Breaking Wii News Price $250 and Nov 19 launch*Update9/18/06

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

Motoman
Breaking Wii News Price $250 and Nov 19 launch*Update9/18/06

Post by Motoman » Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:44 pm

Yup, just go to gamespot and click on the red bar. Its $250 and coming out November 19th. Dammit, to me 250 seems too high for a Wii, although i think they mentioned that it would also come with Wii Sports and another controller.
Discuss Away!!1!!!

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/ ... ndo14.html
Last edited by Motoman on Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

"Living After Midnight"

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:48 pm

Dude, it's launching 2 days after the PS3! This should be fun!!! :twisted:

CTFan

atari2600a

Post by atari2600a » Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:16 pm

Sony, prepare to be F'd in the A!!! 8)

Skyone

Post by Skyone » Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:48 pm

Proven false. This is what happens when news comes out BEFORE the press conference. :roll:

Click on that link again, would ya?

atari2600a

Post by atari2600a » Wed Sep 13, 2006 11:59 pm

Detailed improvement to NWC, including a news channel & a weather channel, plus Wii Sports standardly bundled w/ the system. You call this a false source? Surely in 12 hours (more to me thanks to my school district's proxy server) we will get a lot more great news, but surely the above is enough to celebrate!

(Plus, since Super Mario Galaxy coming out in '07, I won't have to worry about purchasing it & I can just stick w/ Wii Sports for a few weeks! :P

Skyone

Post by Skyone » Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:20 am

If you guys want real, not fake, news:

http://www.joystiq.com/2006/09/14/ninte ... eblogging/

jones
Compound Intelligence
PSN Username:jarjarisgod

Post by jones » Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:05 am

If you want another dose of reality, check out USA Today.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/gaming/200 ... date_x.htm

Microsoft will rule the next-gen wars. Time to start believing. :)

Kurt_
Portablizer
Steam ID:kurbert

Post by Kurt_ » Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:01 am

Don't start a flame war.

Besides, 85% or more of the people on this site are Nintendo disciples.

Nintendo might not always be on top, but they always influence the other companies with their innovative and just-crazy-enough-to-work ideas.

I guarantee Sony or Microsoft will come out with a gyroscopic controller in the next 3 years.
PWN3D!1!!1!(ONE)!!1! wrote: Nintendo plans to have 4 million systems shipped worldwide by year's end, he says. Sony recently reduced from 4 million to 2 million the number of PS3s likely to reach the USA and Japan this year. Analysts expect U.S. retailers to have about 400,000 PS3s and about 1 million Wii systems at launch.
Wiki wrote: Shipments [of the Xbox 360] will reach 10 million units worldwide by the end of 2006.
Divide that number by 2 (2 years vs. 1) and you get Xbox in the lead by 5,000,000 units; Nintendo in a close second with an ESTIAMTED 4,000,000 units; and Sony in last place with an ESTIMATED 400,000.

To recap:

5,000,000 vs
4,000,000 vs
...400,000...hehe :lol:
Hey, sup?

jones
Compound Intelligence
PSN Username:jarjarisgod

Post by jones » Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:15 am

Kurt_ wrote:Don't start a flame war.

Besides, 85% or more of the people on this site are Nintendo disciples.

Nintendo might not always be on top, but they always influence the other companies with their innovative and just-crazy-enough-to-work ideas.

I guarantee Sony or Microsoft will come out with a gyroscopic controller in the next 3 years.
Not trying to start a flame war. Just hoping reality starts setting in now. Also, it is a two-way street here. I see people on here all the time expounding about how great Nintendo is. I'm just providing a counterpoint.

I've already explained my side on the debate in the podcasts and other posts on this board.

Anyway, that said, I wouldn't be so certain about the other vendors bringing out similar controllers. The Wii will fill a niche, a necessary niche mind you, but a niche nonetheless. The Nintendo loyalists (PC term for fanboys) will buy them. Of that I have no doubt. Will this become the new standard? Possibly, but I think not. I see no reason for this sort of stuff until we get into true virtual reality and that's not coming anytime soon.

Also, don't forget that Nintendo has had a lot of bad ideas in their history. Power Glove, R.O.B., Virtua Boy, Super Scope, etc. They are not immune to mistakes.

As I have said before, I hope Nintendo does well as competition is the spice of life. It will make all 3 companies work harder for your money and mine. In that respect we all win.

benheck
Site Admin

Post by benheck » Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:58 am

I am completely unshocked that it cost $250. What did surprize me is in the article it says the downloadable games are 5-10 bucks each.

