First project

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

Wrath
First project

Post by Wrath » Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:47 pm

So I decided a while ago to start making an N64 portable, this is my first portable and while I know it will be difficult I have not time frame and I'm not terribly concerned when it gets done. My First step was to get the N64 out of the case and after doing that I tested it to make sure I hadn't damaged anything, it worked fine. I went out and bought an Intec Game cube screen because it was a nice size, I heard it was good quality and I got a pretty good deal on it, after taking that apart (and accidentally pulling a wire free but it will be fixed) I started in on desoldering the power thingy on the n64.. It’s a painful process to say the least. I need to buy a case, some batteries and I need to wire everything up. I have a few questions about this, One: Can I just put the game cube screen right into the video/sound input, it fits fine and I know you can use the video cord from a game cube with an n64 or vice versa fine, Two: Can I use cell phone batteries to power it? Three: Suggestions for a case would be nice, I'm thinking of going with some kind of clear plastic tackle box or something of the like and painting it a solid colour with a see through colour combo

lifeisbetterwithketchup
Steam ID:lifeisbetterwithketchup

Re: First project

Post by lifeisbetterwithketchup » Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:02 pm

Wrath wrote:So I decided a while ago to start making an N64 portable, this is my first portable and while I know it will be difficult I have not time frame and I'm not terribly concerned when it gets done. My First step was to get the N64 out of the case and after doing that I tested it to make sure I hadn't damaged anything, it worked fine. I went out and bought an Intec Game cube screen because it was a nice size, I heard it was good quality and I got a pretty good deal on it, after taking that apart (and accidentally pulling a wire free but it will be fixed) I started in on desoldering the power thingy on the n64.. It’s a painful process to say the least. I need to buy a case, some batteries and I need to wire everything up. I have a few questions about this, One: Can I just put the game cube screen right into the video/sound input, it fits fine and I know you can use the video cord from a game cube with an n64 or vice versa fine, Two: Can I use cell phone batteries to power it? Three: Suggestions for a case would be nice, I'm thinking of going with some kind of clear plastic tackle box or something of the like and painting it a solid colour with a see through colour combo
1. Yes you can put it into the same video input plug. I would simply solder them directly to save space, but you can do whatever you want.

2. You could use cell phone batteries, but they don't really have enough juice to power the N64. They theoretically could power it but not for very long. I would suggest some li-ions from http://www.batteryspace.com or http://www.power101.com

3. I don't really know much about cases, so someone else help him out here.
Rekarp wrote:
mako321 wrote:What makes you head ninja, anyways? :wink:
Cause I am Abe F#!@ing Lincoln. :mrgreen:

Wrath

Post by Wrath » Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:09 pm

lifeisbetterwithketchup wrote: 1. Yes you can put it into the same video input plug. I would simply solder them directly to save space, but you can do whatever you want.

2. You could use cell phone batteries, but they don't really have enough juice to power the N64. They theoretically could power it but not for very long. I would suggest some li-ions from http://www.batteryspace.com or http://www.power101.com

3. I don't really know much about cases, so someone else help him out here.
First off thanks for the help, I'd rather be safe than sorry and I'll just make sure space isnt too big an issue in the case so the plug stays, Thanks for the battery advice I'll keep it in mind.

Edit- another question about batteries, does anyone know how much power the screen takes (im leaving in the orginal backlight instead of doing the LED mod because it comes with a dimmer) I can get pictures of it if need be

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Sun Sep 24, 2006 3:17 pm

Wrath wrote:Edit- another question about batteries, does anyone know how much power the screen takes (im leaving in the orginal backlight instead of doing the LED mod because it comes with a dimmer) I can get pictures of it if need be
Well, I know a PSOne screen consumes about 750mAh, so the GC Intec screen's gotta be somewhere around that. I'd say 1 amp absolute max, but bank on it being lower.

CTFan

Wrath

Post by Wrath » Sun Sep 24, 2006 3:19 pm

sorry to double post but The screen has a hookup for the standard gamecube wall adaptor which is 12v if I remember, So my question is how much power does the gamecube actually need to be powered? From that I should get a pretty good idea of how much power I need for the screen

lifeisbetterwithketchup
Steam ID:lifeisbetterwithketchup

Post by lifeisbetterwithketchup » Sun Sep 24, 2006 3:39 pm

Wrath wrote:sorry to double post but The screen has a hookup for the standard gamecube wall adaptor which is 12v if I remember, So my question is how much power does the gamecube actually need to be powered? From that I should get a pretty good idea of how much power I need for the screen
If you simply subtract what a Gamecube needs from what the power adapter for the screen (which I assume powers both the screen and GC), you will get an overestimate. Power adapters always are able to supply more current than necesarry.

So if you do that, it will not be accurate.

(I hope that made sense. :oops: )
Rekarp wrote:
mako321 wrote:What makes you head ninja, anyways? :wink:
Cause I am Abe F#!@ing Lincoln. :mrgreen:

Wrath

Post by Wrath » Sun Sep 24, 2006 3:42 pm

I'll probably go with what CTfan said, Id rather underestimate than over estimate and fry the screen, thanks for the help so far

csurban
Portablizer

Post by csurban » Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:16 pm

A good source of batterys i found is rechargible AA's. The ones I got are 2500 miliamps which could theroticalyl power it for 1.5 hours per battery pak...
nope... can't think of anything I could possibly want to put in my Signature Block...

Wrath

Post by Wrath » Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:23 pm

How many batteries did you use?

csurban
Portablizer

Post by csurban » Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:00 pm

well... since the rechargible AA batteies are 1.2v, I got a 8 battery holder and placed made 2 dummy batteries (2 conductive peices of metal shaped like a battery) along with 6 batteries to make a 7.2v charge. In the end, I bought 3 packs of 4 rechargible batteries so as i had two battery packs. also, since the dummy bartteries can be taken out, I can adjust the charge up to 9.6 if I want too and add extra dummys to make use of non-rechargible 1.5v AA's.
nope... can't think of anything I could possibly want to put in my Signature Block...

Wrath

Post by Wrath » Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:51 pm

wow this might be what im looking for, thanks, now i just have to get some cash for this thing