Perpetual motion/Free energy

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

Super Cameraman

Post by Super Cameraman » Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:17 am

Wow, this is interesting! So this replaces power plants? Like intead of running off of water you use this? Like a wind turbine without wind? Sweet! Or a magnet powered car! I think it could work in conjunction with elecricity. Like use electromagnets to make it more powerful. And so you can controll the speed.

-Super
If you're looking at this post and it was made before 2008, just ignore it.

totokan

Post by totokan » Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:20 am

Mythbusters tested free energy. They wasted a whole episode on it! It failed.
Shhh! I'm not officially back yet.

totokan

Post by totokan » Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:37 am

Sorry, I didn't see the whole thing. just the end. I saw the re-analysis, though.

Super Cameraman

Post by Super Cameraman » Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:42 am

They put coils of wire up high new power lines. It failed miserably. They got enough power to ALMOST power one LED.

-Super

Indigno

Post by Indigno » Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:53 am

I saw it, and they admitted that it can't really be called free energy because the power is coming from a power plant and therefor isn't free.

I believe, that if perpetual motion was to ever be created, it would most likely be done in space. Due to the zero gravity and no air resistance, it would be the perfect environment for something to keep moving.

Oh, BTW, the site's down.
Getting a tan while everyone else is in a blizzard... >.<

Super Cameraman

Post by Super Cameraman » Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:15 am

Yeah! We could put a really big one of these in space and have long wires coming down to every house in the world! :D

-Super

SpongeBuell

Post by SpongeBuell » Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:22 am

I have one idea to get perpetual motion, but don't know if (or think that) it would would work. Have you ever seen those generators you put on your bike tire to have a batteryless headlight? You could greatly improve the efficiency of how those things work, and then connect it to a motor rather than a light. It may work better to have 2 generators connected to the same motor, I'm not sure, but it's a starting idea :)
Life of Brian wrote:
RYW wrote:RYW:

Rare
Yellow
Weasel
I'll be honest with you - I would have never guessed that.

Super Cameraman

Post by Super Cameraman » Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:23 am

What if you powered a light by a solar panel... And powered the solar panel from that same light... Would that work?

-Super

Super Cameraman

Post by Super Cameraman » Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:28 am

Darn. Are you sure?

-Super

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:37 am

The closest thing to free energy is hydro-electric, geo-thermal and (can't remember the name) another thermal power plant. The reason being once you get the plants you're not investing anymore money into having electricity generated. They're all powered by either a renewable power source or 100% self contained.

Also the elaberate the third power plant type I mentioned involves using the pressure and cold temperatures of the deep ocean to have something like amonia condence into a liquid and use it to move thermal energy. Like going backward with a refrigerator.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

benheck
Site Admin

Post by benheck » Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:15 am

Yeah I'd agree with Spark, any energy-source Earth related that doesn't use fossil fuels is basically a free energy source.

Take ocean wave generators, which is a new thing I guess. Waves come from the Moon orbiting Earth, thus in a way you're harnassing the movement of the entire solar system to get power.

One thing to consider is that any sort of power generating device creates friction on the source, be it a river or wave. Granted it's a drop in the bucket, but they probably said that about CO2 levels 50 years ago.

I think ground source heat pumps are cool, expensive, but worth it. We waste so much energy in conventional ways it's often hard to think of alternatives.

Final note: there will never be an end to the Energy Companies of Doom! While it may seem odd that BP and Shell invest so much in alternative fuels, it's because they want to be ready for the day when oil runs out (or the Mideast plain blows up) and then they'll be ready to sell you their wave/geothermal/whatever power. Since you or I probably can't set up an infastructure to use waves to power New York, we're always going to need these billion-dollar behemoths to do it.

timmeh87

Post by timmeh87 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:40 am

maybe you should take that hotlinked image out of your first post. it might help with the bandwidth thingy.

making ethanol from plants is pretty "free". they keep growing back!

"Linux is only free if your time is worthless"

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:38 pm

timmeh87 wrote:making ethanol from plants is pretty "free". they keep growing back!
But you need tractors to plant, harvest, and transport them, and they burn fuel. And I think I read somewhere that for every gallon of ethanol made, theres like 10 or 20 gallons of waste water. I think ethanol and hydrogen are a bunch of crap, hydrogen needs a way to be separated from oxygen, and that takes electricity. I'm thinkin' cold (or regular) fusion's gonna be the best bet. :)

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:36 pm

timmeh87 wrote:making ethanol from plants is pretty "free". they keep growing back!
Ethanol from plants is a renewable fuel source not a free one. You have to grow it, collect it, filter it and then ferment it. Too much work to keep it even remotely free.
vskid wrote:But you need tractors to plant, harvest, and transport them, and they burn fuel. And I think I read somewhere that for every gallon of ethanol made, theres like 10 or 20 gallons of waste water. I think ethanol and hydrogen are a bunch of crap, hydrogen needs a way to be separated from oxygen, and that takes electricity. I'm thinkin' cold (or regular) fusion's gonna be the best bet. Smile
Well everything cost fresh water, so to claim that it cost fresh water is like saying food cost money. Also there have been plans for awhile that if we switched to a hydrogen based economy local fuel stations could use solar power to crack hydrogen and oxygen apart, it doesn't require too much energy to do just a lot when you need to fill a car. Cold fusion is a myth, and until the Brits can get that nuclear reactor outputing power rather then drawing it in we wont have it.

Really Ethanol is the bridge to hydrogen. And we're going to need hydrogen anyways if we do manage to make fusion reactors.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

totokan

Post by totokan » Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:56 pm

Controlled fusion is what we need. That would solve energy problems. Of course, we don't know what it could cause, as it's not been actually tested in practice.