Breaking Wii News Price $250 and Nov 19 launch*Update9/18/06

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

jones
Compound Intelligence
PSN Username:jarjarisgod

Post by jones » Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:19 am

sammy wrote:I don't think you can get a decent xbox 360 for 50$ more. The wii comes with everything you need, including a game.

The Xbox 360 you are talking of comes with a controller (not wireless) and a Hard Disc that is to small for a real gamer. Furthermore Nintendo WiFi is free, whereas you have to pay for internet on the Xbox360.
Actually the one Ben speaks of doesn't have a hard drive. The $400 one has the hard drive and wireless controller to boot. I've got this particular 360 with the supposed "puny" hard drive and it works just fine for me. I have 5GB free on it and that's with 10 demos (which add up to about 8 or so GB), a ton of downloaded content for the games, all the garbage that came on the 360 originally that I've been too lazy to delete, etc. Whenever space gets down to about 3GB I just delete some demos I no longer play. It's not a very difficult thing to get into the habit of. I think the 20GB hard drive works fine. Could they have made it bigger? Yeah, but then it would have just had more space to save crap that you wouldn't really need anyway. Unless a person is ripping CD's (if you have an iPod this is unnecessary since you can hook it up directly to the 360) to their 360 hard drive I think a person would have a hard time filling it up. Just the opinion of someone who owns the system. Take it for what it's worth.

And the 360 does have some cool games for under $50: Test Drive Unlimited and Table Tennis both come in at $40. Plus, there are others like Perfect Dark Zero, Burnout Revenge, etc. that come in under $40. Again, for what it's worth.

You don't "have to pay" for Internet on the 360. You can use the Xbox Live Silver package to do a lot of stuff, but you do need the Gold to play against others online unless it's a Massive Multiplayer game which Silver members can play as well. Plus, does Nintendo's online service offer all the functionality that Xbox Live does? Didn't think so.

jones
Compound Intelligence

Post by jones » Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:22 am

SpongeBuell wrote:@Jones: Sony already announced that there will be a motion sensor in the PS3. I'm not sure how it compares to the one in the wii, but it will be there. Great way to distract from the fact that the PS3 has no rumbler, too.
Oh yes. I saw this. I laughed. Shameless rip-off of Nintendo. I agree that it is merely an attempt to distract from the fact they don't have rumble (which is a big deal). From what I've read it's much simpler than the Wii's because it's not tacked on. The Wii's was meant to be there from day one. Another in a long line of Sony's mistakes with the PS3.

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:05 pm

The official word from Nintendo themselves.

I really don't think number of games is an issue for the Wii. You can't really make the argument that the 360 has a lot of games out; name five gams out for the 360 RIGHT NOW that are GOOD and unique to the 360. No? Didn't think so.

And Ben, you yourself have said numerous times that you shouldn't judge consoles before you play them *cough* :wink:

CTFan

atari2600a

Post by atari2600a » Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:16 pm

I think the PS3 will be the Colecovision of the next generation, & the 360 (or Wii) the Intellevision. To me, Nintendo's strategy is flawless. I don't see any reason why it would fail.

Remember, the Atari 2600 wasn't the most powerful of it's time, but it still prevailed...

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:20 pm

atari2600a wrote: Remember, the Atari 2600 wasn't the most powerful of it's time, but it still prevailed...
The most powerful system NEVER wins! Look at it! SMS, N64, Xbox; the only exception to the rule is the SNES (and NO, the Genesis did not top it, despite any previous belief. It's arguable to who sold the most consoles; although Sega claims it was them, Nintendo came out with the most gross profit.)

CTFan

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:22 pm

But the 2600 was released years before the Colecovision and before the Intellivision. :P So that comparison is like saying the GameCube will win against the PS3 and 360. (Plus Atari had <a href="http://omgpong.ytmnd.com/">PONG</a> and arcade systems.)

Again I ask all the fanboys out there: What happens after the novelty of flailing your controller around like a drunk Jedi wears off?

atari2600a

Post by atari2600a » Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:35 pm

For the last freaking time, waving it isn't a requirement! Simply moving your wrist will have the same effect!

jones
Compound Intelligence

Post by jones » Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:54 pm

CronoTriggerfan wrote:The official word from Nintendo themselves.

I really don't think number of games is an issue for the Wii. You can't really make the argument that the 360 has a lot of games out; name five gams out for the 360 RIGHT NOW that are GOOD and unique to the 360. No? Didn't think so.

And Ben, you yourself have said numerous times that you shouldn't judge consoles before you play them *cough* :wink:

CTFan
CT

We've played this game before, but I'll do it again.

Dead Rising
Project Gotham Racing 3
Outpost Kaloki X
Saints Row
Perfect Dark Zero

All good games. All unique to the 360.

jones
Compound Intelligence

Post by jones » Thu Sep 14, 2006 1:55 pm

bicostp wrote:But the 2600 was released years before the Colecovision and before the Intellivision. :P So that comparison is like saying the GameCube will win against the PS3 and 360. (Plus Atari had <a href="http://omgpong.ytmnd.com/">PONG</a> and arcade systems.)

Again I ask all the fanboys out there: What happens after the novelty of flailing your controller around like a drunk Jedi wears off?
Thank you bicostp. Glad to see someone else recognizes how lame this would be after about 15 minutes.

sam fisher

Post by sam fisher » Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:04 pm

I see the lack of actual long term use. I'm not gonna bother buying one. Ill go round a mates to play with his Wii ;)

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:26 pm

benheck wrote:A new controller that looks the same as it did 8 years ago
And the same name. Sony definitely isn't strong in those two areas.

Gamelver

Post by Gamelver » Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:01 pm

Actually, since none of us (most likely) have ever played the Wii, we cannot say if the controller and the games are fun or not. Speculation is all we have, and it seems like those against the Wii are taking a worst case scenario, because they're biased against Nintendo (and rightly so, since it's made some bad mistakes in the past few years :|..). Anyway, I agree that it could possibly be very gimmicky. Fun at first...and then tiring/stupid. On the other hand, it could be very enjoyable, all depending on how they implement it.

I'm buying a Wii, most likely, but I'm thinking it is a bit risky, since I'm taking the chance that it WILL be boring after a while :|. But if it works out, then great :D!
Without games my life would have no meaning.
Well, I guess it would, but it would be a lot less fun!!!!!!!

Skyone

Post by Skyone » Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:03 pm

Guys, If you didn't notice, the topics title is "Breaking Wii News." Not Xbox 360 vs. Wii vs. PS3. So I'll lock this if we don't stop flaming and fanboying.

Gamelver

Post by Gamelver » Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:05 pm

Well, the price is really a huge factor in the whole console wars thing :P. But yes, I suppose we should just all rejoice for a cheap next-gen console ;), albeit a very underpowered one :|...
Without games my life would have no meaning.
Well, I guess it would, but it would be a lot less fun!!!!!!!

totokan

Post by totokan » Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:12 pm

Darn. This argument again. I participated the last time, now I'll ignore it.
The wii coming out in November is good for me, more time to save up for it and games. It has a strong launch lineup, Twilight Princess is more than enough, unless it is finally released and turns out to be a steaming pile of crap, not the 'OOT for the next-gen' it's parading around being called. Even so, now I get wii sports FREE! That's worth the 250, if you ask me. Also, if you don't like the "Wave around like a psycho maniac" it's sensitive enough so that smaller movements are just as good. I agree with the mentality that games are meant to be played and not to tire you out, but when you're all hyped up in the middle of a FPS session, you've got the adrenaline to burn anyways, why not waste it swinging your arms wildly.
Shhh! I'm not officially back yet.