Nintendo controller on a PS2

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

theDentist
Nintendo controller on a PS2

Post by theDentist » Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:59 pm

I figured if anyone has heard of this, you guys would. I'm thinking about getting ( or making ) something that will let me play a PS2 with a Nintendo Controller. ( ultimately I want to use the power glove for Gran Turismo ) Has anyone heard of anyone doing this? How hard ( if possible ) would it be to make? Anyone with any thoughts on this? :)

benol

Post by benol » Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:06 pm

why would you want to do that in the first place? the PS2 has 6 more buttons than the NES so you wouldn't be able to control it.
PM me for DS friend codes. PLEASE!
DOLGAT IS REAL!!!!

Help My MyMiniCity, plzkthxbai

theDentist

Post by theDentist » Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:36 pm

again, because I want to use the Power Glove for Gran Tursimo. You're just using the gas and the brake anyway.

benol

Post by benol » Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:58 pm

then it would be probable, nay possible to do it, though you'd have to sacrifice a nes controller and a ps2 controller.
PM me for DS friend codes. PLEASE!
DOLGAT IS REAL!!!!

Help My MyMiniCity, plzkthxbai

Krepticor

Post by Krepticor » Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:31 pm

ok essentially what you would have to do is swap out the NES Power Glove guts with the PS2 controller guts

and essentially it would just be a limited hardware functionality and that won't be too hard (minor hardware hacks)

Unless you don't want to ruint the functionality of the power glove to the NES, then you wold have a very complicated programming task in front of you,

See the format of the NES controller ad the PS2 controller are VERY different, the NES boils down to the up/down philosophy and the PS2 does something more complicated

Syncing an up/Down with a PS2 format would be the hard part
I refuse to dignify myself with an intelligent and witty signature

Kurt_
Portablizer
Steam ID:kurbert

Post by Kurt_ » Mon Sep 04, 2006 7:59 pm

But in racing games you don't need up and down. :D
Hey, sup?

NES_fanatic

Post by NES_fanatic » Mon Sep 04, 2006 8:54 pm

Madcatz made this a few years ago:

Krepticor

Post by Krepticor » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:36 am

Kurt_

Read through Ben's book I am talking about the electrical signal displaying whether the switch is up or down

as in every button on the NES is on up until the switch is engaged and the rresitor tranfers the current to the "up" position
I refuse to dignify myself with an intelligent and witty signature

blackbox_dev

Post by blackbox_dev » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:43 am

Well, that's basically how the PS2 controller works as well. It all boils down to what encoder chip the controller uses though. I know that the NES uses a 4021 8-bit shift register, which basically converts parallel data (buttons either on/off) into serial. Gamesx.com has more information if you want to read about it.
I'd imagine right now you wish you were a cuttlefish...

Adeptus

Post by Adeptus » Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:36 pm

Best way to do it would be to build an interface circuit, so you can plug in any controller & have it work.
Either one to decode the NES & one to encode the PSX signal, or use a programmable microcontroller (eg, PIC) to do the lot.

There are circuit schematics for making a PSX controller using off-the-shelf chips (linked off GamesX I think?) and if you look up the NES chip (4021?) you can find out how to build a decoder circuit for it too.

Oh, and I believe the PS2 uses analog buttons, though I don't think there's many games that actually use them that way. PSX controllers work just fine.

theDentist

Post by theDentist » Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:49 am

That's exactly what I was thinking. I really don't want to take apart the Power Glove to do it, so I was thinking of some type of go between for the connection. Thanks for all the info everyone. :)