Making a PSP into a home console - Deportabilization ahoy :)

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

nonzero
Making a PSP into a home console - Deportabilization ahoy :)

Post by nonzero » Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:58 am

So seeing as I mainly play my PSP at home I was thinking of creating a PSP based console. Whilst this appears to go against the very ethos of the majority of the mods on here I think it fits quite well, its all about improvement and "if it can be modded - mod it" 8)

Main aims include:

External PS2 controller
Larger screen
Better speakers
Custom case

Appearance wise I'd love to cram the internals in something iMac styled or a nice looking portable DVD player:

The questions that I have to get started on this mod include:

The PSP2TV shows that PS2 controller can be wired into the PSP. How was this done and is it possible to implement their process in my mod without cannibalizing their kit (don't intend to output to a TV as the pic looks terrible).

The PSP uses a Sharp LQ043 display, are there any other displays of this family or similar but of a larger size that I could adapt/mod to display the native signal of the PSP? If not, what are the best options for getting the PSP output onto a bigger display without sacrificing quality?

If the screen replacement idea isn't viable then I would love to be able to mod the PSP as it is and use an external controller to direct the onscreen action.

Ideally this mod would be invisible when not in use and allow the PSP to perform normally on the go.

Something along the lines routing the internal wires for the pad out of the casing somewhere into a nice connector which plugs into an external box housing all the magic would be great.

So people, what do you think? I could do with some technical pointers regarding the pad/screen to get started.

Thanks

ganonbanned

Post by ganonbanned » Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:49 pm

I think its a really good Idea, if possible. I dont really know what to tell you except good luck :)

nonzero

Post by nonzero » Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:16 am

Thanks for that ganonbanned, anyone got any idea on where I could get the info I require regarding the LCD and modding the inputs?

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:43 am

So are you looking do do something like this...
...or this?
(Note: these are just some concepts for the PSP that I found, they were made before the PSP came out, so you would only have one analog of course, among other stuff.)

EDIT: I found some pictures of the PSP's guts. It looks like the controls are on seperate boards, so that will make the controller stuff easier.

nonzero

Post by nonzero » Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:35 am

Found some tech info on the PSPs TFT

Manufacturer Sharp
Part No LQ043T3DX02
Interface 24-bit digital (8 bits/color)
Pixel Format 480x272
Size 4.3 inch (10.9 cm) 16:9 aspect ratio

More info at the Sharp site and PDF spec sheet.

Here's the TFT pinout for easy reference:

And the datasheet for the connector is located here.

Can anyone decipher some helpful information from this lot?

Would it be a case of finding a similar display that operates at the same native resolution and just patching the wires to and from them or is there more to it than that?

vskid - Ideally I'd love to create a PSP based console outputting its graphics to around a 12/14 inch display with a wireless PS2 Dualshock controlling the action, all wrapped up in a custom fabricated box 8)

Any ideas on how to jack into the controller signals? I may have to pick up a PSP2TV and see how they have done it. Then again, thats cheating - I'd prefer to engineer this from the ground up.

Ari

Post by Ari » Tue Oct 10, 2006 4:52 pm

I don't know much about electronics and lcds and such, but I'm pretty sure there's no easy way to get a digital video signal to work on any other lcd. There's probably a reason that the PSP2TV costs so much.

I would reccomend just taking the PSP2TV with the PSP and the power supply that came with the psp and just put it in a nice box with all the switches and inputs and outputs required.

But if you really want to make it from the ground up... I couldn't help you there at all. It seems hard enough just to install a psp2tv to me (there's an article here), let alone making a similar device yourself. But good luck!

Gump-in-space

Post by Gump-in-space » Sat Oct 21, 2006 8:53 pm

:wtf: Does that "concept" say "walkman of the 21th century"?
Gamelver wrote:aw, I thought they were gonna be Gameboys inside the bricks :P.

xheavenlyx

Post by xheavenlyx » Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:40 pm

Wow, I aplaud you for this one! Its a daunting task! I was stuck yesterday trying to interface an adc0832 to basic stamp but crappy noise gave me all random crap 0/1's. anyway, if you plan to tap into the display IC then you could try interfacing it directly with an IC of an LCD of another bigger screen, but whats the use since the IC runs only the given resolution and size!

Another thing is that, if you want to enlarge and optimise the output of the PSP then,,.,

I.E:

Game UMD ----> Processor + controler input ----> LCD unit

You can tap into the processor output and take it to another screen...just a though. But mostly the processor will be programmed to output accordingly to the Samsung driver...you know.

The best Mod I can see is the controler one as shown by vskid. Looks realllly cool and comfortabe.
w000t! w00t! Rheumatic and still an electronic freak!

vb_master

Post by vb_master » Sat Oct 28, 2006 12:55 pm

Actually if you use SE-B' (rev. 2) there is no UMD required for loading ISOs, so basically if you get a big memory stick and lots of (legally backed up I hope...) CSO's you could do this really easy.

Super Cameraman

Post by Super Cameraman » Sat Oct 28, 2006 6:13 pm

Just FYI, The PSP2TV is really just a black box with a camera in it. It takes a video of the screen and shows it on a TV screen. Sorry to totally ruin your plan.

-Super
If you're looking at this post and it was made before 2008, just ignore it.

Kyosho
Portablizer

Post by Kyosho » Sat Oct 28, 2006 11:32 pm

Super Cameraman wrote:Just FYI, The PSP2TV is really just a black box with a camera in it. It takes a video of the screen and shows it on a TV screen. Sorry to totally ruin your plan.

-Super
Er...no. You're thinking of the Blaze thing. The PS2TV is something which actually takes video signal from the PSP, and you have to do some minor surgery on it. Click the link in the first post of this thread. That review from IGN explains things quite well.

Ness

Post by Ness » Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:04 pm

What you could think about is building a simple stand with the psp2tv installed and use a wireless ps2 controller. The device is connected to your tv and all you do is connect the psp to the seat tray.

When ready to leave, disconnect from the tray and the system is available on the go. Minor work, simple to keep portable as well.
Future WIP - X360L

Indigno

Post by Indigno » Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:20 pm

That sounds like the best plan as you dont riun the portable aspect of the PSP for when you actually do need to carry it in your pocket.
Getting a tan while everyone else is in a blizzard... >.<