't try to force my muscles to move, and just go through it in my mind it actually appears to happen. I'm not sure how the sleep cycle reacts to that, but it appears that I actually roll out of bed and can float. Just like the doctor said, the first time I tried it I fell through the floor and I could see the floor joists and everything on my way down. It is soooooooooooo realistic that it is scarry. I've been brave enough to float around the house, but I've never went outside. It is amazing at how detailed everything is.

Another thing I have done with this, and is actually another form of lucid dream, is to simply go back to sleep without rolling out of bed or trying to wake completely up. So instead of fighting the paralysis, just close my eyes and go back to sleep. That ends up being very similar to rolling out of bed, except that every time I've done it, the colors are all messed up. Very bright vivid colors, and I'm usually not flying either. One time I attempted this though, and I could actually feel my body falling asleep. It felt as if I was literally dying! I felt my heart slowing down, my breating slowing down, and my brain starting to rest. That friggen scarred the hell out of me!!! Since then, I have rarely experimented with the paralysis, but I really would like to keep on. I've found that it will happen about 98% of the time if I lay on my back. Now it is very hard for me to even fall asleep on my back.

totokan

Post by totokan » Wed Oct 04, 2006 4:06 am

What you mentioned, Nucklez, in your second paragraph is probably more like Astral Projection than a Lucid Dream.
Also, last night I had a lucid dream, but the dream that led to it... was unsettling to say the least. Thus, I just woke myself up. Although that Lucid part could have been part of the dream, I doubt it.
Shhh! I'm not officially back yet.

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Wed Oct 04, 2006 7:03 am

ive heard of sleep paraylisis and that sounds really freaky, and totokan it was a lucid dream but did sound kind of like astral projection (which is probably a lucid dream in reality lol)i have horrible memory so i seldom remember what i dream but i am pretty sure that i can usually controll my dreams when i first start falling asleep ( hypnogogic sleep stage mebe?) then i start loosing grip on them as i drop further into sleep, objects become unstable and unpredictable its kind of interesting lol. what i hate is every once and a while i will be sleeping and just wake with a start like something terrified me away, hairs on my neck standing on end and whatnot but i can never remember what scared me awake. this kind of stuff facinates me, along with the paranormal!

Nucklez

Post by Nucklez » Wed Oct 04, 2006 8:04 am

I've read that doctors do think that the Asteral Projections, and even Alien Abductions could've spawned from a form of sleep paralysis. They say that most everyone experiences a paralysis at least once, but don't have a clue or even worry about it since it only happens one time. I, on the other hand, can almost do it on demand. I attempted to do it last night, but I can never fall asleep on my back anymore. I'm almost terrified of it. You guys have me wanting to experiment with it again, so I'm going to keep on trying.

Extreme_Jesus
Location:Old Hampshire, none of that New hampshire stuff....

Post by Extreme_Jesus » Wed Oct 04, 2006 9:19 am

I always find i have more vivid dreams when, like ben, you wake up early and go back to bed (minus the alcohol :wink: ).

I have 4 alarms to get me up in the morning, at 7, 7.15, 7.30 and 7.45 and i find i always dream most during the 7.15-7.30 time. Ill dream what what seems like an hour but its only been 15 minutes.

They are often fairly lucid too

NES_fanatic

Post by NES_fanatic » Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:22 am

Contrary, to what Ben said, trying too hard to stay in a lucid dream actually wakes me up. :(

One thing I try is I have an audiotape of the ellow Submarine movie with all the weird talking and sounds and music that I listen to with headphones and take a tylenol PM to fall asleep while all that weird crap is playing through the headphones. Wheeeeeeaaaaahhh!

Mageslayer

Post by Mageslayer » Wed Oct 04, 2006 1:05 pm

Just today I had a strange dream. I was in my room, but my room looked completely different. How it looked isn't really important except for the fact that there was a large hole, much like a cube inset into the floor with stairs coming up on all sides of it. Somehow I knew that area should have been flat, so I imagined it flat and it appeared so. Then I knew I was dreaming, so I forced myself to wake up. I don't remember what happened next, but I know I had actually "woken up" into another dream you could say, and that this time I didn't know I was dreaming.

On a side note, I've had lucid dreams before, I actually do it quite often (dunno why either lol).
I once wrote:My head may be in the clouds, but the view up here is breathtaking.
"What kind of a monster are you?"
"The kind that killed your family."

Meh

Post by Meh » Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:10 pm

totokan wrote:What you mentioned, Nucklez, in your second paragraph is probably more like Astral Projection than a Lucid Dream.
Also, last night I had a lucid dream, but the dream that led to it... was unsettling to say the least. Thus, I just woke myself up. Although that Lucid part could have been part of the dream, I doubt it.
It was just a lucid dream, as he was never awake and I think astral projections are bunk. Well, most scientifically minded people do.
Nucklez wrote:I've read that doctors do think that the Asteral Projections, and even Alien Abductions could've spawned from a form of sleep paralysis. They say that most everyone experiences a paralysis at least once, but don't have a clue or even worry about it since it only happens one time. I, on the other hand, can almost do it on demand. I attempted to do it last night, but I can never fall asleep on my back anymore. I'm almost terrified of it. You guys have me wanting to experiment with it again, so I'm going to keep on trying.
Actually they know its caused due to part(s) of the brain not being reactivated correctly. Similar to sleep walking. Except you are actually awake, yet your muscles are still paralysted to stop you acting out your dreams. Sleep walking is when you are asleep but your muscles are not paralysed. Lucid dreaming is when you are asleep yet some aspects of your concious mind are not correctly turned off.

totokan

Post by totokan » Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:46 pm

Hey, I even said a ways back in this very topic I don't believe in Astral Projection. I just consider it a form of Lucid Dreaming, thus my statement is totally valid. Astral Projection is a Pseudoscience, thus not fit for my pursual. Lucid Dreaming has been proven, but I'm not sure about repeat results, otherwise, it stands up to the scientific method just fine
Shhh! I'm not officially back yet.