The "Windows Vista" topic.

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

totokan

Post by totokan » Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:30 am

Once again, I return with blinding logic.
Does it seem right that to run an operating system, the second most basic software on your PC (after the BIOS), you need an insanely fast PC? It doesn't. You shouldn't need an awesome gfx card, M$ should optimize their crap. My gaming rig only has a gig of RAM, if I were to put vista on it, even though the rest of my rig is capabe (nay, 2x> requirements for ultimate), it would run Sloooooooow. So, why buy it? Same reason everyone went up from 2000 to XP, because microsoft stops supporting old software after it makes even worse new software.
Shhh! I'm not officially back yet.

jones
Compound Intelligence
PSN Username:jarjarisgod

Post by jones » Sat Sep 16, 2006 7:08 am

totokan wrote:Once again, I return with blinding logic.
Does it seem right that to run an operating system, the second most basic software on your PC (after the BIOS), you need an insanely fast PC? It doesn't. You shouldn't need an awesome gfx card, M$ should optimize their crap. My gaming rig only has a gig of RAM, if I were to put vista on it, even though the rest of my rig is capabe (nay, 2x> requirements for ultimate), it would run Sloooooooow. So, why buy it? Same reason everyone went up from 2000 to XP, because microsoft stops supporting old software after it makes even worse new software.
Actually Windows 2000 is still supported by Microsoft. They just finally stopped supporting Windows 98 a couple of months ago and Windows NT was just over a year before that.

The reason most people switch (at least in the consumer end of the spectrum) is because they go out and buy a new PC and it has the newest OS on it. This generally happens because people give in to the marketing machine. People unload perfectly good 3-4 year old systems to run out and get the Dual Core blah, blah, blah PC so they can home and check their e-mail and surf the internet on it. They don't understand that the old PC can perform these functions perfectly well.

In the workplace things a re a bit different. Where I work with an unwritten rule that we will only support a 2 OS environment. This means that when XP came out we eliminated anything that was less than Windows 2000. Once we did that we've been working on upgrading people from 2000 to XP in preparation for the next OS release. At this point we are probably 80% XP and 20% 2000. Once Vista comes out and we deem it fit for production we will eliminate the remainder of the 2000 machines to get it back down to a 2 OS environment again. It's a bit of a pain, but it makes support much easier.

A new OS coming out is always an interesting time. I'm sure this time will be no different. At any rate, I'm sure Microsoft will continue to support 2000 for at least a couple more years and XP for a good 5 years yet. They are solid OS's and a lot of business customers won't be in a hurry to move off of them.

Heck there are still people running NT that now have special support contracts with Microsoft just because they don't see any benefit in going to 2000 on the server-side. 8)

teraflop122

Post by teraflop122 » Sat Sep 16, 2006 7:27 am

Once again, I return with blinding logic.
Does it seem right that to run an operating system, the second most basic software on your PC (after the BIOS), you need an insanely fast PC?
Well, Windows 2000 needed a faster PC than 98, and XP needed a faster PC than 2000. So, whats the big deal? Journalists in the PC arena agree that Vista offers very real improvements over XP in terms of productivity, fun, and security. If you don't want it, just stick with XP! There isn't much of a point in getting angry at it!

Like I said, if I can swipe a copy without paying anything, I'll definitely install it.

I'm currently building up the money I need for a 15.4" gaming laptop, with a Core 2 Duo, 2GB Ram, 256MB X1600, 80GB hdd, and etc (I need avout 1300, I have 900...SO CLOSE)

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Sat Sep 16, 2006 7:59 am

Maybe you'll be able to run the Areo interface! (And that's it)

I don't think the OS itself should be a huge "fun" factor. It's supposed to get work done. The fun should come from the programs and files you load onto the PC. I don't even use the Luna skin on XP! (It's slow and takes up too much screen space.) Except for the icons and the Start menu, my desktop resembles Windows 2000 a lot. Boring? You may think so.

You can still use Windows 2000 on your regular desktop PC. From what I've seen, as long as your PC is fast enough it can do everything XP can. (Which is why Win2k is NT 5.0 and XP is NT 5.1... Yea it's true! :P) Some of my friends still run 98 just fine! (But why they want to? I don't know.)

demonofaj
Portablizer Extraordinaire
PSN Username:ajsen1gma
Steam ID:demonofaj

Post by demonofaj » Sat Sep 16, 2006 8:36 am

Personally, a big thing I'm waiting for is Windows Vienna. As funny as the name sounds, I think this is Microsoft's finally great shot at a server OS. Vista, meh. As everyone said, it really is a meaningless upgrade, which not much improvement. And it bites off a lot of RAM as bicostp said. Although it looks great, would it hold up, and Halo 2 isn't really a great reason to upgrade.

