(56k warning! LARGE PICS!) csurban's N64 Portable progress.

Includes but not limited to: SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, PlayStation 1, Nintendo 64, Dreamcast, Game Gear and I guess the Virtual Boy.

Moderator:Moderators

csurban
Portablizer
(56k warning! LARGE PICS!) csurban's N64 Portable progress.

Post by csurban » Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:36 am

Well... It took me 2 PSOne Screens, 2 N64's, 2 Project boxes, $150, and six months to make it where I am now. I basically finished the case, all thats left is for me to do is replace the power input (with something a little less skewed :oops: ) , and I am now waiting for my NOAC to come in the mail then I have to save some money for a new N64 MOBO. Here's the case so far.

Here you can see I filled the mistake holes with epoxy. The screen and speakers are fully functional as well as the tact buttons from RadioShack. The screen is running some Nickelodeon show just to show that it works.

Here is one side of the box with the fan grill and some internal component screws. The internals will be showed when I'm compleatly finished.

Here I finished drilling the NES ports. I'm holding the N64 mobo and the NES controllers in place just to show how it will look. :)

This is the side I put the most work into and am the most proud of. The AV IN/OUT will be able to input external signals (like T.V.) and output console signals to external sources (like playing the N64 or NES on the TV). Right now, the two power sources go to the same place but later I will make a distinction between the external and battery ports. The headphone jacks work so 2 people can listen at the same time.

Some facts...
-The overall size is 8" x 6" x 4"
-The current and later holes including the screen and AV port holes were created using a milling machine (that was the only way i could get I could cut with precision).
-There ARE and WILL NOT BE an onboard controller. I decided this because of the shape of the case, personal usage, and other reasons I really don't want to explain right now. Just know that if I really wanted an onboard controller, I would force myself to vacuum form it. I don't like those frakencases, functional but very unstylish (sorry to anyone who has one :? ). The project box is a compromise between beauty, functionality, and money.

Features to come...
-The consoles. (stupid UPS...)
-Hopefully be able to get the two consoles to work...
-Paint. unsure of the color right now... any suggestions?
-other stuff I forgot
-IT'S ALMOST DONE!!! NOT MUCH LEFT!!!

csurban's N64 Portable progress. Edited 9/6/06
Last edited by csurban on Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
nope... can't think of anything I could possibly want to put in my Signature Block...

ShockSlayer
Niblet 64

Post by ShockSlayer » Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:45 am

You MUST resize. :shock:

Good job on... your batterypowered screen!

SS
http://twitter.com/ShockSlayer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gump-in-space

Post by Gump-in-space » Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:50 am

Crap man, that's way too many power switches. :shock:
Gamelver wrote:aw, I thought they were gonna be Gameboys inside the bricks :P.

joevennix
Portablizer

Post by joevennix » Sun Sep 03, 2006 5:06 pm

ShockSlayer wrote:You MUST resize. :shock:

Good job on... your batterypowered screen!

SS
God man, thats so unnecessary, he worked hard and did a great job on his project, and you shoot him down. That's why the topic is called 'N64 Progress."

Anyway, csurban, I like your portable, it's nice and clean, the fact that it can play NES or N64 games is awesome in itself, and I can see how you wouldn't want a built in controller.

ShockSlayer
Niblet 64

Post by ShockSlayer » Sun Sep 03, 2006 5:48 pm

joe, I wasn't. I just posted real quick. It just has nothing in it, but its a battery powered screen so far, and it looks real good! I didn't mean any insults. Sorry.

SS :lol:

joevennix
Portablizer

Post by joevennix » Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:26 pm

Oh okay, you just came off a bit harsh, that's all. Cant wait till it's finished csurban so hurry up! (jk take your time, hurrying up generally takes longer in the end)

Klefmung

Post by Klefmung » Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:35 pm

The pics loaded alright, but I can't see them very well because I have to scroll. Can you size 'em a bit?
gannon wrote:hmm... *ponders about power abuse* :P
benheck wrote:Wow, guess I should have searched my own forums! Oh wait, I don't have to since the rules don't apply to me ;)

csurban
Portablizer

Post by csurban » Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:58 pm

sry bout size, did not check till later :oops:
about the switches, I need a master one for safety reason and conveinence. I have the fan switch to save power when running on batteries. The console and screen switch are independent from each other so I can turn off the screen when playing NES/N64 on a T.V. and turn off the consoles when using the screen as a T.V. When I came up with this, I told myself that this portable will be different then all the others and its getting there.
nope... can't think of anything I could possibly want to put in my Signature Block...

Klefmung

Post by Klefmung » Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:08 pm

It looks well built, but how do you fit your hands around it?
benheck wrote:Wow, guess I should have searched my own forums! Oh wait, I don't have to since the rules don't apply to me ;)

csurban
Portablizer

Post by csurban » Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:25 pm

why would I hold it in my hands? I'm holding the controller in my hands... My portable is more of a laptop instead of a handheld.

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:26 pm

Klefmung wrote:It looks well built, but how do you fit your hands around it?
I think he said that he is going to use an external controller.

Klefmung

Post by Klefmung » Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:39 pm

A laptop? Then why don't you put a lot of the guts in there in the controller portion? Try to even it out a bit, to make both halves of the laptop rather small and even.

csurban
Portablizer

Post by csurban » Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:37 pm

:?: :?: :?: What? I'm going to use is as follows: When I'm sitting down, The box goes on my lap or somewhere in front of me where I can see the screen good. Then I lay back with my original controller and play in comfort.

csurban
Portablizer

Post by csurban » Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:07 pm

updated pic #3 on 9/6/06. check it out.

ShockSlayer
Niblet 64

Post by ShockSlayer » Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:19 pm

Hell yeah! :D