Wireless mouse hack possible? (just click)

Do you have a technical question that doesn't really fit a specific console? Want some general info on electronics, hacking, making cookies, etc? Here's the place to ask! Go nuts.

Moderator:Moderators

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3
Wireless mouse hack possible? (just click)

Post by vskid » Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:22 pm

I was thinking the other day, what if you could use the mouse part to send a different signal to the reciever? My idea is to have the mouse wireless send maybe a video signal instead of the mouse clicks and movements. Then the reciever would get the signal and send it to the screen. Does anyone think this is possible? If so it could be used for wireless video transfer or possibly a wireless USB port. I mentioned it in my palm vnc thread, but decided that it should have its own thread so that it won't take over the other thread.

Adeptus

Post by Adeptus » Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:04 pm

I doubt it.
Even if you could get it sending some other sort of data (with the various issues of encoding & decoding it) I doubt there would be enough bandwidth for anything as complicated as video.

vskid

Post by vskid » Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:19 pm

Adeptus wrote:I doubt it.
Even if you could get it sending some other sort of data (with the various issues of encoding & decoding it) I doubt there would be enough bandwidth for anything as complicated as video.
Ya, of course the encoder and decoder would have to be bypassed. I didn't think about bandwidth issues, maybe it will be enough.

*o*

Post by *o* » Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:31 am

well 90% of wireless mice use analog rf meaning signal ranges of millivolts, if it was digital it would be more possible.

however you can buy fairly cheap wireless boards which may be able to work, research them i guess...
Penn & Teller wrote:It's BULLS#%@

totokan

Post by totokan » Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:09 am

Couldn't you just interface with an IR port? Most mobos have a header for it, and almost all laptops have one built in. Seems like an easier thing to do, but that's just my opinion. Also, I doubt 'bandwith' is an issue is close-range RF, unless you want to stream video. If you just want to use it to hold data, you probably could, but the data transfer rate (NOT BANDWITH!!!) would be sub-par. Why not check out the new wireless usb standard?
Shhh! I'm not officially back yet.

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:28 am

Is this anything like what you want to do? Well it sounds like a neat idea, opitical mice just don't have the signal strengh to send a quality image and the sensor as you see in the hack-a-day post is really just for reading if the mouse moved, not very good for photo like image or video.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

vskid

Post by vskid » Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:01 pm

Sparkfist wrote:Is this anything like what you want to do? Well it sounds like a neat idea, opitical mice just don't have the signal strengh to send a quality image and the sensor as you see in the hack-a-day post is really just for reading if the mouse moved, not very good for photo like image or video.
No, I was thinking of completely abandoning the mouse sensor and switches and sending something else with it.
Couldn't you just interface with an IR port?
That might be easier, but IR is line of sight.
I might try something with my wireless pc remote since its never used.