New OS + PC HALO 2=$310 (approx, based on the pricage of all of M$'s launch OS's)

XBOX 1 + Halo Triple Pack=$$190

XBOX 1 + Halo 2=$170

Well, Halo 2 is looking pretty bad now.
"Life's a female of the dog species, then you die.."

totokan

Post by totokan » Sat Sep 16, 2006 8:50 am

demonofaj wrote:Personally, a big thing I'm waiting for is Windows Vienna. As funny as the name sounds, I think this is Microsoft's finally great shot at a server OS. Vista, meh. As everyone said, it really is a meaningless upgrade, which not much improvement. And it bites off a lot of RAM as bicostp said. Although it looks great, would it hold up, and Halo 2 isn't really a great reason to upgrade.

New OS + PC HALO 2=$310 (approx, based on the pricage of all of M$'s launch OS's)

XBOX 1 + Halo 2=$170

Why would I buy a new OS to play Halo 2? It will work fine on my XP, well even on 2000 if it was on my pc.

Extreme_Jesus
Location:Old Hampshire, none of that New hampshire stuff....

Post by Extreme_Jesus » Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:57 pm

Im not inclined to get Vista really (ive only recently got round to getting XP for most things) as from what i keep hearing its just shinnier, but if you know better tell me otherwise :wink:

also none of my computers have above 512mb RAM at the moment :lol:

although im getting more soon

demonofaj
Portablizer Extraordinaire
PSN Username:ajsen1gma
Steam ID:demonofaj

Post by demonofaj » Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:17 pm

Haven't you heard Totokan, Microsoft is making PC Halo2 Vista exclusive, however, I am starting to bet any amount of money under five dollars (:P) that some hacker will make a line of code which will make it playable on XP.
"Life's a female of the dog species, then you die.."

totokan

Post by totokan » Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:18 pm

Oh, well I'm willing to bet I can run it on XP out of the box.

daguuy
Portablizer

Post by daguuy » Sat Sep 16, 2006 3:55 pm

vista would be pretty cool if my compy could handle it. but i mostly play games on consoles and use my compy for internet and school so i have no reason to upgrade my PC to support anything else, it does everything i need it to do. even my 25mhz 386 laptop can do everything i need it to do :P
ImageImage

MM007

Post by MM007 » Sat Sep 16, 2006 3:56 pm

Vista needs a lot of requirements, like 512 minimum recommended RAM, 1024 with Aero features. It will also need a 128 MB video card for Aero, but just like in XP's Luna, you can turn it off and make a Windows 2000-like environment. The requirements for that, video wise, are the same as those for 2000.

A decent CPU is a good idea, but I don't know how far down you can go, though I had it running on a Pentium III 866 (Vista Pre Beta 2, from late 2005).

As for hard drive space, it took 6.64 GB right off the bat, no updating...so it is even more bloated than its predecessors, at least that particular Beta was. With all the service packs, the OS files alone could eventually exceed 10-12 GB, my guess.

Also, this was a 32-bit Beta. I have not tested a 64-bit version.
Warranty-Voiding fun!

vb_master

Post by vb_master » Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:06 am

Anyways, the next time I buy a computer, it will have Vista. When it is released, hopefully XP Pro goes down in price so I can get it.

Busterblade

Post by Busterblade » Mon Nov 20, 2006 10:29 pm

Vista is out already (final version) for Microsoft MVPs. My dad's an MVP, so I already have Windows Vista Ultimate, which I will run once I decide on the best way to run Vista on my Macbook. I have tried it though, and it is truly the world's best OS. I am going to use it for all things outside school. I've got a gig of ram, but my school is tight-lipped about the graphics card, so I hope I can run it well enough.
92% of teens have moved on to rap.
If you are part of the 8% who still listen to real music, copy and paste this into your signature.

Unidentified Assilant

Post by Unidentified Assilant » Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:47 pm

demonofaj wrote:Personally, a big thing I'm waiting for is Windows Vienna. As funny as the name sounds, I think this is Microsoft's finally great shot at a server OS. Vista, meh. As everyone said, it really is a meaningless upgrade, which not much improvement. And it bites off a lot of RAM as bicostp said. Although it looks great, would it hold up, and Halo 2 isn't really a great reason to upgrade.

XBOX 1 + Halo 2=$170

Nuneaton Prices?

XBOX 1 + Halo 2=£53

woot

Somebody please buy my Dreamcast >_> £20+shipping :)

vb_master

Post by vb_master » Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:37 pm

I tried the RTM of Vista, it was ok but Aero used lots of RAM.