Magnets

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

Trampoline
Magnets

Post by Trampoline » Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:05 pm

Hello,
I am making a nesp and I want to have a battery access door like Ben's on his nes handbuilt portable. Except I don't want to use velcro. I think it looks kind of cheesy. So I was thinking could I get some powerful magnets and use those to attach the door to the case. My question is, could this mess up my nes or battery or anything? I have heard things about putting magnets on computers and that they screw it up. Could this happen to my nes? Thanks!
-Jesse

vb_master

Post by vb_master » Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:20 pm

The magnet would have to be very, very strong to mess anything up. It will be fine.

codeman

Post by codeman » Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:38 pm

The main reason that magnets screw up a computer is because all the data on your hard drive is stored magnetically. If you put a strong magnet near it it will realign the data bits and everything will go crazy. There's probably nothing in an old NES that will get messed up with magnets.
What I have shown you is reality. What you remember, that is the illusion.

"Say, what does this button do?"

All the dishes rattle in the cupboards when the elephants arrive

blackbox_dev

Post by blackbox_dev » Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:53 pm

codeman wrote:The main reason that magnets screw up a computer is because all the data on your hard drive is stored magnetically. If you put a strong magnet near it it will realign the data bits and everything will go crazy. There's probably nothing in an old NES that will get messed up with magnets.
Yup, basically hard drives and floppies. Also, magnets will temporarily screw with a CRT monitor (don't worry about LCDs) :)
I'd imagine right now you wish you were a cuttlefish...

Trampoline

Post by Trampoline » Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:55 pm

Thank you very much. The magnet will be strong enough so it will be semi hard to take off but will still come off without prying. Are you sure this will be ok? Thanks!

blackbox_dev

Post by blackbox_dev » Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:59 pm

Fo' shizzle! :D
I'd imagine right now you wish you were a cuttlefish...

bioniclebert

Post by bioniclebert » Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:09 pm

I thought that batteries were effeted by magnets, is this true? (I'm a bit busy at the moment to go test it myself.)
Making XNA Games in C#.

Kyosho
Portablizer

Post by Kyosho » Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:40 pm

I've never really thought about it, but would magnets affect memory cards? They're like flash memory right? So I have no idea. Is flash memory stored magnetically?

Life of Brian

Post by Life of Brian » Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:29 pm

Check out the ones I used on the battery compartments in my SNESp build. Get your hands on some Rare Earth magnets, about 1/8" diameter, 1/16" thick (something like that anyway). They rock! I think I got like 50 of them for $6 off of eBay.
dragonhead wrote:sweet. ive spent a third of my life on benheck!

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Fri Sep 01, 2006 5:46 am

Kyosho wrote:I've never really thought about it, but would magnets affect memory cards? They're like flash memory right? So I have no idea. Is flash memory stored magnetically?
No flash ram doesn't store magneticly. It uses non-volatile ram which is more simalar to the main memory ram in your computer, the difference is that non-volatile doens't need power to keep the data stored. If flash ram did store magneticly it would have more then the average 300,000 rewrites.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

totokan

Post by totokan » Fri Sep 01, 2006 8:37 am

err... nowadays, hard drive/disk shielding is so thick/strong, magnets do nothing unless you've got some insanely strong ones.
Shhh! I'm not officially back yet.

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:18 am

totokan wrote:err... nowadays, hard drive/disk shielding is so thick/strong, magnets do nothing unless you've got some insanely strong ones.
Like the kind of magnets they use in hard drives? Really I can understand if you're playing around with a simple magnetic clip that's ment for the refrigerator you might get away, but there's always the chance. Follow my idea and don't even risk it.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.