YAY I GOT AN SNES

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

Mageslayer
YAY I GOT AN SNES

Post by Mageslayer » Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:34 pm

Heh. I;ve been searching for one I wouldn't have to buy online for ages. Anyway, among the many games I got, one seems not to work. That's Zelda. Also my super gameboy that I've had for years doesn't wanna work either : / So my question is, how would you recommend trying to clan/fix them? is there any way to know for sure that they're SHOT? thanks for the help.
I once wrote:My head may be in the clouds, but the view up here is breathtaking.
"What kind of a monster are you?"
"The kind that killed your family."

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:40 pm

Take a q-tip and some rubbing alcohol and clean the cartridges. They're prbably pretty crusty. (dip one end of the q-tip in the alcohol, rub, then take the dry end and rub it again.)

If they still don't work, take a pencil with a good eraser and carefully rub the eraser on the cart contacts. Then blow them off, preferably with canned air or an air compressor. (Breath is very humid and moisture speeds corrosion.)

If they STILL won't work, and the contacts are clean, then there is most likely a problem with the circuitry.

Klefmung

Post by Klefmung » Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:46 pm

No, it doesn't work unless you use emory boards and rub vigorously, then use the cue tip method. And repeat.
gannon wrote:hmm... *ponders about power abuse* :P
benheck wrote:Wow, guess I should have searched my own forums! Oh wait, I don't have to since the rules don't apply to me ;)

Mageslayer

Post by Mageslayer » Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:46 pm

Also, to be more specific, the SuperGB displays the screen you get when your gb game is dirty, but I am playing the same games in my GBA, so I dunno what's with that. I TRIED to get some alcohol in the GB end of my SGB but that's near impossible. Any more suggestions?
I once wrote:My head may be in the clouds, but the view up here is breathtaking.

Mageslayer

Post by Mageslayer » Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:47 pm

Klefmung wrote:No, it doesn't work unless you use emory boards and rub vigorously, then use the cue tip method. And repeat.
Isn't that like a nail file? :shock:

EDIT: bleh my bad on the double post.... he posted while I was typing my first response

Klefmung

Post by Klefmung » Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:50 pm

It is, but it works. Emory boards>you when cleaning carts
benheck wrote:Wow, guess I should have searched my own forums! Oh wait, I don't have to since the rules don't apply to me ;)

Mageslayer

Post by Mageslayer » Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:52 pm

How do you know you're not gonna mess up the game by filing it too much??? how much does one file?

Klefmung

Post by Klefmung » Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:02 pm

Take the rough side and rub vigorously. >_> you will dislodge the grime that way

Krepticor

Post by Krepticor » Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:24 pm

th point Klefmung is trying to make is that the grime needs a higher deree of brutality to remove it

If you are paranoid about the filing (I would be too) Take an X-acto knife and gently pick off the grime with the pointed end

this way only the grime is mortally wounded (not the copper contacts)
I refuse to dignify myself with an intelligent and witty signature

grahf

Post by grahf » Thu Sep 07, 2006 9:43 pm

You can go to Radioshack and buy contact cleaner in the parts isle. Its similar to the stuff thats advertised on tv all the time to remove oxidation from jewelry and silverware. Thats pretty much what you need. Dont sand or file the contacts. It may make them work, but you'll do more harm than good.

About the super gameboy, just insert and remove a cart about 25 times. That should get it going again.

Mageslayer

Post by Mageslayer » Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:36 pm

I re-alcoholed the living hell out of the Zelda cart an it works. :D However, the insertion/removal of a gb game into the SuperGB hasn't worked.... any more suggestions?

Krepticor

Post by Krepticor » Fri Sep 08, 2006 2:45 pm

try alchoholin' i like Zelda if that doesn't work well you are having an improper connection and All I can think of is that either it is broken or you need to clean the contacts

This isn't really rocket science...
I refuse to dignify myself with an intelligent and witty signature

Kenny_McCormic

Post by Kenny_McCormic » Sat Sep 09, 2006 10:50 am

use a folded up buissnes card with a lil alchohol for the sgb