Anyone Tried Hacking this?

If you're making a portable you probably need something to watch it on. (Unless you want to guess what's happening in the game, but I wouldn't advise that) Anyway, this forum is your "Hacking a pocket TV/screen" one-stop solution. Share your experiences and knowledge here.

Moderator:Moderators

mog123
Anyone Tried Hacking this?

Post by mog123 » Fri Jun 02, 2006 5:16 am

http://allegro.pl/item106867754_nowa_me ... a_gw_.html

it has quality, and looks stable, but did anyone try it, and could i use it for a portable?

Kurt_
Portablizer
Steam ID:kurbert

Post by Kurt_ » Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:18 pm

It'd help if that was in english. I don't understand any of that.
Hey, sup?

geekbait111

Post by geekbait111 » Fri Jun 02, 2006 3:24 pm

ya... I really doubt anyone would have bought that/inspected it becauase it's foreign and may region coded. plus it might be like the gameboy (have to have whole console to use as screen). And it's really rare for foreign person to buy foreign non-popular things. so unless someone corrects me it's a

PROBABLY because I was probably wrong :D
Last edited by geekbait111 on Fri Jun 02, 2006 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mog123

Post by mog123 » Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:04 pm

http://nesworld.parodius.com/p8-onestation.htm

Its not only foreign, it's in the usa too (i think) and it has AUDIO-L AURIO-R VIDEO Output, so it can be connected to a tv, but i dont know if backwards ;)

Corscaria

Post by Corscaria » Sat Jun 03, 2006 9:13 am

Hmm, one of the carts for that thing have the same games as the vgPocket Max, and is actually labeled Pocket Max. Possibly the same hardware, modified to use carts. But no one will know unlees someone gets one and opens it up.

If it is a modified version of the vgPocket Max, it may use the same LCD which is analog RGB. Thus it should possible to use with systems that output RGB. It may take a bit of work to get it going, as the interface is a bit more complex than VGA.

daleighan

Post by daleighan » Sat Jun 03, 2006 11:31 am

i think success-hk sells those

minkster

Post by minkster » Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:06 pm

Hmm..I really wonder if you can mod one of those things to play SNES games. The cartridges that are manufactured have one missing pins like on NES carts. But eh, I don't fee like buying one :P
Minktendo-Dead
Next portable: who knows ;)

Corscaria

Post by Corscaria » Sun Jun 04, 2006 1:13 pm

no snes on a chip are known to exist.

tom61

Post by tom61 » Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:18 pm

Corscaria wrote:no snes on a chip are known to exist.
Take a look at the link, in addition to running NES/8-bit games it also has 16-bit games compatable with it, hence the wondering if it is SNES compatable. I doubt it, as there'd likely be a pirate cart full of SNES games for the handheld if it were compatable. Still, I'm wondering what the 16-bit side of the setup is like, and if it's based on anything.

Corscaria

Post by Corscaria » Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:13 pm

the device is manufactured by JungleTac. A company that produces many 8 and 16 bit handheld systems, this looks to be thier first dual platform version. the 8bit systems are widely believed to be NOAC.

I know little of thier 16 bit systems, but thier logo for 16bits strongly resembles the Genisis's 16bit logo. It is more likely a GOAC for the 16bit side than an SNES-OAC. Unless ofcourse it's neither, but something completely different. I know several chip manufacturers are pumping out so called "game chips" which are 16bit, but have no relation at all to any existing game system, they are simply 16 bit microcontrollers with a built in framebuffer and NTSC/PAL ouput, a few even have hardware sprite accelleration.

JungleTac normally liscenses out thier products for branding rather than selling directly.

Reaperman@home

Post by Reaperman@home » Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:47 am

if I'm grave digging and there are other posts about this, just give me a kick for not being in here enough. I did search however.

Advanced jungletacs have recently sprung up around the web and at success-hk.com, they've been disected and the good news is that it contains NO PROCESSOR. great news, because the chip is *in the game carts* (or 16-bit adapter cartridge) opening up a whole can of screen modding goodness. actually, it's whole-system usage. Just wire up ntsc video, audio, controls and power from the handy pins to the system of your choice.

getting a pinout doesn't exactly look difficult

internal pics
http://www.portabledev.info/index.php/D ... geschraubt

purchase link
http://www.success-hk.com/product_html/ ... nsole.html

again, if this is useless grave digging feel free to scold me, I was just so thrilled when I saw it on success-hk.com last night, that I had to figure out everything I could about it.

I'm seeing another c64 attempt in my future. Unless I miss my guess, and these are terrible quality, they may become the next 'ps1 monitor' for modders. Though I have a basic jungletac already, and the screen/sound are decent. hopefully the controller is improved.

Reaperman@home

Post by Reaperman@home » Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:25 pm

well, I'm rapidly falling for this cute little system. and can't wait to figure out exactly how useful/universal those cartridge pins are. I've been trying to order one for a bit, but my work machine doesn't like success-hk very much.

just a couple links to flesh the system out--since I don't really feel like opening up a proper thread in forum 42 to worship it properly.

here's a video of her in 16-bit mode. she's pretty snazzy:
http://www.dailymotion.com/Nilhcem/video/283671

here's a review with some great pictures and pics of the games in the multi-carts:
http://nesworld.parodius.com/p8-onestation.htm

Adeptus

Post by Adeptus » Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:49 pm

There was another thread about this recently, but not in so much technical detail...

In theory, you could modularise all your whatever-on-a-chip systems & just plug them into this!

"Oh I'm sick of playing C64 games, I'll slot in my (Atari/Nes/Genesis) module instead..."
8)

Life of Brian

Post by Life of Brian » Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:00 pm

Hmm, only $28.52.... Tempting... For a screen that size or just for being the poor man's GameBoy Micro, it's a tempting buy...
dragonhead wrote:sweet. ive spent a third of my life on benheck!

Adeptus

Post by Adeptus » Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:04 pm

It's also an OLED screen, so should be low power usage

edit: found the other thread... http://benheck.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=13812