Tiny Computer

Want to just shoot the breeze? Forum 42 is the place!

Moderator:Moderators

x24
Tiny Computer

Post by x24 » Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:35 pm

Hey everyone, been gone for a while.. Id talk about how things are going with my portables but updates are nill but I'd like to mention this little thing Ive been working with at my current job..

Its a very small computer made by Compaq.. its name is the Evo T20.. the thing's size is only alittle bigger than a DVD case and has a 300Mhz processor in it with up 256 MB of ram.. it uses a connection to a server computer tho to access data as it has no hard drive in it..

Im just wondering if anyone has seen this, seen the insides of it, know of any hacks for it.. anything cool anyways.. the price is very low on eBay for the lower end ones (96MB of ram etc is as low as $30 CAD)

Nick

Post by Nick » Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:43 pm

Does it have USB? If so, you could hook it up to an external.
Refusing to change my avatar since like freakin 2007.

Adeptus

Post by Adeptus » Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:58 pm

That would be what's known as a Thin Client.
They usually run something like Windows CE, and connect to a Windows Terminal Server.

You may also be able to connect to a Linux server and use it as an X Terminal but not sure of that...

Indigno

Post by Indigno » Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:06 pm

Looks to me like a PDA without a screen or batteries. Though, if nyone's up to the challenge, it could be ;)
Getting a tan while everyone else is in a blizzard... >.<

blackbox_dev

Post by blackbox_dev » Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:13 pm

Is the processor x86 based?
I'd imagine right now you wish you were a cuttlefish...

Harshboy
Portablizer

Post by Harshboy » Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:20 pm

theres a site that says how to run linux on it (no server required) but its down and googles cached version only shows the first page. If i could find more out about this i wonder if i could use this as a web server?

Also, it seems to have:

ethernet
4 USB ports
VGA port

.....thats all i found.

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Mon Aug 28, 2006 7:44 pm

I was at the monthy computer flea market expo in my area. One vender had these old NEC laptops that were the size of a portable DVD player, had a USB port, screen, full keyboard, and yeah about the processing power of a graphic calculator. I thought of grabbing one up as it was only $12 for one, but the friend who was with me said it's really not worth it and I kind of agreed.

There are also some really small form laptops made today. For those that watch "Pimp My Ride", if you've see the episode they give the guy a new car and a laptop, the laptop is little bigger then a portable DVD player. Just something those of you with money to spare can look at the possiblity of getting or those like me can just 'oggle over.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

im_an_alien

Post by im_an_alien » Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:00 pm

The Toshiba Libretto CT series laptops were the size of a VHS tape, and the newer librettos are the size of a dvd case!
<(im_an_alien)>
24 year old computer ftw!

gannon

Post by gannon » Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:17 pm

Well, you could run LTS on it if it has a network bootable NIC.