I thought they were supposed to be iTunes priced? (a buck) Does ANYONE besides me think 5 bucks for a ROM of a 20 year old game is a ripoff?

Why are people going to buy a $250 machine with a (guessing) 800 mHZ CPU and a wand when for $50 more then can get a screaming fast tri-core Xbox 360 with 5 times the RAM that plays all the latest games and top franchises?

Sony failing doesn't hand it to Nintendo, it hands it to Microsoft. 5 years ago I would have liked to see Nintendo kick some ass, but since then they've disenfranchised me with gimmick after money-grubbing gimmick. No more.

And Jones is right, the door swings both ways. As long as the debate is healthy, go for it!

BAD-IDEA SUB-NOTE:

Yes Jones, the big N has built a lot of crap. However, they also have NOT built:

32-X Attachment
The Enforcer
PSX - PS2 combo DVR
A new controller that looks the same as it did 8 years ago
A buggy Cell processor
Windows ME

sammy

Post by sammy » Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:16 am

I don't think you can get a decent xbox 360 for 50$ more. The wii comes with everything you need, including a game.

The Xbox 360 you are talking of comes with a controller (not wireless) and a Hard Disc that is to small for a real gamer. Furthermore Nintendo WiFi is free, whereas you have to pay for internet on the Xbox360.

teraflop122

Post by teraflop122 » Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:26 am

Why are people going to buy a $250 machine with a (guessing) 800 mHZ CPU and a wand when for $50 more then can get a screaming fast tri-core Xbox 360
I never thought of it that way... I *was* interested in the Wii, but I no longer consider it cost effective.

SpongeBuell

Post by SpongeBuell » Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:30 am

benheck wrote:Why are people going to buy a $250 machine with a (guessing) 800 mHZ CPU and a wand when for $50 more then can get a screaming fast tri-core Xbox 360 with 5 times the RAM that plays all the latest games and top franchises?
Just remember, power isn't everything. If the games are complete crap, power means nothing. Granted, that isn't always the case, but I think that many, possibly even the majority, of consumers don't really know or even care about the CPU speeds, type of graphics chipsets, and the like. Often, they make their choice based on the games available, whether the system is marketed towards them (not too many younger kids have an xbox, nor do older teenagers have gamecubes) and what their friends have. Yep, I really do think that last one is a big issue. People will buy the same system and bring their games along to other people's houses. My brother and his friends do it all the time, and I used to do it as well. (not so much anymore, I haven't been gaming as much as I used to)

ohmygod! I'm arguing with Ben! :shock:

@Jones: Sony already announced that there will be a motion sensor in the PS3. I'm not sure how it compares to the one in the wii, but it will be there. Great way to distract from the fact that the PS3 has no rumbler, too.
Life of Brian wrote:
RYW wrote:RYW:

Rare
Yellow
Weasel
I'll be honest with you - I would have never guessed that.

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:03 am

benheck wrote:I am completely unshocked that it cost $250. What did surprize me is in the article it says the downloadable games are 5-10 bucks each.

I thought they were supposed to be iTunes priced? (a buck) Does ANYONE besides me think 5 bucks for a ROM of a 20 year old game is a ripoff?
I do. A buck for Super Mario 1 is OK, but $5 or $10?! I could buy SMB AND Duck Hunt for a QUARTER at Gamestop when they still carried that stuff! Who would pay $10 for a game when a new one can be had for $20? The kiddies who will beg their parents for the console, who are half as old as said games? I don't think so.
Why are people going to buy a $250 machine with a (guessing) 800 mHZ CPU and a wand when for $50 more then can get a screaming fast tri-core Xbox 360 with 5 times the RAM that plays all the latest games and top franchises?
Because it's Nintendo. That's it. :roll:
Sony failing doesn't hand it to Nintendo, it hands it to Microsoft. 5 years ago I would have liked to see Nintendo kick some ass, but since then they've disenfranchised me with gimmick after money-grubbing gimmick. No more.
My sentiments exactly.

You just gave me an idea for an article... :twisted:

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:07 am

Oh my god people now think the Wii isn't all that... Wow.[/ssarcasm]

Ben does make a good point about the 360 have more games, and more the currnet franchise. So really if Nintendo wants to pull out of the 3rd place position that they received from the GameCube they better have some great launch titles.

Also about the downaloadable games... RIP-OFF!!! You can get those games cheaper then that off ebay to play on an NES or SNES. There was a friend I know that make the comment about that option on the Wii, I wonder how he'll feel about them costing $5-10.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.