The Crocodile Hunter is dead

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

gannon

Post by gannon » Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:51 pm

teraflop122 wrote:Oh, get off your soap box, Electric Rain.
Either you don't like him for saying laughing at death is wrong, or you don't understand sarcasm :roll:

Electric Rain
PSN Username:Denki_no_Ame

Post by Electric Rain » Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:48 pm

gannon wrote:
teraflop122 wrote:Oh, get off your soap box, Electric Rain.
you don't understand sarcasm :roll:
Clearly. :|

Indigno

Post by Indigno » Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:16 pm

Just so you know, I was not disrespecting him. He did live a dangerouse life and it really was bound to happen. Same way that a skydiver can hit the ground. It's a big loss, and he may have made a huge impact in his sport, but the fact remains that he led a dangerouse life. It doesn't mean that I don't respect the man or the fact that he's dead.

Of course, I don't think that Steve's was as dangerouse as a skydiver's, and he was a highly trained professional, but I couldn't really think of anything else to compare it to.
Getting a tan while everyone else is in a blizzard... >.<

teraflop122

Post by teraflop122 » Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:39 pm

Let me double check, maybe I misinterpretted your post...Nope.

Few of the people laughing in this thread are laughing at death. Most of them are laughing at the irony of the event. Our laughter does not make us the spawn of satan, cursed to life on such boards os 4chan and fchan and etc. If that were true, then my campus must be populated entirely by hell-spawn.

Oh, and according to CNN it was not the barb that killed him, it was the poison. He was not pierced through the heart like in some sappy soap opera, he violated the personal space of a poisonous animal. We've all seen it on his shows: watch as the crocodile hunter grabs the tail of this poisonous snake; watch as the crocodile hunter mows the grass inside the zoo habitat of a gigantic, territorial crocodile; etc, etc.

Sensationalist acts do not contribute to any fields of science, except perhaps medicine. Careful, calm, long observations taken in a scientifically sound way contribute to science. I'm sure Steve was somewhat qualified to do such studies, and running a zoo can be done in a safe manner, so all this danger could have been avoided without hindering the growth of knowledge.

Puff0rx

Post by Puff0rx » Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:26 pm

^agreed completely.

And I have a horrible joke all ready for when the rest of the world finds it less sad.

gannon

Post by gannon » Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:44 pm

teraflop122 wrote: Oh, and according to CNN it was not the barb that killed him, it was the poison.
And according to another news channel, it was the barb, not the poison. The blood that filled the sac around his heart basically squashed it.

sam fisher

Post by sam fisher » Tue Sep 05, 2006 5:46 pm

Jesus, get it right. The 5 inch barb penetrated his rib cage and punched in heart both in entry and exit. The damage was irrerairable.

Nonsense Man

Post by Nonsense Man » Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:07 pm

He was cool but kinda wierd most wierd was in his movie but it was pretty funny.

Trampoline

Post by Trampoline » Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:11 pm

Sorry if my laughter was distatesful, I was laughing at the irony NOT the actual death. Sorry.

Electric Rain
PSN Username:Denki_no_Ame

Post by Electric Rain » Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:06 pm

Trampoline wrote:Sorry if my laughter was distatesful, I was laughing at the irony NOT the actual death. Sorry.
Doesn't matter. Fact is, you're laughing about HOW a dead man was killed. Whatever.

Trampoline

Post by Trampoline » Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:41 pm

How is a dead man killed? :roll: Sorry had to do it cause you got on my case.

daguuy
Portablizer

Post by daguuy » Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:52 pm

man that sucks. Steve Irwin was awsome
ImageImage

Steve-o

Post by Steve-o » Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:36 pm

Again, the odds of this happening is extremly low, this is only the 2nd or 3rd time someone has been killed by a stingray. Normally, the poisened barb would sting a little and cause minor damage, but it fully punctured his heart. Amazingly he was able to pull the barb out of his heart before he was knocked unconsious. It was caught on tape and the video is locked up in the Australia police system, so I highly doubt that it will ever be surfaced.
PSp is about 70% done, just have to do the controller and case.

sgtpepper

Post by sgtpepper » Tue Sep 05, 2006 10:55 pm

To clear up the various inaccuracies that have been stated so far, here's what Wikipedia says about it-
Shortly after 11:00 a.m. local time (01:00 UTC) on 4 September 2006, Irwin was fatally pierced in the chest by a short-tail stingray barb whilst snorkeling in Batt Reef, which is part of the Great Barrier Reef, off the coast of Port Douglas in Queensland. Irwin was in the area filming his own documentary, to be called The Ocean's Deadliest, but weather had stalled filming. Irwin decided to take the opportunity to film some shallow water shots for a segment in the television program his daughter Bindi was hosting, when, according to his friend and colleague, John Stainton, he swam too close to one of the animals. "He came on top of the stingray and the stingray's barb went up and into his chest and put a hole into his heart," said Stainton, who was on board Irwin's boat the Croc One.
The events were caught on camera, and the footage was handed to the Queensland Police. After reviewing the footage of the incident and speaking to the cameraman who recorded it, marine documentary filmmaker and former spearfisherman Ben Cropp speculated that the stingray "felt threatened because Steve was alongside and there was the cameraman ahead." In such a case, the stingray responds to "danger from above" by automatically flexing the serrated barb on its tail (which can measure up to a maximum of 25cm/10in in length) in an upward motion.
Cropp said Irwin had accidentally boxed in the animal. "It stopped and twisted and threw up its tail with the spike, and it caught him in the chest. It's a defensive thing. It's like being stabbed with a dirty dagger." The stinging of Irwin by the bull ray was "a one-in-a-million thing," Cropp told Time magazine. "I have swum with many rays, and I have only had one do that to me."
Some reports have claimed that after the incident, Irwin was shown on tape pulling the barb out, before losing consciousness, but this was both confirmed and denied by his colleague, John Stainton, in different sources. It is thought, in the absence of a coroner's report, that a combination of the toxins and the puncture wound from the barb caused Irwin to die of an apparent cardiac arrest with most damage being inflicted by tears to arteries or other main blood vessels. It is also possible that he died quickly as a result of a punctured aorta. It is also thought that shock could have played a role in his death. Until the coroner's report is released, however, the precise cause of Irwin's death remains conjecture.
Crew members aboard his boat called the emergency services in the nearest city of Cairns and administered CPR as they rushed the boat to nearby the Low Islets to meet a rescue helicopter. Medical staff pronounced Irwin dead when they arrived a short time later. According to Dr. Ed O'Loughlin, who treated Irwin, "it became clear fairly soon that he had non-survivable injuries. . . . He had a penetrating injury to the left front of his chest. He had lost his pulse and wasn't breathing."
Irwin's body was flown to a morgue in Cairns. His wife was on a walking tour in Cradle Mountain-Lake St Clair National Park in Tasmania at the time, and returned via a private plane from Devonport to the Sunshine Coast with their two children.
This was only the third known Australian fatality from a stingray, and the first since 1945. As of 1996, only seventeen worldwide fatalities had been recorded, and it is believed to be the only fatality from a stingray ever captured on film.
 My iBook's modded logo!
Jobs vs Gates Google Fight!

BradLancaster

Post by BradLancaster » Wed Sep 06, 2006 12:45 am

*o* wrote:lol i see...for a moment i thought u guys could see the future :P
copulate yeah man.. The future will have plastic every thing but an oil shortage... think about that toster man.
Cennar rest in peaces.
1986-2006

the Benheckendorn forums
2004-2005
may she never be forgotten
yeah as far as im concerned its been dead since then