The "Windows Vista" topic.

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

Electric Rain
PSN Username:Denki_no_Ame
The "Windows Vista" topic.

Post by Electric Rain » Fri Sep 15, 2006 2:39 pm

Well, the search function (yeah, I know... reliable as that is, right?) tells me there hasn't been one yet, and bits and pieces of info and discussions about Vista have been going around, hi-jacking threads. So... talk here people! :wink:

Oh, a question I have to start it off... when it's actually released and for sale, are they going to cut off their faithful "beta testers"? (Those being all of the tech/geek people that downloaded it for... you know... "evaluation purposes." :wink: )

P.S. No flaming!

totokan

Post by totokan » Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:08 pm

Vista < or equal to XP. Prove me otherwise, using Vista Basic, not Ultimite. That's all I have to say.
Shhh! I'm not officially back yet.

Metroid fan

Post by Metroid fan » Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:09 pm

With the vista you can download do you need a key to use it?

totokan

Post by totokan » Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:09 pm

For more than 14 days, yes. Unless you like breaking the EULA, in whichcase no.
Shhh! I'm not officially back yet.

Nonsense Man

Post by Nonsense Man » Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:28 pm

Is there an announced Release date for Vista???

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:33 pm

Nonsense Man wrote:Is there an announced Release date for Vista???
Not really.
Wikipedia wrote:Microsoft has stated the scheduled release dates for Windows Vista are currently November 2006 for business editions, and January 2007 for consumer editions.
It only took me 30 seconds to find that, google and wikipedia are great places to find stuff...

Electric Rain
PSN Username:Denki_no_Ame

Post by Electric Rain » Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:20 pm

vskid wrote:It only took me 30 seconds to find that, google and wikipedia are great places to find stuff...
Presuming that's sarcasm... that's AWESOME! :lol: It's such a universal phrase for this forum. :wink:

Sig'd.

vskid

Post by vskid » Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:56 pm

Electric Rain wrote:
vskid wrote:It only took me 30 seconds to find that, google and wikipedia are great places to find stuff...
Presuming that's sarcasm... that's AWESOME! :lol: It's such a universal phrase for this forum. :wink:

Sig'd.
It kinda was sarcasm, it took more like a minute to find. :P
I middle clicked my Wikipedia bookmark, clicked on the search box and typed "vista", hit enter or search (I can't remember which), found the info, copied it, came back to the forums tab, and made my reply. I shouldn't even have answered the question and told him to search, I found it so fast.
I think this is the first time I've been sig'd. :D

teraflop122

Post by teraflop122 » Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:14 pm

Vista < or equal to XP
I like things that are A) secure, and B) pretty. Vista is slated to cover both of those. Now, if I can only get an illegal Corp hack of Vista to go with my Corp edition of XP :wink:

vskid

Post by vskid » Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:30 pm

teraflop122 wrote:
Vista < or equal to XP
I like things that are A) secure, and B) pretty. Vista is slated to cover both of those. Now, if I can only get an illegal Corp hack of Vista to go with my Corp edition of XP :wink:
Bad teraflop! :D
I was looking at stuff about vista, and some stuff is limited if it doesn't have the right licenses and crap. And the pretty equals bad in my book, because my computer is slow.

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:48 pm

Meh, it's overhyped bloatware. (I mean, 700+ MB of RAM JUST FOR THE OS!) "ZoMg we made Freecell and Minesweeper shinier!". Whatever.

Computing in theory hasn't gotten better, it's just gotten faster and shinier.

I'm stiking with XP for the forseeable future. After that? Mac OS all the way, man. 8)

vskid

Post by vskid » Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:57 pm

bicostp wrote:I'm stiking with XP for the forseeable future. After that? Mac OS all the way, man. 8)
Same here, except I'm gonna switch to linux because its cheaper than Mac OS. :P Free always rulez!!!

Triton
360 GamerTag:triton199
Steam ID:triton199

Post by Triton » Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:05 pm

amigaOS 4 FTW! :P
vista is made of bloat and fail osx is superior

jones
Compound Intelligence
PSN Username:jarjarisgod

Post by jones » Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:16 pm

We've got an Enterprise Agreement with Microsoft at work so in theory we're supposed to be able to get our hands on it right away in November as long as they stick to that date. Last I heard, Bill Gates said that it had something like an 80% chance of hitting it's release date.

I've got a 1 year old laptop at work that is pretty nice. 2GB of RAM, wide screen, and a bunch of other stuff. Long story short... I ran the Windows Vista upgrade advisor on my laptop and it can't even run the AERO interface. It can do everything else however. I think it said you needed a 128MB video card to run the AERO interface. It's been awhile since I did this, so I may be a little hazy on the details. Basically it looks like if you want to run full blown Vista you need a pretty nice PC with a pretty good video card, or a bleeding edge laptop.

I'll guinea pig it on my laptop anyway, once we get it, even though it won't do AERO since we have to test it out in the department before unleashing it on the unsuspecting end users. :lol:

Maybe I can convince my boss I need a new laptop... :D

If I weren't in IT though, I would probably hang with XP for the foreseeable future. Critics aside, it is a pretty damn solid OS. Especially in a business environment. Nothing else comes close.

vb_master

Post by vb_master » Sat Sep 16, 2006 6:27 am

I like how Vista lets you use USB drives as RAM, but the fact that Vista tracks what you do, that's something that I do not like.